The Student Room Group

How does a shy guy go about getting a job?

I feel that I've missed lot of potentially great experiences in life due to it as well :moon: I'm ok with people I know like family & relatives but thoughts seem to pop into my mind about possible negative judgement when I'm with unfamiliar people. I do have a job atm but that's at my dad's Indian restaurant so it was easy to get employed, & it's still taking me quite a bit of time to be comfortable around the customers :redface: I want to make my own money but employers aren't just going to give you a job for stating that lol :tongue: Thanks for any decent advice :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Just apply, most jobs don't demand you be outgoing and you can avoid the few that do.

Grad or part time?
Original post by roh
Just apply, most jobs don't demand you be outgoing and you can avoid the few that do.

Grad or part time?
Part time :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Multitalented me
Part time :smile:

In that case just go on jobs.gov and look in your local area and the careers section of companies like M&S, Tesco etc. It often helps if you apply for something where you have useful knowledge already eg. if you're into football apply to JJB.

You might want to avoid waiting/bar jobs as they depend on building a quick rapport with the customer to supplement your income through tips, but I think you' be fine in retail and it should help your cofidence.
Original post by roh
In that case just go on jobs.gov and look in your local area and the careers section of companies like M&S, Tesco etc. It often helps if you apply for something where you have useful knowledge already eg. if you're into football apply to JJB.

You might want to avoid waiting/bar jobs as they depend on building a quick rapport with the customer to supplement your income through tips, but I think you' be fine in retail and it should help your cofidence.
I've already been rejected to a few like Next & Waterstones. My family said my CV is good enough & I've already given it in to a recruitment agency about a week ago. Admittedly I sometimes I struggle a bit with what to write (skills) in the application forms though :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by roh

Even in retail it can be difficult if you're not outgoing
Reply 6
I've already been rejected to a few like Next & Waterstones. My family said my CV is good enough & I've already given it in to a recruitment agency about a week ago. Admittedly I sometimes I struggle a bit with what to write (skills) in the application forms though :s-smilie:

Yeah, you'll get that, they sift a lot so just keep applying and if your CV's decent somewhere will interview you. I got rejected by Superdrug but taken by Boots, they'll be looking for very similar people but with no higher qualifications or experience being key (as for a manager) to sift by a lot comes down to luck and taking the chance once you get to interview.

Original post by Ripper-Roo

But it helps that you're in a more professional environment with a unform which gives you a certain anonymityand largely just give advice when I asked, you don't have to chat to them more casually as in waiting.
Reply 7
Go for jobs where interaction with other people is less frequent such as cleaning, stockrooms etc. Or go for retail and try to be less shy :wink:
Original post by ForgetMe
Go for jobs where interaction with other people is less frequent such as cleaning, stockrooms etc. Or go for retail and try to be less shy :wink:
I don't mind going into retail as if I get the job it might help me to be less shy but the problem is getting the job in the first place lol.
Reply 9
Get a job in a charity shop. I'm very shy. I'm leaving home and moving to York in 6 weeks, i'm going to get a job in a charity shop, maybe volunteer at the museum, get me out of my shell.
Original post by Ripper-Roo

Tbf, retail seems to be brutal full stop
Reply 11
I don't mind going into retail as if I get the job it might help me to be less shy but the problem is getting the job in the first place lol.

I know it's hard for a shy person :tongue: I'm very shy and afraid of people I don't know, so I usually struggle at interviews :mmm:
I feel that I've missed lot of potentially great experiences in life due to it as well :moon: I'm ok with people I know like family & relatives but thoughts seem to pop into my mind about possible negative judgement when I'm with unfamiliar people. I do have a job atm but that's at my dad's Indian restaurant so it was easy to get employed, & it's still taking me quite a bit of time to be comfortable around the customers :redface: I want to make my own money but employers aren't just going to give you a job for stating that lol :tongue: Thanks for any decent advice :smile:

I am very shy . . but it's something that I have learnt to overcome by throwing myself into unknown situations! :smile:
Original post by DancinBallerina
I am very shy . . but it's something that I have learnt to overcome by throwing myself into unknown situations! :smile:
Glad to hear that :smile: I think I can improve my confidence but I cannot force it & let it happen naturally over time, interact with others & if I end up "embarrassing" myself just forget about it quickly & think "at least I tried". Easier said then done though :erm:

I know it's hard for a shy person :tongue: I'm very shy and afraid of people I don't know, so I usually struggle at interviews :mmm:
Is it ok to ask what sort of job are you doing right now? :smile:
Glad to hear that :smile: I think I can improve my confidence but I cannot force it & let it happen naturally over time, interact with others & if I end up "embarrassing" myself just forget about it quickly & think "at least I tried". Easier said then done though :erm:

Confidence is something that I've learnt to develop in my last job; 18months. My new job, I am thrown into situations where I just have to 'suck it up', and get on with it.

You can't force confidence, no, I agree. . . but you can gradually introduce situations to yourself that will help you bit by bit to gain confidence and overcome the shyness. :smile:
If you are still young and working in your dad's restaurant is your first job as it sounds, it's absolutely natural to be shy. When I was 18 and got my first job working in a restaurant I was painfully shy and quit after 2 days because I didn't know how to speak to the customers and all my colleagues were older than me and very loud! Fast forward a number of years and due to having just got stuck in and trying things I didn't like my job now involves ringing up strangers all day on the phone and building a rapport with them and I have no problems. It will come with age but the important thing is that you stick at things as I wish I had stuck at that first restaurant job I had!

The christmas job application season is starting so make a real go of it and apply for everything you can that you wouldn't mind doing. The most important thing in terms of your CV is to list actual things you can already do - employers basically want to have to train you as little as possible. So don't write things like "performed a variety of restaurant tasks", write "used a till", "counted takings at the end of the day", "acted in accordance with food safety regulations", then wherever you are applying thinks "ah we won't have to train him to use a till/count takings/in food safety". Highlighting the skills you already have can give you a headstart as you seem like less of a gamble.

Good luck and don't be too self-critical, the most natural way to gain confidence is to just relax!
Reply 16

Is it ok to ask what sort of job are you doing right now? :smile:

I'm unemployed :erm:
I'm unemployed :erm:
Ah ok, I'm sorry to hear that :console:
Reply 18
Ah ok, I'm sorry to hear that :console:

Well, I hope soon to become employed :tongue:
Nothing wrong with workin in a restaurant. Just learn the ropes, carry on the family tradition and make the restaurant as ****ing vibrant and exciting as it can be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending