The Student Room Group

Masters/PhD CV

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Always make your CV relevant to the job/course you are applying for, dont just send it off without thinking.
Reply 2
Original post by poohat
Always make your CV relevant to the job/course you are applying for, dont just send it off without thinking.

^^Very much this.

I have two basic CVs - one business, one academic. I then tweak the appropriate version for each application I make.
Reply 3
But what goes on the academic CV? I'm submitting a module transcript and personal statement so not sure what they want on a CV?
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
But what goes on the academic CV? I'm submitting a module transcript and personal statement so not sure what they want on a CV?

It's exactly the same, but completely different! In other words the principles of writing the CV are exactly the same, it's the technical phase of a selection process and you need to demonstrate you have the relevant skills for the position. It's completely different in that the relevant skills for a PhD might be very different from work and therefore CVs you've done before.

A further technical difference that may be relevant is that academic CVs usually contain all your publications, significant presentations and research awards, and so, if necessary, can extend beyond 2 sides. Frankly that isn't usually a concern at Masters or PhD level, but if you've got them, then you definitely need to mention them in your CV!
Reply 5
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ

It will be similar to your non-academic CV, but write more about the research projects that you (hopefully) did during your undergraduate degree, and less about how your being vice-president of the anime society displays that you have Leadership Skills and was a Challenging Role where you learned to Function Harmoniously As Part Of A Team
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by poohat
It will be similar to your non-academic CV, but write more about the research projects that you (hopefully) did during your undergraduate degree, and less about how your being vice-president of the anime society displays that you have Leadership Skills and was a Challenging Role where you learned to Function Harmoniously As Part Of A Team

Great. Thanks all for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending