The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lmao none

i don't see why you think you have slim chance

looking at your profile - if you can get those predicted grades, have w.e. your chance is as good as anybody's
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think medicine/ dentistry places ever appear in clearing.
If you don't apply, you can't get an offer. If it's something you really want to do as a career, go for it. If you don't get an offer, you'll simply have to take a gap year and apply the following year for a different subject. Remember, you also have the reserve choice on your UCAS form to add a back-up option as well.
Reply 3
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I don't think medicine/ dentistry places ever appear in clearing.
If you don't apply, you can't get an offer. If it's something you really want to do as a career, go for it. If you don't get an offer, you'll simply have to take a gap year and apply the following year for a different subject. Remember, you also have the reserve choice on your UCAS form to add a back-up option as well.

i know 1 ,, and only 1 person who did get a place at Southampton through clearing.. so i know they exist... but i just dont know how many

Ryan
Original post by ryanb97
i know 1 ,, and only 1 person who did get a place at Southampton through clearing.. so i know they exist... but i just dont know how many

Ryan

one in a million, billion, googol

never happen again in your life time
Original post by ryanb97

Ryan

:-O ! How many years ago was this? Medicine is essentially NEVER in clearing. Some med schools even say that they will never enter clearing, even if they did have spaces left (which is incredibly unlikely given the number of applicants), because this would bring down the standard of teaching and thus affect the other students' learning. Don't plan on getting into med school through clearing. It won't happen.
Reply 6
Due to the competitiveness of medicine and dentistry, they are not in clearing. Medical schools get thousands of applicants for a couple hundred places each, and so all their offers are given out.

As for applying to medicine and dentistry, they're not easy subjects. If you're not passionate about them, and willing to dedicate pretty much the rest of your life to learning (in medicine's case), and very few hours' sleep a night, then there's no point applying. People drop out of medical schools. It's not easy.

But, if you're only doubting your academic abilities, and your "slim chance" is only because of a poor UKCAT/BMAT grades, then go for a university that will focus mainly on good GCSE's or A levels. You need AAA for medicine, realistically, and if you're predicted those grades, and really work hard to get them, then there's no point not applying to medicine if that's what you want to do.
Reply 7
Whilst it is possible to get in through clearing it is very, very, very unlikely.
Reply 8
:-O ! How many years ago was this? Medicine is essentially NEVER in clearing. Some med schools even say that they will never enter clearing, even if they did have spaces left (which is incredibly unlikely given the number of applicants), because this would bring down the standard of teaching and thus affect the other students' learning. Don't plan on getting into med school through clearing. It won't happen.

I'm assuming this was a long time ago. It's practically unheard of. I asked my UCAS advisor a while back about this (in case I got 4 rejections to the med schools I applied for) and she said that they don't do clearing for med.
Reply 9

the year that just started university

Ryan
1. Next to no chance of getting in through Clearing.

2. If you don't apply at all, you have absolutely zero chance of getting in. If you want to, apply - just be aware of how competitive it is and make your application as good as it can be / apply smart to maximise your chances, but don't get your hopes up.

Edit; I don't mean the last statement in a mean way. What I meant is, so many good applicants get rejected every year, nothing is guaranteed with Medicine. So you may as well accept from the beginning that there's a chance you'll have to take a gap year.
(edited 11 years ago)

hi!! um is it okay if i ask what is Clearing?? :confused::confused:
thanks
Reply 12
A boy in my college got a place through clearing last year at east anglia
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lanre
A boy in my college got a place through clearing last year at east anglia

one in a million billion googol

never happen again in your life time
if what both posters have said about people getting places in clearing is true

then i am disgusted by some medical schools

rejecting thousands of extremely competent applicants

but taking people who couldn't even get the grades
Reply 15
In my own experience, the only clearing places left are for international students only. How frustrating!
Reply 16
:bump:
Original post by ryanb97

Ryan

I don't think Medicine and Dentistry appear on Clearing. However if your A Level grades are good it is possible that you will be contacted by certain under-subscribed universities- ie it is possible that many of the people who applied that year didn't get the required grades to meet their conditional offer.
I know a person who had straight rejections for Medicine, got A*A*A at A-Level and then got a call from the University of East Anglia for an interview. Later in September, he started his course!
I also know somebody who got a call from Birmingham and was offered a place for their Dentistry course.
However from what I've heard these sort of things occur very rarely as both Medicine and Dentistry are very competitive.
Original post by ryanb97

Ryan

Did thy get a place on the bm6 or the bm5 course? I could imagine someone with an offer for the bm5 course getting a place on the bm6 course if they didn't get the grades. Although I don't think that's technically going through clearing.
Reply 19
a kid in my year who got a*a*a had 4 rejections for med, in clearing rang manchester for medicine who were willing to offer a place until they asked his ukcat score (655). he didnt apply to manchester before.

Latest

Trending

Trending