The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by The_Oracle95
Exactly that not very fair at all. I am most probably going have to go private but hopefully this won't impact too much on the social side. Looking at private options for around £90 a week you can get a decent place with all bills paid for. That's around £3,600 over 40 weeks which is much more affordable than the university accommodation that's left.

I might chance it and then swap with someone, seeing as there are some on here who want to swap, havent got a clue about the private scene or muh about yorks student area off campus :/

I only want self catering at a 35 week let, ill go anywhere im not fussed anymore

The cheapest rent available in any college is more expensice than my maintinance loan as it is, if i have to pay 5 grand plus, i dont know what ill do :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile
University of York
York
Good luck to everyone applying for accommodation! I felt the same stress last year. A word of reassurance though! I did get my first choice, and loved it. Came across some great people (and some not so great people too!), but I had a wonderful year. However, I've met people in EVERY situation - people from every college, who either wanted to be there or not, people who got stuck in colleges they didn't want to be in etc, people who were really "far away" from their campus etc..

All I can say is, I didn't hear one person who hated what they ended up with. After you've settled in you'll meet fantastic people, I can assure you, and no accommodation is THAT bad.. there's also the "the worse the accommodation, the more fun you have..." to think about. And honestly, I know it seems like a huge deal know (I had a complete stress over it this time last year), but if it's really THAT bad after you get there, you can always apply to move. But I can guarantee you just won't want to in over 90% of cases.

Enjoy and good luck! :smile:
Hey guys, you might like to know...

I just rang up about cancelling my room and reapplying and they said they're scrapping the system of selecting college, let length etc. and instead you'll be asked to put in preferences after selecting "any college", "any let length" etc.

It's a possibility that people applying tomorrow may have to go through this system.
Reply 1983
Original post by grape monster
Hey guys, you might like to know...

I just rang up about cancelling my room and reapplying and they said they're scrapping the system of selecting college, let length etc. and instead you'll be asked to put in preferences after selecting "any college", "any let length" etc.

It's a possibility that people applying tomorrow may have to go through this system.

does this affect anyone who's already applied?:smile:
Anyone know if there's anywhere official (or unofficial) we can post an advert for a swap?

I'm thinking -- "anyone wanting to swap their upstairs accommodation in the outhouse for my downstairs?"

Surely someone would find that hard to resist ....
Original post by MTI
ah cool reititvly close to chemistry department then :smile: i ended up with upgraded standard in Halifax... there was only shared rooms in Derwent and Vanbrugh left + there no way i was going to pay for a 50 week let just for ensuite :/ im kinda annoyed atm but i suppose its only 1st year :smile:

Yeahh the location is pretty nice tbh :smile:, ahaa I guess you'll have a bit of a journey to get to the chemistry department :P. But I'm sure Halifax will be nice :smile:, I very almost went for it as I wanted self catered. It is a bit annoying that it took so long and we weren't really left with the best options :L, but you're right it's only for the first year :smile:
Original post by currydud
does this affect anyone who's already applied?:smile:

Nope! If you've already chosen your college, room type etc., if won't affect you at all. It's only for people applying right now (and possibly tomorrow but don't quote me on that~).
Original post by HannaRose
Finally done. Been on since 8am when I was told I was 413th in the queue. Opened the page (or tried to!!) on about 5 different tabs and just kept refreshing them constantly.
DON'T LOSE FAITH PEOPLE!! If it says "webpage unavailable" keep refreshing!!
At last I was able to log on and it said I was first in the queue and it seemed to me that pretty much all colleges and all accommodation still had some open.
Also spoke to a lovely lady on the phone who said even if you log out or crash or exit, if you've seen a page that tells you you're in the queue, you are.
See you all in September!! :biggrin:
p.s. I'm in Alcuin, doing Chemistry so hi to anyone who's the same!!

Hi :smile: another Alcuin chemist here
Original post by ClarenceofCydonia
Hi :smile: another Alcuin chemist here

Hi another Alcuin chemist here too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1989
Did you guys today have to wait for an email to tell you you can start applying for accommodation or did you just go for it from 8am?
York was my insurance so my accommodation thing is tomorrow but i'm not sure whether I have to wait for some sort of email on the day tomorrow or I can start as early as possible?? My friend who's there made it sound like last year the emails come out in batches telling you you could start your application

Help!! this accommodation this is stressing me out!
Original post by Helly
Did you guys today have to wait for an email to tell you you can start applying for accommodation or did you just go for it from 8am?
York was my insurance so my accommodation thing is tomorrow but i'm not sure whether I have to wait for some sort of email on the day tomorrow or I can start as early as possible?? My friend who's there made it sound like last year the emails come out in batches telling you you could start your application

Help!! this accommodation this is stressing me out!

There's a countdown to when you can apply on the accommodation site. The system has changed from last year as it was awful but they seemed to have cocked it up again this year too :s-smilie: but don't wait for an email, get on it asap.

Just go onto the accommodation bit tomorrow morning at around 7:50 and then get comfortable as you will be there a while if its anything like today. Good luck!!
Reply 1991
Thank you!!

Original post by hannah_b_7
x

on another note- do you guys think they will have withheld some accommodation for the insurance offer holders??
It says on the email they sent me that we're guaranteed a room booking of we do it before the 24th of august

does anyone have any idea what's left??
I wanted James/Alcuin ensuite s/c, but ended up in Langwith p ensuite s/c - it's more expensive, does anyone know if it's worth it though? :confused:
Also, how long does it take to walk from there to near the psychology building?
Original post by bethanyfish
I wanted James/Alcuin ensuite s/c, but ended up in Langwith p ensuite s/c - it's more expensive, does anyone know if it's worth it though? :confused:
Also, how long does it take to walk from there to near the psychology building?

You'd have to travel from Hes East to Hes West. To my knowledge, that takes about 20 minutes (can't remember if that's by bus or walking...). Kinda jealous you managed to get that room though!
Reply 1994
If we're moving to the 'any college' format then do you just select one room type that you'd like and they stick you where ever there's room? just expecting that all the standard rooms and the cheaper accommodation will be gone, so what do they do if you select that and they don't have it?
Also could you put a college preference in the additional notes, especially if your preference is Halifax?
Reply 1995
Original post by Helly
If we're moving to the 'any college' format then do you just select one room type that you'd like and they stick you where ever there's room? just expecting that all the standard rooms and the cheaper accommodation will be gone, so what do they do if you select that and they don't have it?
Also could you put a college preference in the additional notes, especially if your preference is Halifax?

I'm In Halifax (upgraded standard) so if you ever get an ensuite anywhere, id be more than happy to swap! if you can anyways:biggrin:
Original post by Helly

Assuming they use the system I just went through...

You'll have to select "any" for college, let length, room type etc.

On the next page, you'll rank "standard" "ensuite" and "catered" in order of preference. You can add notes to the side. At the bottom, there's another box for additional preferences where you could specify a college but it won't be guaranteed.
Reply 1997
Im at Langwith doing politics anybody else in same boat?
ccccc
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm in vanburgh £117p/w standard catered... anyone want to swap for anything on Hes East? anyone at all? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending