The Student Room Group

Do you still need to live in London to 'make it?'

Scroll to see replies

If by 'make it' you mean earn >£200k to pay down the >£70k of mortgage repayments on your two bedroom flat then yes. And if you think that means you still have 100k left over after basic living expenses, nope, that's gone as tax.

London is an idiotbox.
Reply 21
Original post by techno-thriller
I don't get what's so un appealing about London :dontknow:
I remember going to an open day at a London university. It was north London at about 2pm in the afternoon, so not central London and not rush hour, and it was incredibly busy and overcrowded on the roads and streets. It was several times as bad as rush hour in the centre of a normal city, and it was only north London at 2pm, imagine what central london at rush hour is like! Way too much noise of traffic and every breath felt like I was breathing in a ton of smoke, the air was THAT polluted. It was awful. How anyone can live in an environment like that is beyond me. Other cities feel much cleaner and far less crowded.
(edited 10 years ago)
Forget England. America more specifically LA is where all the shizzle happens! :cool:
Reply 23
Desperately want to find a job in statistics up north

can't stand London
Reply 24
Tbh, I can't really see myself living anywhere else in the UK but London forseeable future, especially in my younger years. London is where it's at.
Furthest I'd like to go is probably just outside of North London, but there's great places everywhere in between.
Reply 25
Original post by Observatory
If by 'make it' you mean earn >£200k to pay down the >£70k of mortgage repayments on your two bedroom flat then yes. And if you think that means you still have 100k left over after basic living expenses, nope, that's gone as tax.

London is an idiotbox.

You make it sound like people repay thier >70k mortgage in 1 year, hope I'm completely wrong on this.

London is an idiotbox.

Well this is a dumb argument. Nobody pays that much on their mortgage unless you have a mansion in Chelsea or something, in which case you would be earning way more than 200k anyway
Original post by Ameliapond
Desperately want to find a job in statistics up north

can't stand London

ONS have their main office in Newport, it's not north but it also isn't London
Original post by Bassetts
I remember going to an open day at a London university. It was north London at about 2pm in the afternoon, so not central London and not rush hour, and it was incredibly busy and overcrowded on the roads and streets. It was several times as bad as rush hour in the centre of a normal city, and it was only north London at 2pm, imagine what central london at rush hour is like! Way too much noise of traffic and every breath felt like I was breathing in a ton of smoke, the air was THAT polluted. It was awful. How anyone can live in an environment like that is beyond me. Other cities feel much cleaner and far less crowded.

I guess you're just not used to it
Reply 29
Original post by datpiff
It's a trend still I see that most of the jobs in my field are in London. On the search engine you'll get 3 jobs for Yorkshire and The Humber and 300+ jobs for London.

London to me feels so close yet so far away. It is like a foreign land to me. Like London could be its own country due to being so different to the rest of the UK. It also seems so unreachable as it seems so expensive to live there. How do people who live in London cope? Is it even worth moving down there because that's where all the jobs are at?

Should i I stay up North or consider moving down South?

Hate London, can't wait to move.
Reply 30
The problem with London is that it's full of Londoners. Oh no, wait.....
Original post by Sigma44
You make it sound like people repay thier >70k mortgage in 1 year, hope I'm completely wrong on this.

Hahahahaha. Buying a 2 bed flat outright for £70,000 isn't happening outside the more decrepit parts of the North.

So let's see. According to BBC mortgage calculator, £70k/year of repayments corresponds to a £1m property value at 5% (lower range of trend borrowing rates).

This will just about buy you this unfurnished 2 bedroom flat in a brick apartment block above a shop in Hampstead, NW6. That letter head will impress your friends!

---

Now let's see what your friends in the provinces can buy for that money. How about a 6 bedroom detached house in Leeds with spacious garden, and £250k left in your pocket?
Original post by Hedgeman49
Well this is a dumb argument. Nobody pays that much on their mortgage unless you have a mansion in Chelsea or something, in which case you would be earning way more than 200k anyway

Does a 4 bedroom house count as a mansion? That'll be £204,000/year in repayments, please. That is almost as much as my parents' 4 bedroom detached with double garage is worth in total!
Reply 33
Original post by Dragonfly07
I'm sure if you live in London your entire life you get used to it. f you're from somewhere else it's a pretty unbearable place.

What a load of nonsense.

Stop trying to quote your opinion as a fact.
Original post by Bloxorus
I feel exactly the opposite of you.

To me, anything north of London is barren, uninhabitable wasteland.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, bit snobby, no?
Original post by Hedgeman49
I moved to London in September having been brought up in Northumberland and gone to uni in Bath. It took me a couple of weeks to adjust, especially to the general speed of life and the constant traffic noise (I live just off a fairly busy road).

But by no means is it a depressing place, if you approach it with an open mind. There is so much to do and travel so easy. It's expensive but salaries are accordingly higher.

You'll get out of London what you put into it.

Hey Hedge!

What're you up to these days then? I'm graduating from Bath this year :moon:

Planning on working in London for a bit myself, then potentially moving overseas, not sure yet
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by datpiff
It's a trend still I see that most of the jobs in my field are in London. On the search engine you'll get 3 jobs for Yorkshire and The Humber and 300+ jobs for London.

London to me feels so close yet so far away. It is like a foreign land to me. Like London could be its own country due to being so different to the rest of the UK. It also seems so unreachable as it seems so expensive to live there. How do people who live in London cope? Is it even worth moving down there because that's where all the jobs are at?

Should i I stay up North or consider moving down South?

I agree with what most people said, don't move to London just because you think it's easier to find a job there. I did it (did a Masters and ended up saying because I found work there) and I feel like it's the worst decision I've ever made. I met some great people when I was at uni so I was alright even though I didn't particularly like London but it's been really difficult since I finished uni. I haven't been able to make friends at work and I'm feeling really lonely here. I don't like my job and I'm hoping to move back home but many employers won't even consider me because I live in London.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Hahahahaha. Buying a 2 bed flat outright for £70,000 isn't happening outside the more decrepit parts of the North.

So let's see. According to BBC mortgage calculator, £70k/year of repayments corresponds to a £1m property value at 5% (lower range of trend borrowing rates).

This will just about buy you this unfurnished 2 bedroom flat in a brick apartment block above a shop in Hampstead, NW6. That letter head will impress your friends!

---

Now let's see what your friends in the provinces can buy for that money. How about a 6 bedroom detached house in Leeds with spacious garden, and £250k left in your pocket?

Oh I was assuming a few 100k deposit (coz the guy makes 200k a year), but I was re-reading your posts and do believe I was wrong in some sense.

---

That 2 bedroom flat is in Hampstead, one of the most expensive parts of London. You can buy a pretty nice 2 bed in my area (E14) for £250k.
London is great...

....if you're earning good money!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending