Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eboracum
I think I'll pass on that Holby. I bet you loved it. :tongue:

Erm, no. It was scarring.
University of York
York
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Erm, no. It was scarring.

Obviously he gets excited by what a mint university we are.
Original post by Eboracum
Obviously he gets excited by what a mint university we are.

My brother said that when I sent it to him. :lol:
Can anyone thats done it before tell me about how you are put into accommodation? Like what is the process? Are you asked questions and then put where they think is best? Because Im really picky and dont want to be somewhere I hate, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can. Also how "well" does having 8-12 to a kitchen work? Because 12 people to one cooker sounds a bit mad....
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 984
Original post by HypErTwisT
Can anyone thats done it before tell me about how you are put into accomodation? Like what is the process? Are you asked questions and then put where they think is best? Because Im really picky and dont want to be somewhere I hate, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can. Also how "well" does having 18-12 to a kitchen work? Because 12 people to one cooker sounds a bit mad....

This.
Can anyone thats done it before tell me about how you are put into accommodation? Like what is the process? Are you asked questions and then put where they think is best? Because Im really picky and dont want to be somewhere I hate, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can. Also how "well" does having 8-12 to a kitchen work? Because 12 people to one cooker sounds a bit mad....

Accommodation is applied for just after results day and access to the accommodation application is sent out in random batches: the sooner you get your email to apply for accommodation, the more choice you have over where you stay...

A little unfair, I know, but I don't think that not having a certain type of accommodation will be too detrimental - every room is going to be hospitable! Also, 8-12 in a kitchen depends - people like to eat at different times or might have to eat at different times because of lectures, socials etc. and if you're cooking one meal for everyone in your kitchen surely that would be even better? (with only cooking one meal and the like)
Reply 986
SO EXCITED!

Firmed York as soon as I got my offer for LLB Law!
Hoping to apply for Langwith or Goodricke College for Accom'

Can't wait! :biggrin:
Original post by matthewoingram
Accommodation is applied for just after results day and access to the accommodation application is sent out in random batches: the sooner you get your email to apply for accommodation, the more choice you have over where you stay...

A little unfair, I know, but I don't think that not having a certain type of accommodation will be too detrimental - every room is going to be hospitable! Also, 8-12 in a kitchen depends - people like to eat at different times or might have to eat at different times because of lectures, socials etc. and if you're cooking one meal for everyone in your kitchen surely that would be even better? (with only cooking one meal and the like)

Are we asked questions or do we just say what room type and what college is our prefrance? Hmm I dunno, even still, cooking for twelve people with one oven would still take ages/be hectic.
Are we asked questions or do we just say what room type and what college is our prefrance? Hmm I dunno, even still, cooking for twelve people with one oven would still take ages/be hectic.

You just pick which one you want out of the choices you have.

Most of the kitchens have more than one oven.
Original post by EllieAntWarrior
yeahhh, but then I won't speak badly about my block! Another good thing about the two blocks is that because they're catered, people tend to venture out of their kitchen groups more and the two blocks ( + another one) mix at dinner everyday so most friendships groups that are pretty tight include people from both blocks which is pretty good.

Yeah York a lot, the different clubs have different nights arranged for U of Y and for St Johns so we don't tend to mix that much. The current YUSU nights are Sunday Revs, Tuesday at Kuda and Thursday Tokyo.

Wednesday is Ziggy's (called Mansion now but everyone still calls it Ziggy's..) when all the socials go out, Friday is The Duchess which is one of the only places that mixes St Johns and local sixth formers really.
There's Willow any night (mainly after going to a normal club) and there's also Fibbers which does a lot of live gigs and house nights.

Leeds is easy and cheap to get to, personally I haven't gone that much this year (extra expense) and I don't know anybody that goes that often as most people just head into York. Colleges run nights out to Leeds which are pretty messy! There's a uni lead one soon too.

Last bit about B block, we have one of the prettiest views as we have the quiet place outside our windows (on one side) and a huge patch of grass, which means as soon as it's sunny/snowy/not raining everyone heads outside to play football and just hang around. There's a brick barbecue on there too, there are quite a few dotted around on Derwent grassy areas.

That definitely sounds good. Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it :smile:

How is the catered food btw? Good value for money? I remember someone at the open day saying it works out about £3 a day, but that's ignoring weekends and lunch which you have to sort yourself. And I'm definitely the kind of person who'd sleep through breakfast, or feel too hungover to get up for it, so I've gotta consider that too.

Could probably keep slinging questions for days but I'll leave it at that..
Original post by Redolent
That definitely sounds good. Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it :smile:

How is the catered food btw? Good value for money? I remember someone at the open day saying it works out about £3 a day, but that's ignoring weekends and lunch which you have to sort yourself. And I'm definitely the kind of person who'd sleep through breakfast, or feel too hungover to get up for it, so I've gotta consider that too.

Could probably keep slinging questions for days but I'll leave it at that..

Breakfast is good! 5 items + unlimited toast and tea/coffee and some of the five items are more than one (2 hashbrowns = 1 item) It's better the earlier you go, most people appear at 10:25, it shuts at 10:30... most in pjs and onsies.
Dinner varies, but if you don't fancy what's on the menu there's always jacket potatoes and a salad bar but most days they cater for all tastes.
It's pretty good value considering the few people that use it as a proper eatery (usually visiting students/lectures etc) pay over £5 for a meal.
I don't tend to go to breakfast most days, for the same reasons as you predict for yourself but I know its still worth the money as you get two courses at dinner and they're filling, varied and contain a lot of veg. I know if I was self catered I'd pretty much just eat plain pasta every single day.
...you also learn which servers give you more food, the more you befriend them, the bigger the servings get!
If you make it to breakfast at half ten and go to dinner when it opens (5:30) like most do, there's no need to buy lunch.
Weekends our lot tend to eat at the Charles pub round the corner in Heslington one day as it's 2 meals for £7! and then eat pasta or pot noodles or something that's cupboard food so we don't spend a fortune at all :smile:

If you want any other info, feel free to message me, I'm happy to help!!

I think we've turned half of this thread into a naff accommodation Q&A :wink:
Reply 991
Hello! I've got an unconditional offer from York to study Chemistry this September! I'm currently on a gap year and cannot wait to start :smile: I've been trying to keep-up with the Chemistry this year, going over the alevel syllabus again, and I've also started to look at the 'Stepping up to Chemistry' page on the website. I didn't do maths at alevel, so I've started to try at teach myself some of it from the 'discover maths for chemists RSC site'. I know the programme is supplemented by a series of maths courses, and I have no doubt they will be hugely supportive and helpful, yet I was wondering if you could give me any extra advice on how I can prepare before I start :smile: I'm looking forward to applying for accommodation later this year too, I'm looking at Alcuin/Derwent!
Original post by EllieAntWarrior
Breakfast is good! 5 items + unlimited toast and tea/coffee and some of the five items are more than one (2 hashbrowns = 1 item) It's better the earlier you go, most people appear at 10:25, it shuts at 10:30... most in pjs and onsies.
Dinner varies, but if you don't fancy what's on the menu there's always jacket potatoes and a salad bar but most days they cater for all tastes.
It's pretty good value considering the few people that use it as a proper eatery (usually visiting students/lectures etc) pay over £5 for a meal.
I don't tend to go to breakfast most days, for the same reasons as you predict for yourself but I know its still worth the money as you get two courses at dinner and they're filling, varied and contain a lot of veg. I know if I was self catered I'd pretty much just eat plain pasta every single day.
...you also learn which servers give you more food, the more you befriend them, the bigger the servings get!
If you make it to breakfast at half ten and go to dinner when it opens (5:30) like most do, there's no need to buy lunch.
Weekends our lot tend to eat at the Charles pub round the corner in Heslington one day as it's 2 meals for £7! and then eat pasta or pot noodles or something that's cupboard food so we don't spend a fortune at all :smile:

If you want any other info, feel free to message me, I'm happy to help!!

I think we've turned half of this thread into a naff accommodation Q&A :wink:

Haha, I don't mind if you don't, just didn't want to put you in a position where you unwittingly become Derwent B Block's official representative :tongue:

The food situation sounds good. I was imagining it as a "you have to be there by 9" sort of thing, but 10.30 is definitely workable. I think I'll be going for catered [economy] standard and hopefully that'll put me in A/B block.

I guess the last thing I'm wondering is whether you have time for many societies? One of my friends at another uni says a lot of people don't bother with societies at all until 2nd year, but I must've seen at least 5 on the York list I'd want to be part of. No idea how much time those things realistically take up, or whether you end up juggling a bunch of different friendship groups (flatmates / coursemates / home mates sounds a lot on its own)
Reply 993
Original post by KatyH.

Hi there :smile:

it's great to see another Chemistry firmer on here who's on a gap year as well :biggrin:
You seem to be doing better than me with revising...I haven't even started :colondollar:
Can I ask...what did you do during your gap year? :smile:
Reply 994
Original post by MarinaBS
Hi there :smile:

it's great to see another Chemistry firmer on here who's on a gap year as well :biggrin:
You seem to be doing better than me with revising...I haven't even started :colondollar:
Can I ask...what did you do during your gap year? :smile:

Hello!

It's lovely to meet somone in the same situation too :smile: haha, it's working progress! I have still got a lot to go through!

I've just been working this year, and haven't been travelling- not exciting at all I'm afraid! How about you?!

Look forward to meeting you in September!
Reply 995
Original post by KatyH.
Hello!

It's lovely to meet somone in the same situation too :smile: haha, it's working progress! I have still got a lot to go through!

I've just been working this year, and haven't been travelling- not exciting at all I'm afraid! How about you?!

Look forward to meeting you in September!

I volunteered in Korea for three months and absolutely loved it! :biggrin:
after that I've been working as well.
I think I really need to start revising though - not just the content but also "translate" everything into English :smile: I am really looking forward to starting in September, however, work is pretty exhausting at the moment so I can't really motivate myself :colondollar:

Looking forward to meeting you in September as well :smile:
Does anybody know what the gym is like on James College and what you get as part of the price?

Also I had an email with key accommodation dates yesterday, did anyone else get it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 997
Does anybody know what the gym is like on James College and what you get as part of the price?

Also I had an email with key accommodation dates yesterday, did anyone else get it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. I got that email too :smile: August seems so far away. I want to apply for accom' now ! Ahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 998

Posted from TSR Mobile

I assume it's the Sports Centre? http://www.york-sport.com/york_sport_centre_prices

Yeah I got the email :smile:
Reply 999

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait whaaaat? No, I haven't gotten an email from them with the accommodation dates. Am I the only one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending