The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by HJames
Awesome! Thanks for your advice, they do an evening clinic that is 5-7. Is two hours long enough to count as proper Wex? :smile:

Yeah I usually did 4-6 evening clinic after school and quite often puppy training classes (7-9) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
Googles at hand! Ahah and aw that's a shame :frown: haha I know it's like a challenge in itself! :tongue: but that's great! Especially being a 2016 applicant! It's quite hard to remember everything that's what I worry most wex - the remembering part! :tongue: Whereabouts in Scotland are you from? I could give you a contact of a dairy farm I go to if its easy for you? I live on glasgow btw :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could I get the contact details for that farm if possible?
I live near Glasgow and I'm really stuggling to find any farm experience here.
Everything is down South :frown:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
That sounds very much worth your while! :biggrin: Long term placements look awesome because they show dedication, I'm hoping to so a day per week at a SA vet next year myself actually. :smile:

Do you know what length of time you have be doing work experience at one place for before it counts as a long term placement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hollyyounger
Do you know what length of time you have be doing work experience at one place for before it counts as a long term placement?

I don't think there's a set time, it's just as opposed to going to a placement for x weeks straight. I'd say at least 3 months would be a long term thing, although that is kind of a figure I pulled out of the ether. :tongue:
I don't think there's a set time, it's just as opposed to going to a placement for x weeks straight. I'd say at least 3 months would be a long term thing, although that is kind of a figure I pulled out of the ether. :tongue:

Thanks, my kennel and rehoming centre work should count for that then :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 385
Original post by Nessie162
Could I get the contact details for that farm if possible?
I live near Glasgow and I'm really stuggling to find any farm experience here.
Everything is down South :frown:

Of course :smile: anything for a fellow vet hopeful :tongue: Is it ok if I PM you? Don't want to publicly advertise it :smile: and I know I phoned about twenty places just to find it aha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 386

Yeah I agree I am sure I read 3 months somewhere :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, my kennel and rehoming centre work should count for that then :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good good! :biggrin: How long have you been going there? I was going to go to a rehoming centre for two weeks during summer but they had to cancel. :frown:
Of course :smile: anything for a fellow vet hopeful :tongue: Is it ok if I PM you? Don't want to publicly advertise it :smile: and I know I phoned about twenty places just to find it aha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that would be great! Thank you very, very, very much! :biggrin:
Good good! :biggrin: How long have you been going there? I was going to go to a rehoming centre for two weeks during summer but they had to cancel. :frown:

The last couple of weeks so far. It's really good though, all I had to do was sign an application form and now I can turn up when I want (I go every Sunday though) and can stay for as long as I want as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what are you all interested in :smile:? (vetwise)
The last couple of weeks so far. It's really good though, all I had to do was sign an application form and now I can turn up when I want (I go every Sunday though) and can stay for as long as I want as well!

Sounds good! :biggrin: Seen anything interesting? :smile:

Original post by skatealexia
So what are you all interested in :smile:? (vetwise)

Exotics! :woo:
Reply 392
Original post by Nessie162
Yes, that would be great! Thank you very, very, very much! :biggrin:

You're welcome again :smile: :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 393

Posted from TSR Mobile

That does sounds great! Hope you enjoy - stick in! :smile:

And skatealexia, I am not sure yet still, perhaps mixed practice since I don't want to set myself on one species but I am contemplating a more focused career in cardiology once I have been a vet for several years (my interest comes from my mums job as a cardiac nurse (for humans :L)) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That does sounds great! Hope you enjoy - stick in! :smile:

And skatealexia, I am not sure yet still, perhaps mixed practice since I don't want to set myself on one species but I am contemplating a more focused career in cardiology once I have been a vet for several years (my interest comes from my mums job as a cardiac nurse (for humans :L)) :smile:

Stupid question I know, but how come you've chosen to do veterinary cardiology rather than human? :smile:

Again, daft question, but one they apparently ask at interviews so...
Reply 395
Stupid question I know, but how come you've chosen to do veterinary cardiology rather than human? :smile:

Again, daft question, but one they apparently ask at interviews so...

Not stupid at all, (now to prove my worth aha) well I have not definitely decided on cardiology but as a vet over a doctor I have a greater admiration of animals than humans - not saying I dislike humans and want to be a mad animal man with no human companionship. The great diversity between all animals is very captivating and so I would like to be able to study a broader range rather than focus on my own (human) species. I also care for the welfare of animals with atrociously high animal cruelty rates there needs to be a dynamic change which I would like to help with the healing process first hand. That is why I would be a vet over a doctor but for cardiology it would be plainly for the reasons for why I want to be a vet applied with a interest of the heart organ and muscle (and the vital and interesting role it plays in an organism and the intriguing problems it can face - diseases etc.) which I would eventually like to pursue as a career in my life time :smile: hope that makes sense, I feel like I have rambled haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Not stupid at all, (now to prove my worth aha) well I have not definitely decided on cardiology but as a vet over a doctor I have a greater admiration of animals than humans - not saying I dislike humans and want to be a mad animal man with no human companionship. The great diversity between all animals is very captivating and so I would like to be able to study a broader range rather than focus on my own (human) species. I also care for the welfare of animals with atrociously high animal cruelty rates there needs to be a dynamic change which I would like to help with the healing process first hand. That is why I would be a vet over a doctor but for cardiology it would be plainly for the reasons for why I want to be a vet applied with a interest of the heart organ and muscle (and the vital and interesting role it plays in an organism and the intriguing problems it can face - diseases etc.) which I would eventually like to pursue as a career in my life time :smile: hope that makes sense, I feel like I have rambled haha :smile:

You haven't rambled at all! I agree with you 100% there :yep:
Reply 397
You haven't rambled at all! I agree with you 100% there :yep:

Hahaha thanks I tried to shorten it as much as possible but as you can see the outcome didnt match the idea Ahah can't wait to see how I deal with the PS stage :s-smilie: lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahaha thanks I tried to shorten it as much as possible but as you can see the outcome didnt match the idea Ahah can't wait to see how I deal with the PS stage :s-smilie: lol

Oh gosh yeah :s-smilie: So thankful for the PS helpers! :tongue:
Reply 399
Oh gosh yeah :s-smilie: So thankful for the PS helpers! :tongue:

Haha too right - they will be proudly smiling over your compliment :tongue: thanks guys! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending