The Student Room Group

Oxford and Cambridge Summer School - Anyone going?

I've just been accepted into the summer school programme based at Exeter College, Oxford. Anyone else applying/going? It would be great to know someone in advance!
I'm planning on going next year but is there a particular age and circumstance in which I'm elegible to apply ? And what subjects did you apply for ? Have fun !
Reply 2
I know a few friends who are helping to organise and run it. They're great, and I'm sure it'll be a fantastic experience. (I'm also told that the food is a substantial improvement over what we're given during full term.)
Reply 3
Original post by Daisy Duke
I've just been accepted into the summer school programme based at Exeter College, Oxford. Anyone else applying/going? It would be great to know someone in advance!

Hey is this UNIQ?
Original post by Lunch_Box
Hey is this UNIQ?
No the UNIQ thread is here. This is a paid for summer school (essentially a rip off and certainly not needed to get into Oxford. On the other hand, if you have a spare £3.5k to throw away and want a couple of weeks in Oxford...)
What subject ya doing?
Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by fluteflute
No the UNIQ thread is here. This is a paid for summer school (essentially a rip off and certainly not needed to get into Oxford. On the other hand, if you have a spare £3.5k to throw away and want a couple of weeks in Oxford...)

Yes, it's the paid for one. No, I don't have a "spare £3.5k to throw away", but my sixth form only forwarded the information after the application deadline for financial aid - and after the deadline for UNIQ. I was lucky enough to have the money loaned to me by a family member.

As far as I'm aware, UNIQ is only 3 or 4 days; this is two weeks. I'd rather have the chance to see if Oxford and the tutorial system is right for me, than get there and hate it. Also frankly, if I get in to Oxford, there will be a significant number of private school, and well off students. Arguably there will be at any university, but my point still stands. Spending two weeks with the kind of people who maybe could afford to spend that kind of money, would likely be fairly eye opening.
Yes, it's the paid for one. No, I don't have a "spare £3.5k to throw away", but my sixth form only forwarded the information after the application deadline for financial aid - and after the deadline for UNIQ. I was lucky enough to have the money loaned to me by a family member.

As far as I'm aware, UNIQ is only 3 or 4 days; this is two weeks. I'd rather have the chance to see if Oxford and the tutorial system is right for me, than get there and hate it. Also frankly, if I get in to Oxford, there will be a significant number of private school, and well off students. Arguably there will be at any university, but my point still stands. Spending two weeks with the kind of people who maybe could afford to spend that kind of money, would likely be fairly eye opening.
Yes UNIQ is only a week, but it is delivered by those who lecture and teach the Oxford courses.

I hope you have a good and useful time :smile:
Reply 8
Yes UNIQ is only a week, but it is delivered by those who lecture and teach the Oxford courses.

I hope you have a good and useful time :smile:

Thank you :smile: I was really hoping to meet someone who is going, but they only take about 40 students each time, with 6 per subject. It seems unlikely that I will.
Reply 9
£3.5k

Holy ****.

Spending two weeks with the kind of people who maybe could afford to spend that kind of money, would likely be fairly eye opening.

People like yourself you mean? :tongue:

The above is really a bit of a silly reason, but i'm sure it will be a good experience and a lot of fun so whatever you want to do. Just bear in mind the whole wealth thing is probably going to be pretty exaggerated.
Reply 10
People like yourself you mean? :tongue:

Not really. I'm being loaned the money by someone who isn't my parents, and while I'm more than happy to, it will take a long time to pay back. My folks certainly don't have 3.5k to "throw away".

I really don't want to get into a debate about whether or not it's a waste of money - I'm aware it's a LOT of money, and as soon as I saw the prices I stopped even thinking about it, but I'm very, very lucky to have supportive family members who thought it was worth it. I'm going, I'm excited, and I just hoped to get in contact with someone else who might be going as well. :smile:
Reply 11

I've been accepted as well! I will complete my BAs in my country of residence in June and hope to use this opportunity to decide for an MA thesis topic and to broaden my knowledge. I've been working the past months to be able to afford it! What courses are you doing? Is it the three-weeks course (30 June - 20 July) you're taking?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Oh, silly me! I suppose you're going there with Oxford Royale since you said 2 weeks? It is more expensive than OUDCE's programme (3 weeks) or am I mistaken?
Reply 13
No, It isn't Oxford Royale, but it is a two week course, for A level Students. Not sure that's the same as yours, sadly! :no:
Reply 14
Oh yes, it isn't the same then. :frown: Hope you have lots of fun! I'm so excited!
Reply 15
​I'm not going I'm too old whats it all about?
Reply 16
Original post by Acieeed
​I'm not going I'm too old whats it all about?

Sorry for the late reply. I do not think you can be too old! Basically, there are summer schools for pupils, undergraduates, graduates and adults outside of education (as far as I know) on different subjects such as History, Politics, English Literature, Creative Writing etc! You might want to check out http://conted.ox.ac.uk if you are interested! :smile:

Btw: Your profile says you are 21? I myself am 22, so I doubt you are too old :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
As far as I'm aware it costs thousands and if you're looking for an advantage when it comes to the application process, it's not going to happen. But if you don't mind paying that much, I'm sure it'll be a great experience. Exeter is a lovely college, too.
Reply 18
Original post by la-dauphine
As far as I'm aware it costs thousands and if you're looking for an advantage when it comes to the application process, it's not going to happen. But if you don't mind paying that much, I'm sure it'll be a great experience. Exeter is a lovely college, too.

Is this the Oxford x program? Or does anyone know anything about the Oxford x one? I'm doing this year!!:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Lunch_Box
Hey is this UNIQ?

Is this the Oxford x one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending