The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Benny100
Oh damn, i forgot about that! I lost my employee disocunt card during the first night of freshers and now have to use the standard NUS card for a pathetic free cheeseburger. :cry: I'm an eocnomist therefore yes i am :biggrin:

I never forget. :tongue: I'd actually be devastated if that happened to me! I don't even have an NUS card though. :frown: Chemists are still better.
University of York
York
Reply 581
Think I have now definitely decided to firm York for Chemistry :biggrin: Yayyyy!!! Just need the grades now!! However... I am a little concerned as I have realised the dumbbells I have had on my desk for over a year now have 'YORK' engraved on them,, have not realised that until now and the amount of times I have looked at them without even noticing,, slightly worried I may only be so fixated on York due to some sort of subliminal messaging.. :/
Original post by lucy3003
Think I have now definitely decided to firm York for Chemistry :biggrin: Yayyyy!!! Just need the grades now!! However... I am a little concerned as I have realised the dumbbells I have had on my desk for over a year now have 'YORK' engraved on them,, have not realised that until now and the amount of times I have looked at them without even noticing,, slightly worried I may only be so fixated on York due to some sort of subliminal messaging.. :/

:woo:

Whichever way you've become fixated on York you're going to have an amazing time! :biggrin:
Reply 583
Original post by Holby_fanatic
This is going to be a beautiful building once it's finished. It's a shame I won't be able to use it really.

That is sad. Why not? The building looks like Meccano going up. You are year 2 of a 4 year course? Are you going overseas?
Original post by CRIKEY12
That is sad. Why not? The building looks like Meccano going up. You are year 2 of a 4 year course? Are you going overseas?

I think I remember a lab demonstrator telling me it will be finished in 2016 which is the final year of my degree. I'll probably be abroad for my final year anyway if all goes to plan. Still, future Chemists will get to use it! :smile:
Wait till you're drunk, Willow will be heaven to you! :tongue:
Haha, I don't quite have a fear of them but they do freak me out. They tend to leave you alone though so it's fine.

I dont like making eye contact with them since it gives me the shivers, like they're looking into the depths of my very being.
And What is the willow if it is not a tree? Is there some drunken haven I've missed out on?
Original post by Daisydropper
I dont like making eye contact with them since it gives me the shivers, like they're looking into the depths of my very being.
And What is the willow if it is not a tree? Is there some drunken haven I've missed out on?

I just don't look at them at all, haha!

Willow is a restaurant by day and a club by night. It is the most cheesy place in the world but it's so much fun! People often say that it's so bad it's good, and you'll always see statuses on Facebook like, "Ended up in Willow last night" or "Seeing the stamp and wondering what went on..." or something like that. I've been to Willow sober and it was fun, but so much better when you're smashed!
AND THERE'S FREE PRAWN CRACKERS! Drinks are really cheap too. :smile:
Reply 587
Original post by Daisydropper

Imagine the most filthy, horrible room you can imagine. A place that got it's restaurant shut down due to bad hygeine. Now add the cheesiest music possible, free prawn crackers and £1 Sambuca shots at 2am with a lot of drunk students. You now have the greatest place on earth.
Reply 588
I think I remember a lab demonstrator telling me it will be finished in 2016 which is the final year of my degree. I'll probably be abroad for my final year anyway if all goes to plan. Still, future Chemists will get to use it! :smile:

How cheeky is this! I swear I read somewhere it would be finished this year. Also have tried to find GREAT construction vid from first York uni build that went up in 6 months? However it seems not to be on York website any more.
Reply 589
"The project is due for completion late 2013 and aims to further enhance the Department of Chemistry’s leading reputation which boasts top 5 rankings in The Times and Guardian University guides for 2013."

Original post by CRIKEY12
"The project is due for completion late 2013 and aims to further enhance the Department of Chemistry’s leading reputation which boasts top 5 rankings in The Times and Guardian University guides for 2013."

Someone clearly lied to me then! :tongue: Oooh maybe I will get to use it after all. :biggrin:
Reply 591
Someone clearly lied to me then! :tongue: Oooh maybe I will get to use it after all. :biggrin:

HURRAH!
Imagine the most filthy, horrible room you can imagine. A place that got it's restaurant shut down due to bad hygeine. Now add the cheesiest music possible, free prawn crackers and £1 Sambuca shots at 2am with a lot of drunk students. You now have the greatest place on earth.

I just don't look at them at all, haha!

Willow is a restaurant by day and a club by night. It is the most cheesy place in the world but it's so much fun! People often say that it's so bad it's good, and you'll always see statuses on Facebook like, "Ended up in Willow last night" or "Seeing the stamp and wondering what went on..." or something like that. I've been to Willow sober and it was fun, but so much better when you're smashed!
AND THERE'S FREE PRAWN CRACKERS! Drinks are really cheap too. :smile:

Wow....
I have a bad feeling I will end up there one night absolutely smashed thinking it was a 5 star hotel...
and will probably go on a tangent about ducks.
Reply 593

The Stairs have arrived ready to be installed
Reply 594
Original post by Moodrw
Hey,

Thats cool, yeah doesnt seem to be many yet. I really not sure Tbh, it seems that nurses kinda just go to Alucin but there are other colleges which look good too!

Did you go on the open day or a campus tour? I really cant wait to start in October, I have got a conditional but I have already met the requirments (apart from the 'health check').

How did you find your interview went? I was talking to the admissions lady and it seems they turned down quite a few applicants. x

Sorry for the late reply! Yeah Alucin's nice but I just think James might be a bit more central :smile: I went to one of the Open days and Nursing afternoons in September. I thought the interview went quite well to be honest, the group activity threw me a bit as it was nothing like I had to do at other interviews, but overall I came out feeling pretty positive. Oh really? I have seen a lot of people posting rejections from York on here, just so glad the whole interview process is over! Have you heard much from the University since firming them? I've only had emails about the news letters :smile: X
Reply 595
Is Derwent anywhere near the economics department. I think it's in Alcuin?
Reply 596
Original post by senz72
Is Derwent anywhere near the economics department. I think it's in Alcuin?

The economics reception is up near Alcuin where you go to hand in and collect work. The actual lectures and seminars for economics are all over campus. Derwent is one of the closer colleges to the reception and also one of the most frequently used lecture halls is in Derwent. :smile:
Reply 597
The economics reception is up near Alcuin where you go to hand in and collect work. The actual lectures and seminars for economics are all over campus. Derwent is one of the closer colleges to the reception and also one of the most frequently used lecture halls is in Derwent. :smile:

Nice, may I ask how you find the course?
I've vaguely remember you saying you studied economics?
Reply 598
http://www.nouse.co.uk/2010/07/16/york-scores-88-per-cent-in-employment-rate-statistics/

What do you guys make of York's employment issue? (TBH it's not as bad as the media made it out to be... but it's something a bit worrying if York students work as hard if not harder from other institutions such as Warwick, Bristol etc
Reply 599
http://www.nouse.co.uk/2010/02/23/york-graduate-level-employability-11-less-than-uks-other-top-ten-universities/

I know this is not the sort of thing you want to read about when you have firmed York, but it's still a reality that we should consider. It seems that York is always investing and improving, so hopefully if they invest more into the employment services, this figure won't go up.
I read something like it's the distance which puts employers off, but surely that doesn't make much sense as Durham, Edinburgh and Manchester would also be deemed too far.
Anyone who goes to York- can you give a personal opinion on this???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending