The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erniiee
Really good luck to all of you :h: I'm sure you'll all get what you need in your GCSEs!

Thanks! :h:

Congratulations on three medicine offers by the way, that's incredible! :eek:
Reply 781
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
You shouldn't be embarrassed by that at all :nah: . Besides, you still have time to take up new hobbies if you don't think that that is enough.

I was going to go to Switzerland in summer with the Scouts to go skiing, but it clashed with results day as well as being really expensive. :frown:

#scoutswag :colone:

Haha it looks pathetic compared to yours! Your like the Yoda of extracurricular activities (take that as a compliment :tongue:) haha

We have talked about going to Croatia (I think) as we have got in touch with a scout troop there so that might be a possibility :wink: and aww that's a shame that would have sounded fun :biggrin:

#instaswag #scoutYOLO :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 782
Original post by erniiee
Really good luck to all of you :h: I'm sure you'll all get what you need in your GCSEs!

Thank you and I second little tail chaser that's incredible and your results - ooft! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
Haha it was really good they showed me how to do it and I started to pick up on it but with difficulty aha! Yeah I suppose it does it :smile: "My daughter successfully caught a hard thrown, which spun on several axises, with her left hand, a rare occurrence which surely must be celebrated" hahah and I would be soo bad at sewing :tongue:

I'm not very extra curricular tbh aha
-4 years at scouts, doing chief scout award and hoping to do young leader
-Do badminton before scouts with the leaders
-Have done snowboarding for quite a while in the past but I'm rusty so I'll probably have to do lessons again aha
-Started doe in my school in 3rd year for bronze but the teacher was so unprepared it was unbelievable, spent a whole year doing work and prepared for the excursion but he didn't forgot to book a bus so we couldn't go and we hardly learnt anything so I quit because it was a complete waste of time
-would like to start at some clubs like tennis, archery and scuba diving :smile:

So I'm pretty bad in that department but I'll try and boost it up in the following years

Ps Scouts is better that guides, chocolate badge please :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww that would suck! Luckily my school seem to be pretty good at DofE. Another Scout!? Really?!
Haha it looks pathetic compared to yours! Your like the Yoda of extracurricular activities (take that as a compliment :tongue:) haha

We have talked about going to Croatia (I think) as we have got in touch with a scout troop there so that might be a possibility :wink: and aww that's a shame that would have sounded fun :biggrin:

#instaswag #scoutYOLO :L

"The Yoda of extracurricular activities" :lol: Well, I'd never thought of it that way before! :tongue:

Us scouts live the YOLO life :cool:

Original post by Hollyheartsgoats
Another Scout!? Really?!

Proof that we're better. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jamsie555
you mean like having good motor skills and hand-eye co-ordination?

In the applicants questionnaire for Nottingham there is a question which asks you to give examples that you have good hand-eye coordination. It might change by the time you apply though...

Oh ok. I'm not sure what I could put their, as I don't participate in many sports like tennis or anything. I play badminton and tennis for fun sometimes but not on a regular basis and although I can hit the ball/shuttle back I'm no were near as good as others!
I was just wondering if you know what sort of things could be put down? :smile:
Thank you so much for saying! :biggrin:
Reply 786
I don't have many extra curriculars to be honest :frown:

- Deputy Head Girl ( Yeah... I know :colondollar: :rolleyes: )
- 'Chief Editor' of my school's science newspaper (Again... I know :tongue: Geek alert! :colondollar: )
- Scouts for 9 years
- Young Leader for 2 years
- Junior Sports Leaders Qualification
- Volunteering at U3A (teaching elderly people how to use computers and iPads)
- Bronze Duke of Edinburgh's Award (Working towards Silver at the moment)
- Various clubs (Art, Chess, Badminton, Kickboxing etc) if I can be bothered.

Oh my God. If you say that you don’t have ‘a lot’ extracurricular activities, then there is literally no hope for me. I don’t do anything really.. no sport, drama or music ;D
This is as far as my list goes:

· A charity representative in school, as well as Green house representative
· Deputy Form Captain and Year 7 Mentor
· School Ambassador
· Bronze Duke of Edinburgh
· Volunteer with disabled children and adults
· Doing the World Challenge to Malaysia (Have to raise £2000 myself! :redface:)
· Run the science club in my school
· Horse ride
· I've competed in synchronised swimming since I was 8.
· Play badminton and tennis, but not very competitively although I would like to.
Original post by MonMon
Oh my God. If you say that you don’t have ‘a lot’ extracurricular activities, then there is literally no hope for me. I don’t do anything really.. no sport, drama or music ;D

Whoa, that's way more than I have! :tongue: You've been doing it for a long time too :yep:

What's the World Challenge all about? :smile:
I hope that the other people on this thread represent the creme de la creme of potential 2015 apps, otherwise I am completely and utterly screwed :s-smilie: ...
Reply 789
The majority of the schools in my area run a programme called the World Challenge - it's this association where you have two years starting in Year 12 to raise money for a trip to a country in the world. Most of the countries chosen are either in Asia or Africa: there's been Cambodia, Ecuador, etc. This year it's Malaysia. The cost of the trip is £1999 and each individual person has to raise it completely themselves, parents are only allowed to contribute to the last 15% of the total cost. Whilst in Malaysia - (or any other country) one week is spent with the local town people and helping them in some way. We come up with a project to help the people (I think last year they built shelters, and water supplies), this time we either get to choose to stay with the local people and help them or go to a baby elephant orphanage and look after the elephants for a week. The second week, is going on an expedition throughout the whole of Malaysia with nothing but tents and walking shoes :smile: It's very exciting and, only around 14 people can go from the whole sixth form, so you literally have to fight for places.
Reply 790
I hope that the other people on this thread represent the creme de la creme of potential 2015 apps, otherwise I am completely and utterly screwed :s-smilie: ...

I really, really hope so too.. because otherwise I have next to no chance.. :frown:
Reply 791
Yeah the kennels do count as well as a long term placement which shows commitment :wink:

I don't know if they would count that, if it costs (a lot that is) then no but if it truly is a source of work experience then yes. It's a similar situation to that VetSim, an excellent source of wex but only if you can spend a few hundred quid therefore not valid experience.

I've basically got roughly 2 years at a petting exotic farm
18 months at a SA vets
2 weeks lambing
Nearly a week dairy (ongoing)
Nearly a week at stables

I have contacted a few places and have got some stuff organised for later on but with no justified dates :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, welcome to the thread! Nice to meet you :smile:

I haven't made any definite choices yet, but I'm considering RVC, Liv, Brizzle and Notts. I haven't been to any open days or anything yet though, so those are very much subject to change. :smile:

So far I have two days short of nine weeks (painfully little, I know :frown: ) at a pet shop, SA vet, stable and urban farm. I have 2 weeks each of dairy and stables booked for summer, and I'm hoping to get another two weeks of SA and a couple of LA as well. The zookeeper day sounds really interesting, but I guess it depends on what you're actually doing there. In general I don't think they count things that you have to pay for (VetCam, Vetmed Link, Vetsim etc) simply because it isn't fair on people who can't afford it, but it could still be something interesting to mention on your PS :smile:

Yeah I read that a long term placement is a good thing :wink:

Woah! You both have loads more work experience than me! I tried sending emails to different places but they either replied back saying they have none or can't take me or they just don't reply at all :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
I hope that the people on this thread represent the creme de la creme of potential 2015 apps, otherwise I am completely and utterly screwed :s-smilie: ...
Original post by MonMon
The majority of the schools in my area run a programme called the World Challenge - it's this association where you have two years starting in Year 12 to raise money for a trip to a country in the world. Most of the countries chosen are either in Asia or Africa: there's been Cambodia, Ecuador, etc. This year it's Malaysia. The cost of the trip is £1999 and each individual person has to raise it completely themselves, parents are only allowed to contribute to the last 15% of the total cost. Whilst in Malaysia - (or any other country) one week is spent with the local town people and helping them in some way. We come up with a project to help the people (I think last year they built shelters, and water supplies), this time we either get to choose to stay with the local people and help them or go to a baby elephant orphanage and look after the elephants for a week. The second week, is going on an expedition throughout the whole of Malaysia with nothing but tents and walking shoes :smile: It's very exciting and, only around 14 people can go from the whole sixth form, so you literally have to fight for places.

Wow, that sounds brilliant! :smile: I would love to work with 'lil baby elephants :love: . I really hope you get a place on the programme!

Original post by MonMon
I really, really hope so too.. because otherwise I have next to no chance.. :frown:

If I don't get some sort of long term placement booked by next year then I don't know what I'll do... :frown:
Original post by Sophjeff

Woah! You both have loads more work experience than me! I tried sending emails to different places but they either replied back saying they have none or can't take me or they just don't reply at all :frown:

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt :rolleyes: The equine vet that will "email me back tomorrow" still hasn't, it's been two weeks :rolleyes:

Half the time they're not even being honest :frown: Last year I emailed an animal rescue centre and I was told that all WEx placements for that year were booked... only for them to offer someone in my class a place four weeks later. :frown: FFS, if my email was bad, at least have the courtesy to say why. :frown:
Reply 794
Original post by Sophjeff

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooo, haven’t had the chance to welcome you to thread! Welcome :smile: I’m Monika. Don’t worry too much about work experience, before I came to this thread I literally had two weeks. Over the Easter holidays I’ve managed to book 10 placements just for this summer I didn’t even think this was possible!

Right now all I have is:

· 1 Week SA Vets
· 1 Week Cattery
· 1 Year every Saturday at a stables
· 2 Years every Sunday at a dog training school.

Booked for summer:

· 1 Week Equestrian Centre
· 1 Week Wildlife Hospital
· 1 Week Another Wildlife Hospital/Centre
· 1 Week Small SA Vets
· 1 Week Another SA Vets
· 2 Weeks Equine Vets
· 1 Week Stables
1 Week Veterinary Lab
Starting a long term placement at another SA Vets - every Saturday morning at the end of April
Starting another long term placement at a city farm every Sunday
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 795
And sorry for all the typos and space bar mistakes: this computer is so stupid, it won't let me do anything - no enter bars, no space bars arghh
Original post by MonMon
Ooo, haven’t had the chance to welcome you to thread!Welcome J I’m Monika.Don’t worry about work experience, before I came to this thread I literally hadtwo weeks. Over the Easter holidays I’ve managed to book 10 placements just forthis summer I didn’t even think this was possible!
Right now all I have is:
· 1 Week SA Vets
· 1 Week Cattery
· 1 Year every Saturday at a stables
· 2 Years every Sunday at a dog trainingschool.
Booked for summer:
· 1 Week Equestrian Centre
· 1 Week Wildlife Hospital
· 1 Week Another Wildlife Hospital/Centre
· 1 Week Small SA Vets
· 1 Week Another SA Vets
· 2 Weeks Equine Vets
· 1 Week Stables and 1 Week Veterinary Laboryoryory fghfghdft

So... much... clinical work :teeth: .

I need more of that :frown: .
Reply 797
So... much... clinical work :teeth: .

I need more of that :frown: .

Well I figured that I barely had any clinical work so needed to stack up on as much as I could :biggrin: but now I realise, I barely have any other animal work.. and I'm here like :s-smilie: You have all your work experience with farms and things. The problem is that I have a lot of city and urban farms around me, but for some reason I just feel like it's not what universities are looking for.. :s-smilie: I feel like they want proper working farms and not just a farm with two cows, and pigs :rolleyes:
Original post by MonMon
Well I figured that I barely had any clinical work so needed to stack up on as much as I could :biggrin: but now I realise, I barely have any other animal work.. and I'm here like :s-smilie: You have all your work experience with farms and things. The problem is that I have a lot of city and urban farms around me, but for some reason I just feel like it's not what universities are looking for.. :s-smilie: I feel like they want proper working farms and not just a farm with two cows, and pigs :rolleyes:

Commercial farms are great placements to have, as health of the animals concerned is arguably more important if animals/animal products are entering the food chain, but urban farms are a great way to get your foot in the door! :smile: Obviously all farms will be different, but personally I have learnt loads from my urban farm placement. The farmers have taught me about a myriad of diseases that cows can get (mastitis is the first one that comes to mind, but they have both imparted their knowledge on acidosis, ketosis, several different types of worms... to name but a few). In addition to this, I have had more hands on experience than I could have ever dreamed of, I didn't expect to be allowed to milk my cows on only my second say there! :biggrin: I'm so confident now that the farmer will just tell me to do it while he watches, I've got it pretty much fathomed out my now! Urban farms tend to have a wider variety of animals than commercial farms. Mine for example has several breeds of sheep, cows, goats, pigs, geese, chickens, turkeys, ducks, rabbits, guinea pigs, horses, fancy pigeons, guinea fowl... the list goes on. Being able to work with such a large collection of animals is honestly so fascinating, no two days are the same! There is always something going on that you can observe/do yourself... of course it's what universities are looking for! :biggrin: When phoning up for my dairy work I mentioned my experience at the urban farm, which helped me to secure a place. Even if it's only for a week or two, urban farms are utterly brilliant in every single way.

Sorry, I have rambled. :colondollar:
tl;dr: Personally my urban farm placement has been my favourite one so far, :love: and in my opinion you'd be mad not to try and get some work on one yourself :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt :rolleyes: The equine vet that will "email me back tomorrow" still hasn't, it's been two weeks :rolleyes:

Half the time they're not even being honest :frown: Last year I emailed an animal rescue centre and I was told that all WEx placements for that year were booked... only for them to offer someone in my class a place four weeks later. :frown: FFS, if my email was bad, at least have the courtesy to say why. :frown:

Exact same thing happened to me. Wasn't allowed to go to a placement because of my age they said, and then they told a girl in my year, but younger then me, she could go anytime she wanted. Turns out though the practice wouldn't of ben good work experience anyway as the vet I did end up going to told me that they have two practices and all the tricky ops are sent to the one that I don't know of as it is their main practice. For a few reasons I am quite glad they didn't take me, but it would of been nice as that is where we have always taken our animals and it's what I always think about when I think of SA vets! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending