The Student Room Group

References

Hi I want to apply to universities in America next year during my gap year and was wondering if i should get my teacher references before I leave or after?
I would get two from your current teachers (one in the subject you want to study or the one most related to it, one in a core class i.e. English, history, math, or science). Speak to them before you leave but I believe they'll have to submit them in the year you apply. If they'd like to write hard copies they can write them now and hang on to them until next year if they'd like, but they'll have to be sent to schools in the year you're applying (not a year early). Also just note that they won't be allowed to give the references to you, they must write them and then upload them to your application (which, again, you'll have to create in the year your applying) if they'd like to submit them digitally or they themselves must send them out from envelopes (not that cheap from the UK, I'd recommend digitally).

Sorry that was confusing. Essentially:
You can't get the reference and hold onto it until you apply. You're not even allowed to see your references if you're applying to US schools.
They will be able to either physically mail the reference to the schools you're applying to or they can write the reference and upload it to your application (via a link, it's all very clear once you're on the CommonApp site). BUT you can't create a CommonApp this year unless you'll be applying in this year.
So basically, I would tell them you'd like a reference from them, maybe have them create it now or at least think about it now while you're fresh in their minds. Then around this time next year once you've started a CommonApp, email them again asking for that reference. They'll be able to upload/attach it via link.

Oh also if you'd like to get a reference from someone during your gap year (a volunteer supervisor or boss or something) that would look good too (you can have up to 4 references I believe and having one from your gap year will help convince admissions people that you did something worthwhile).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending