The Student Room Group

What is a CRB + would i need to apply for one??

if anyone knows what a CRB is, it would much appreciated if u could tell me as i don't know the first thing about them!! i am looking to do a work-placement at a local nursery for experience to include on my UCAS form for uni, so i rang this 1 nursery up + the woman on the other end of the fone babbled on about a CRB check.........she told me, but very vaguely. she said also tht it's £49 to apply for one.

im a tad confused as to whether i need one or not!!! please help!!??

thanks! :smile: :suith: :p: :littleang
CRB is the Criminal Records Bureau...

Guess its to check your background and to clarrify you do not have any criminal records...which won't be good considering you will be working with kids...
It's a check of your criminal record to ensure that you're suitable to work with children, confidential medical records etc. It's worth paying the money if you want to do more childcare in the future as it's valid for (check this, though) three years, and you can't do anything without it.
Reply 3
Yes you have to have one to work with any 'vulnerable' population- children, adults with learning disabilities etc. They can take up to 3 months to do the check and send you back the certificate that you need, so apply well ahead of when you will need it. I don't remember having to pay- but when i had one done it was through the NHS for voluntary work, so maybe it's paid for if it's for a public sector job?
Reply 4
i think this is somethignu will def need to get b4 allowed near working withh children. i had to get one done b4 i started my teaching course and i know someone doing some sort of social studies course, who had one day in a school as part of research needed to get it done too.
Reply 5
You need a CRB check for anything that involves working with any group of people that are considered to be vulnerable such as children, the elderly, or those with disabilities. I have needed CRB for several different jobs. The good thing is that once you've applied for one, you get to keep a copy of the results the CRB check and it's valid for a couple of years afterwards, so you can use it for other jobs as well.

The nursery should be able to provide you with the form that you need and give you any information you need to fill in the form. I would apply as early as possible, as it can take a while to be processed (although mine was processed quite quickly).
Reply 6
As far as I know you need a CRB check for each organisation you work for or volunteer for.
I'm a Guider and have had my CRB check but a few months later I had to send off for another one for my job working with children, which is still pending.
I haven't had to pay for either, so you might get the money back for the CRB check at your new job. If not, it would be worth it, because you would not get the job in the first place if you hadn't had one or if it was not pending.
Reply 7
Leafy Leaf
As far as I know you need a CRB check for each organisation you work for or volunteer for.

Really? Cause once I had my CRB check, some jobs I applied for after that, only asked to see the check, they did not ask me to redo it. I guess it depends on the organisation/company.
Reply 8
There are different CRB checks- separate ones for working with children, vulnerable adult, and different levels of disclosure as well. Probably the one LeakyLeaf had done first wasn't complete enough for the second position. Even if it was the right check, i guess it's up to the company whether they want to accept one you've already had or request a more up to date one.

Latest

Trending

Trending