The Student Room Group

Student Finance Trouble... Again! Not entitled to tuition fee...

Hi all,
I'm supposed to be starting my new course next week doing a 4 year course which includes 1 foundation year.

I have previously been to university but was only for a few months as i didnt like it and i moved back home.

Student finance have told me that i am not entitled to any tuition fee loan because i have thids previous year study and they wont pay for my foundation year.

Now is there anything i can do? everywhere i have looked it says current course + 1 - any previous study so this would suggest i am entitled for it.

I'm worried big time as i'm meant to be starting next week and will be devastated if i can't!

Thanks for any replies!
Reply 1
Dont understand why people dont just apply for student finance like 4 months before they are due to start, so if any problems occur they can get it solved in time. Just call SF theyll be able to help you
Reply 2
I always thought a year counted whether or not you completed it, so the fact that you only did a couple of months doesn't matter - you've still used up one of your years.

So now you have 3 + 1 - 1 = 3 years funding, which would pay for your degree but not your foundation. But not 100% on this
Firstly, unless things have just changed or they treat things differently for foundation years you should be right on this - you just need to get on the phone with them and get it sorted (you may need to push them on it - don't put the phone down 'til it's sorted, and ask to speak to someone else/email customer complaints if you can't get things cleared up). You haven't accidentally said that you've studied for two years (though you would think they'd check against their records)?

[I dropped out of a course after a foundation year and a year and a half. When I re-applied last year I was told the same as you - length of new course + 1 - previous study - for me, 4 + 1 - 3 so I get a tuition loan/main. grant in my 3rd and 4th years.]

The mix-up shouldn't prevent you from starting - universities will understand that not everyone's student finance is sorted on time.

Foundation years are also often half the fees of the years above, so if for some wierd reason you do end up having to pay the fees it may be possible with an overdraft +/ weekend job +/ extra help from the uni, depending on your financial situation otherwise.
Reply 4
Youve given them the course code for the normal course (3 years), tell them its a 4 year course and give them the correct course code. You get course length + 1 year - any previous years study. If you only done 1 year or partof prior then you should be able to get the full course funded, inc a foundation year. Example my course is same 3 + 1 foundation, code H301, without the foundation year the code is H300. Check with your uni what course code you should be on.
Reply 5
Original post by H.Maleki
Dont understand why people dont just apply for student finance like 4 months before they are due to start, so if any problems occur they can get it solved in time. Just call SF theyll be able to help you

I Did!!
Reply 6
Thanks for your replies guys, i don't think there is much i can do so it's just going to be a case of being an absolute struggler for the whole year to try and pay off the 7k before next year!
Reply 7
Original post by gnr10uk
Thanks for your replies guys, i don't think there is much i can do so it's just going to be a case of being an absolute struggler for the whole year to try and pay off the 7k before next year!

Of course there is something you can do-call student finance again like other people have already suggested. It certainly won't get sorted out if you do nothing. It may just be a simple problem with your course code or you may need the uni to clarify how long your course is with student finance.

If indeed you have only done a few months previously, you are definitely eligible to be funded for an entire new course.
Original post by gnr10uk
Hi all,
I'm supposed to be starting my new course next week doing a 4 year course which includes 1 foundation year.

I have previously been to university but was only for a few months as i didnt like it and i moved back home.

Student finance have told me that i am not entitled to any tuition fee loan because i have thids previous year study and they wont pay for my foundation year.

Now is there anything i can do? everywhere i have looked it says current course + 1 - any previous study so this would suggest i am entitled for it.

I'm worried big time as i'm meant to be starting next week and will be devastated if i can't!

Thanks for any replies!

you are 100% entitled to tution fee, because i am in same position as you!!

ask to send the matter to resolve team

student finance advisors are mentally deficient, the resolve team are great!!

use the local rate nmber as well, calls can last up to 50mins
Reply 9
Original post by heidigirl
Of course there is something you can do-call student finance again like other people have already suggested. It certainly won't get sorted out if you do nothing. It may just be a simple problem with your course code or you may need the uni to clarify how long your course is with student finance.

If indeed you have only done a few months previously, you are definitely eligible to be funded for an entire new course.

Sorry as i wasn't clear. I had phoned them again and apparently its due to the fact that i am undertaking a foundation year first apparently that makes a difference :\
Reply 10
Original post by Dukeofwembley
you are 100% entitled to tution fee, because i am in same position as you!!

ask to send the matter to resolve team

student finance advisors are mentally deficient, the resolve team are great!!

use the local rate nmber as well, calls can last up to 50mins

Thanks for your post. What situation are you in? My issue was sent to the resolve team but was turned down, i think it was something to do with i started an HND and then because now i want to do a foundation year it counts as lower than the HND so they wont pay the tuition fee.

All sounds like rubbish to be fair but i can't see what i can do but pay it myself.

Thanks for your replies guys
Original post by gnr10uk
Thanks for your post. What situation are you in? My issue was sent to the resolve team but was turned down, i think it was something to do with i started an HND and then because now i want to do a foundation year it counts as lower than the HND so they wont pay the tuition fee.

All sounds like rubbish to be fair but i can't see what i can do but pay it myself.

Thanks for your replies guys

have you got a disability?, people claiming DSA are exempt from ELQ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending