The Student Room Group

BTEC national diplomas vs. A-levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jturner12
What do you consider harder?? BTEC courses also have Exams.. they have practical assessments. These must have evidence such as video evidence which is reviewed and verified internally by other tutors and externally at random.

I can never understand why people are obsessed with comparing A levels and BTEC and gauging intelligence on written Exams.. I think it was Albert Einstein (thought to be very "intelligent"?) that said " Everybody is a genius... but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid"

Because some people don't like spending 8 hours a day reading and revising... but prefer learning through practical experiences.. doesn't mean it is any easier learn.. and it doesn't mean University's should shunt people that choose play on their strengths rather than choose academic A Levels and hate the subjects they take...

I would like to see someone doing A-levels get in front of a class of 20 students.. or the public... or the in a work based situation and APPLY their knowledge under pressure while maintaining a good level of customer service.. awareness of health and safety etc.. completely different kettle of fish.. and in my eyes shouldn't be compared...

Excellent post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
New green-gemmed account is in beta stages. See you on the other side
it depends on the subject, i think BTEC is preffered for Art and design. A-level students have to sometimes take a foundation course after when a BTEC student doesn't.
Original post by yt7777
Just a quick point to add in, there was a recent study based on the most recent set of graduates who achieved a 1st class honors degree, a higher percentage of them people took a BTEC at college/further education appose to A Levels.
That is all :P

Source?

Posted from TSR Mobile
New green-gemmed account is in beta stages. See you on the other side
Let me tell you now that BTEC Extended Diplomas are not soft core, nor any easier than that of A-Levels. I recently studied both a Level 2 First Diploma and Level 3 National Diploma in performing arts Acting.

Granted the Level 2 was soft core as it only equates to GCSE level. The Level 3 on the other hand pushed me in my subject area like A- Levels simply couldn't. I learnt all aspects of my body, voice and mind. I learnt about eighteen hours per week of acting technique also. It was highly vocational and to the extent that I found myself doing around 22 hours per week studying drama, business and historical context, at college alone.

Outside of college I also studied elocution lessons and speech therapy as well as yoga in order to better myself in my subject area - just like revising for A-Levels. We also had to revise for exams known as LAMDA Exams (London Academy of Music and Performing Arts), in order to gain more UCAS points. I also had to study outside of college for a full term in order to gain my Level 2 in Stage Combat - another desirable certificate in performing arts. All of this accumulated to over 10 hours worth of study per week.

On top of all this, written assignments had to be completed throughout the course - 18 assignments for 18 units, each at 15,000 - 20,000 words, research excluded. This took time to complete also.

Then don't forget, that in drama, you need to learn lines, accents, sometimes physical embodiments( especially with physical theatre; Grotowski, etc'). All of this takes time.

in the end, I found myself committing on average over forty hours per week of study which easily competes with A- Levels. Then, when it is all based in the same subject area, you can grow tired and stressed even more so. Don't forget that acting demands talent as well as knowledge too - which A-Levels only seem to focus on!

So what I gather is, some BTECs are easier but there are some that demand a hell of a lot more from you than A-Levels. As a result, top schools that cater for drama like RADA, LAMDA, CSSD, Bristol Old Vic, etc' prefer BTECs . I can see this being the way with many more subject areas.

BTECs are not a walk in the park! It took me hours upon hours of intense work to achieve D*D*D - the second best grade. Shows you that not everyone achieves that elite D*D*D*.
Reply 24
Original post by alexissocool
But aren't BTEC's vocational in nature anyway? Sports Science, Media Studies, Social Work, Applied Science, Health and Social Care, Construction, Electrical, mechanical and Jewellery making to name a few.

So what is your problem with A-level media studies anyway?

They are not all BTEC courses know what you are writing is correct before you post it.
Reply 25
Finished BTEC national extended diploma in IT practitioners (software development) last year and I just finished my first year at the University of Liverpool studying computer science. It doesn't matter what qualification is better to have. Only thing that matters is how desperately you want to achieve you're ambitions.
Reply 26
Original post by LilcompT
Finished BTEC national extended diploma in IT practitioners (software development) last year and I just finished my first year at the University of Liverpool studying computer science. It doesn't matter what qualification is better to have. Only thing that matters is how desperately you want to achieve you're ambitions.

How did you feel about the jump from BTEC to a university degree. Was it a big jump? Because I have just finished my BTEC and I'm going to Uni in October and I'm worried about the workload and the difficulty level of the degree.
Reply 27
At my university, the first year is pretty much recapping on what you learnt at college or sixth form, and from many A level students I met in my course, most of them didn't know programming languages or the fundamentals of programming, despite them getting high grades in IT, computing, physics etc. Although I think universities are starting to teach new content as the technology grows in sophistication.

BTEC prepared me for the programming side and gave me an edge over the A-level students, where unfortunately they had the advantage of social communication and I didn't.

If you are considering Computer Science (also depends on what university), it will teach you the basics in the first semester, into more advanced topics after christmas, but also the exams at the end of the year will be based on your understanding of the questions and not memorizing them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by madmadmax321
Even though BTEC can be easier, A-levels are more sort after when going to unis and open up more courses and uni's to chose from as some uni's do not consider BTEC's because they do not cover some of the right topics. So A-levels are harder but they are in a sense better than BTECS. So in answer to your questions they are not regarded in the same light at the moment (A-levels are still considered to be better) and also for a course that requires say 360 or higher UCAS points e.g. medicine, medical schools wont even consider BTEC's as they do not cover the correct topics even the chem and bio ones.

The last part isn't quite accurate in my opinion - RVC accept BTECs with good GCSEs (and a good BMAT score) for courses like Vetinary/Biovetinary Science
I think it's more that A levels carry more weight is all - an A* at A2 is better than a D* in a BTEC, so they probably look at it on an individual basis and judge whether it's worth accepting the BTEC student
Original post by Andrew5879
The last part isn't quite accurate in my opinion - RVC accept BTECs with good GCSEs (and a good BMAT score) for courses like Vetinary/Biovetinary Science
I think it's more that A levels carry more weight is all - an A* at A2 is better than a D* in a BTEC, so they probably look at it on an individual basis and judge whether it's worth accepting the BTEC student

take what I said with a pinch of salt as I did post it a year ago :tongue:
Reply 30
Original post by aziz95
How did you feel about the jump from BTEC to a university degree. Was it a big jump? Because I have just finished my BTEC and I'm going to Uni in October and I'm worried about the workload and the difficulty level of the degree.

Well the workload varies from uni to uni, also depends on what BTEC course you did as BTEC in IT practioners is quite intensive so I was used to it at uni. But tbh you'll find out in september how it really is. But just work hard, thats the main thing and not worry about the workload :smile:
Reply 31
take what I said with a pinch of salt as I did post it a year ago :tongue:

True enough, but I'm only just reading this :P
I started a BTEC last September, and have already done about 100k words in coursework, along with practical assignments, experiments etc do make sure I got my D* for this part of the course, on top of 300+ hours of work experience.
I don't think so many people appreciate that because BTEC students choose to study a particular course the tutors often don't push them to get the highest grades because it's expected.
Maintaining motivation throughout and completing every single assignment isn't easy, especially when you can have several due in during a given week, and especially when the tutors are behind marking so you get 12 back in 2 days, as happened to me.
If during the interview stage you can highlight these traits about yourself then there's no reason a strong BTEC student can't be as eligible to get a place at a university that accepts BTECs as an A level student
Reply 32
Original post by LilcompT

Well said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Even though BTEC can be easier, A-levels are more sort after when going to unis and open up more courses and uni's to chose from as some uni's do not consider BTEC's because they do not cover some of the right topics. So A-levels are harder but they are in a sense better than BTECS. So in answer to your questions they are not regarded in the same light at the moment (A-levels are still considered to be better) and also for a course that requires say 360 or higher UCAS points e.g. medicine, medical schools wont even consider BTEC's as they do not cover the correct topics even the chem and bio ones.

But surely BTEC is more focussed on the topic you want to in university? For example I heard that some universities will even allow the student to go to the second year of their university course if they have covered the first year syllabus in the college. Therefore I would have thought that BTEC would have covered all the topics in order for you to be prepared for university?
Reply 34
A-levels are better to keep your options open for university but BTEC is better if you know what you want to do at university unless there isn't a BTEC in that subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have done as levels and now i am doing a btec course instead of a levels
i go to a good school (habs) so a btec isnt for someone who isnt smart, a level exams require a parrot fashion memory a btec makes u put what u learn into action, one is not better than the other they are better suited to different kinds of people
scrap both for the ib pls...

[INDENT]to know that one is harder, you would have done both which i doubt you have therefore your opinion is invalid as there is no evidence to back it up. Btecs are just as respected as a levels and in my opinion are harder as you have to put what you learn into action through coursework assignments where as in a level exams you can merely get an a through parrot fshion learning for some subjects[/INDENT]

Reply 38
I’m doing a Art and Design BTEC. i always know i wanted to go down the art rout so there was no need for more then one subject. i have got distinctions in every unit and that is because i am eat, berthing living art. if i did A Levels i would have had to do a foundation diploma, which is a BTEC.

i was going to do A Levels because of the prejudice. My friends looked down upon it because it was apparently “easer” and it bloody well isn’t. BETEC is more hands on and i’ve had so much work experience that non of my friends in A Levels had. it is also helped me exsplanin my art to a large audience and use a wide range of media even doing video art. A Level art focus on homing in on skills but betec has that elemot but also allows you to go wild.
I'm sorry but i really don't see how they're the same. Yes, it's good for people who like coursework rather than exams but i doubt it's as difficult as achieving A*A*A* at A level.

My friend is doing a btec in health and social care and said she's predicted to get whatever the equivalent is to 3 A*'s at A level.
I go to a grammar school (she went to one for her secondary education) and apparently we get good results, and i dont think many people get A*A*A* at A level. So i told her to come and do A levels and get her triple A*'s for that instead :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending