The Student Room Group

I lied about being fired in the past......

Ok so i just finished uni and i really need a job, about 4 years ago i got fired from a saturday job (i worked there for a year and a bit) for getting involved in a stupid situation with this other girl. Anyway i put the job on my cv thinking it was years ago so no one would want references for this far back. However ive started applying for jobs and noticed in application forms it asks have you every been fired or faced disciplinary action!I don't know whether to say yes or no because i really want a job! Also, i had a telephone intereview this morning and the lady put me on the spot by asking me the question (it hadnt been on the application form) and i wasnt wasnt prepared, paniced and said no. I really want this job but now im really worried they're going to find out! Other than obviously asking my previous employer can the company find out via some sort of background check that i had been fired? Really stressed so any help would be appreciated thanks! :frown:
Reply 1
They can ask the company so get it up you for lying.
Original post by staycxx04
Ok so i just finished uni and i really need a job, about 4 years ago i got fired from a saturday job (i worked there for a year and a bit) for getting involved in a stupid situation with this other girl. Anyway i put the job on my cv thinking it was years ago so no one would want references for this far back. However ive started applying for jobs and noticed in application forms it asks have you every been fired or faced disciplinary action!I don't know whether to say yes or no because i really want a job! Also, i had a telephone intereview this morning and the lady put me on the spot by asking me the question (it hadnt been on the application form) and i wasnt wasnt prepared, paniced and said no. I really want this job but now im really worried they're going to find out! Other than obviously asking my previous employer can the company find out via some sort of background check that i had been fired? Really stressed so any help would be appreciated thanks! :frown:

Did you get fired or let go? There is a big difference.

I doubt they will check to be honest. I find that my references hardly get contacted so I doubt they will phone up every place you said you worked to check up on you.

If its been 4 years then I would doubt that anyone there would remember you and be surprised if they kept HR records that long for a Saturday job.
Reply 3
You should of just left it out of your employment history, better to have no experience than a job you got fired from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending