The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by CloUpsidedown
Do you guys mean trimming? I thought the same when she said "polishing" as that's more like applying hoof oil to make them shine :smile:

Yes, trimming. My bad:colondollar:
Reply 1181
Booked some small animal experience today. The owner seems really nice and arranged a "very informal interview" (his words :tongue: ) haha when my friend had her interview she watched an operation and helped out because it was an open day and they were short staffed. Fingers crossed something similar happens for me :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophjeff
Booked some small animal experience today. The owner seems really nice and arranged a "very informal interview" (his words :tongue: ) haha when my friend had her interview she watched an operation and helped out because it was an open day and they were short staffed. Fingers crossed something similar happens for me :biggrin:

Sounds good, when are you going? :biggrin:

How was Zookeeper Day? :tongue:
Reply 1183
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Sounds good, when are you going? :biggrin:

How was Zookeeper Day? :tongue:

I think it's the week beginning 12th August so not too long! Can't wait!

The zoo was incredible! :biggrin: Met so many different animals, way more than I expected. I thinks favourites were the rhinos. It's going to sound stupid but it was unbelievable how gentle they were! And also there skin was really soft

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's the week beginning 12th August so not too long! Can't wait!

The zoo was incredible! :biggrin: Met so many different animals, way more than I expected. I thinks favourites were the rhinos. It's going to sound stupid but it was unbelievable how gentle they were! And also there skin was really soft

I think I'm at a stable that week so I'll be counting down the days with you :biggrin: I'm so happy it's June now, the holiday is so close I can almost taste it. Twelve weeks of freedom! :woo:

I'm glad you enjoyed it :h: . I wouldn't have expected rhinos to be so soft, you're very fortunate that you were able to touch them! :biggrin: What sort of things were you doing? I assume feeding, cleaning and such? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Mum just emailed me this, I thought you guys would have a giggle :tongue: Apparently Bury is a suburb of Manchester, and they had to change the sign after their opening week......... :wink:

photo.JPG
Hello everyone! Sorry for the looong absence, I have been in Rwanda for 2 weeks! Very emotional experience but probably had the best time of my life! Very tired, and shocked at how many pages I have to catch up on! Well done on your exams everyone, and good luck if you have more to come? I know my brother does :biggrin: First day at the cattery tomorrow, after getting home today at about 11AM I think I will be very tired... Also, DofE next week, so even more tired. Just want to get back into work experience again! So... how is everyone?
Original post by Hollyheartsgoats
Hello everyone! Sorry for the looong absence, I have been in Rwanda for 2 weeks! Very emotional experience but probably had the best time of my life! Very tired, and shocked at how many pages I have to catch up on! Well done on your exams everyone, and good luck if you have more to come? I know my brother does :biggrin: First day at the cattery tomorrow, after getting home today at about 11AM I think I will be very tired... Also, DofE next week, so even more tired. Just want to get back into work experience again! So... how is everyone?

Bloomin' 'eck you don't sit still for two minutes do you :tongue: ! Talk about busy!
Oh... I also have a very annoyed cat asleep on my leg. Which has also gone to sleep. :rolleyes:
Oh... I also have a very annoyed cat asleep on my leg. Which has also gone to sleep. :rolleyes:

Give him/her a tickle behind the ears from me :biggrin:
Bloomin' 'eck you don't sit still for two minutes do you :tongue: ! Talk about busy!

Hahaha, yup! Sure feel like I haven't sat still for more then five minutes...except on the plane but does it count? :tongue: Feel like I need to book more work experience for the summer :frown: Well I don't feel like I do...I know I do! I've only booked two days :s-smilie:
Give him/her a tickle behind the ears from me :biggrin:

Will do! Should have probably waited to post that...I'm impatient sometimes :colondollar:
Hahaha, yup! Sure feel like I haven't sat still for more then five minutes...except on the plane but does it count? :tongue: Feel like I need to book more work experience for the summer :frown: Well I don't feel like I do...I know I do! I've only booked two days :s-smilie:

I only did four weeks last summer; this time last year I had literally nothing. It's good that you're getting so prepared but don't go OTT, give yourself some time to rest :h:
I only did four weeks last summer; this time last year I had literally nothing. It's good that you're getting so prepared but don't go OTT, give yourself some time to rest :h:

Haha, don't you worry. I rest...too often my parents tell me :tongue: It's more because I enjoy doing experience I think, whenever I get a placement it makes me so excited, and as if I'm actually doing something, and then when I go on that placement I seem to enjoy it so much! I actually managed to ask some questions about farming in Rwanda :biggrin: Although thinking back, the majority of it is a blur. Thank goodness the teachers made us write a diary every night! :s-smilie:
Just noticed that the 2015 medics have their own thread now :woo: . You're a trend starter, Canine! :wink:
Reply 1195
I think I'm at a stable that week so I'll be counting down the days with you :biggrin: I'm so happy it's June now, the holiday is so close I can almost taste it. Twelve weeks of freedom! :woo:

I'm glad you enjoyed it :h: . I wouldn't have expected rhinos to be so soft, you're very fortunate that you were able to touch them! :biggrin: What sort of things were you doing? I assume feeding, cleaning and such? :smile:

I can't believe it! This year has gone so quickly!

Yeah we fed them by hand and cleaned them out and basically just chilled with loads of animals. :smile: I don't think anyone would not love it! Definitely recommend it to everyone :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1196
Hey guys :smile: I may be going into hibernation for a while I'm in Tenerife woohoo!

Haha, don't you worry. I rest...too often my parents tell me :tongue: It's more because I enjoy doing experience I think, whenever I get a placement it makes me so excited, and as if I'm actually doing something, and then when I go on that placement I seem to enjoy it so much! I actually managed to ask some questions about farming in Rwanda :biggrin: Although thinking back, the majority of it is a blur. Thank goodness the teachers made us write a diary every night! :s-smilie:

I was wondering your absence... How was it? Did you bring us back some goats? Haha that's so cool you done that! I wish I put my name down for Malawi now... :frown: I found out my school does a morocco trip too so I may get in on that action :tongue: ahha but glad you had fun :biggrin:

Just noticed that the 2015 medics have their own thread now :woo: . You're a trend starter, Canine! :wink:

Tell me about it, everyone else does :wink: Ahah kidding :tongue: I've noticed the medics are quite reserved with their jibber jabber unlike us mad vets Ahah!

Btw I am in stitches with the "help bury pets" ahahah! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
More farming booked :woo: Should have 19 weeks of assorted farming by the time I go back in September, along with five weeks in practise and some other stuff like the pet shop :woo: It's pocket change compared to what you guys have, but ho hum, I'm getting there :h:

I can't believe it! This year has gone so quickly!

Yeah we fed them by hand and cleaned them out and basically just chilled with loads of animals. :smile: I don't think anyone would not love it! Definitely recommend it to everyone :wink:

Tell me about it, almost half way finished?! :eek: It'll be 2015 before we know it! :tongue:

Ohhh, that makes me want to get some zoo stuff booked now :teeth: . Next summer, perhaps.

Original post by CanineVet
Hey guys :smile: I may be going into hibernation for a while I'm in Tenerife woohoo!

Tell me about it, everyone else does :wink: Ahah kidding :tongue: I've noticed the medics are quite reserved with their jibber jabber unlike us mad vets Ahah!

Tenerife is alright for some :lol: ! Have fun! :biggrin: You'll be missed, but I won't let the medics catch us up, don't worry :wink: .

Back to geography revision :getmecoat:. June 12th can't come soon enough :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CanineVet

I was wondering your absence... How was it? Did you bring us back some goats? Haha that's so cool you done that! I wish I put my name down for Malawi now... :frown: I found out my school does a morocco trip too so I may get in on that action :tongue: ahha but glad you had fun :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tenerife! Sounds lovely! :biggrin: I hope you have a great time!
It was fantastic, I miss it loads. Sadly didn't bring back a goat, although the goat I got for a family was pregnant! Seriously want some goat work experience now.

To LTC, 19 weeks?!?! Oh my goodness I really need to get some farm work experience down! The cattery was amazing and I have a feeling by the time I apply I will have plenty of cattery experience as it's every sunday and I have a feeling I will be helping out during holidays too! At the end of the day we got some cake (amaaaazingly goooood cake!) and I ''helped'' my friend move sheep from one pen to another, which was pretty lovely to watch as the lambs would do little leaps as they ran from pen to pen. I'm hoping to spend some time on wednesday there as they are injecting some sheep apparently.

I need to organise some work experience but I'm not sure who to email about farm work experience because of my age? Do you know any types of farms that aren't usually too worried about ages? I feel like I have so many contacts saying "come back next year when you are 16!" haha! Which is fine but I feel like I have nothing booked for summer...well I don't other then two days at a small animal practice!

To LTC, 19 weeks?!?! Oh my goodness I really need to get some farm work experience down! The cattery was amazing and I have a feeling by the time I apply I will have plenty of cattery experience as it's every sunday and I have a feeling I will be helping out during holidays too! At the end of the day we got some cake (amaaaazingly goooood cake!) and I ''helped'' my friend move sheep from one pen to another, which was pretty lovely to watch as the lambs would do little leaps as they ran from pen to pen. I'm hoping to spend some time on wednesday there as they are injecting some sheep apparently.

I need to organise some work experience but I'm not sure who to email about farm work experience because of my age? Do you know any types of farms that aren't usually too worried about ages? I feel like I have so many contacts saying "come back next year when you are 16!" haha! Which is fine but I feel like I have nothing booked for summer...well I don't other then two days at a small animal practice!

19 weeks is a bit misleading, because there's a couple of weeks where I'm going to two places in one day, so they're sort of being double counted :colondollar: The dairy farm only need me in the afternoon so I'm going to be going to my urban farm in the morning. In reality it's going to be 15 afternoons dairy, 35 days stable and ~50 days urban farm (14 of those half days so really closer to 43) I don't even know how many weeks that would be any more :tongue:

In my experience, farms are the placements least concerned with your age. I was never asked when phoning up/writing in for farm work. The stable took people as young as 10, my farm takes people as young as 11 and the dairy farm mentioned having someone there who was 15 so I don't see why you wouldn't have a chance. You seem like a mature and competent young lady so I'm sure any place would love to have you :h:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending