The Student Room Group

Students at US universities.

If you're currently studying at a US institution please post in this thread with where you're studying and what you're studying. I think it would be useful to get a list of people together, so we know where everyone is and know which people can give insights on how it is to study at specific institutions.

By Institution

Louisiana State University
"Hurricane" - Mechanical Engineering

Stanford University
shady lane - International Relations

By Subject

International Relations
shady lane - Stanford University

Mechanical Engineering
"Hurricane" - Louisiana State University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not personally, but I have a couple of friends who are, namely:

Mathematics at Princeton
Engineering at Stanford
Economics at Chicago
Economics at NYU
Biomed Engineering at John's Hopkins (sp?)
Biomed Engineering (something similar at least; i can't remember for sure) at Chicago
Biological Sciences at Brown
Chemical Engineering at Cornell

... and a couple other smaller liberal arts universities. I don't keep in contact with some of them but if you've got a question, post it anyway and I'll see what I can do.
Im going to study Mechanical Engineering this Fall at LSU.
Reply 3
X
OP
Knogle
I'm not personally, but I have a couple of friends who are, namely:

Mathematics at Princeton
Engineering at Stanford
Economics at Chicago
Economics at NYU
Biomed Engineering at John's Hopkins (sp?)
Biomet Engineering (something similar at least; i can't remember for sure) at Chicago
Biological Sciences at Brown
Chemical Engineering at Cornell

... and a couple other smaller liberal arts universities. I don't keep in contact with some of them but if you've got a question, post it anyway and I'll see what I can do.

Thats awesome, won't add you to the list because you're not a real student but maybe I'll add a secondary list or something for people who know people at US institutions. Or you could encourage your friends to register, if you think they'd be interested :smile: .
Reply 4
X
Thats awesome, won't add you to the list because you're not a real student but maybe I'll add a secondary list or something for people who know people at US institutions. Or you could encourage your friends to register, if you think they'd be interested :smile: .

I'll ask, but there's hardly any incentive for them TBH, since as international students, they're not really interested in UK-talk. :wink:
Reply 5
X
OP
Knogle
I'll ask, but there's hardly any incentive for them TBH, since as international students, they're not really interested in UK-talk. :wink:

Well hopefully this part of the site at least won't stay very UK-orientated, there's nothing stopping this forum being expanded as and when we get more US students on board, they'd be like pioneers :biggrin: .
Reply 6
X
Well hopefully this part of the site at least won't stay very UK-orientated, there's nothing stopping this forum being expanded as and when we get more US students on board, they'd be like pioneers :biggrin: .

I'll pass the message on... :gthumb:
I'm going to a UK student in a few months...
but I just graduated from Stanford University, BA International Relations
Reply 8
X
OP
shady lane
I'm going to a UK student in a few months...
but I just graduated from Stanford University, BA International Relations

Have added you to the list also, I think its more the experience of having been there, rather than being there at this very moment in time :smile: .
I just graduated from Brooks Institute of Photography with a BA in Film Production (not film theory- BIG difference).

I've also attended two community colleges (for those who don't know, community colleges award only asssociate degrees).

And I've also got one four year university I attended in Michigan.

So I have pretty much been around the block and encountered everything you can encounter when enrolling in a university.
Reply 10
I'm in close contact with a friend who is doing History at Harvard. We were from the same sixth form college. If any of you have questions you want answered, post it here and I'll see what I can do. She is not a member of this forum, I'm afraid.
The George Washington University - BBA in Marketing (graduated May 2006)
e11even
I'm in close contact with a friend who is doing History at Harvard. We were from the same sixth form college. If any of you have questions you want answered, post it here and I'll see what I can do. She is not a member of this forum, I'm afraid.

Does she enjoy Harvard? What was the change in culture like? Are the professors helpful, or is it mostly left up to you? Are the graduate teachers any good?
Reply 13
The Ace is Back
Does she enjoy Harvard? What was the change in culture like? Are the professors helpful, or is it mostly left up to you? Are the graduate teachers any good?

I just sent an email to her. I'll copy and paste her answers as soon as she replies. :smile:
I'm at Northwestern, studying communication sciences and disorders. I'm always happy to answer questions--for what I pay to come here I might as well use my experience to benefit as many people as possible! :p:
Reply 15
University of Tennessee
Pre-Medical Track, BSc in Biochemistry and Cellular and Molecular Biology

Freshman year is done. The thread here about studying med in USA is pretty accurate, which is why I'm applying to study it in Britain in 2007. College is awesome in TN (I also am happy to answer questions about it!), but it's costing 20+ grand these first 4 years, over twice as much the following 4 years, plus there are NEVER reasonable airfares from that small college town. It's no wonder the locals don't travel very much...

Anyway, I'm really liking the idea of less years to graduate, EU-national fees, closeness to home and cool places like Italy... :biggrin:
I'm applying to 4 med courses and 2 physiotherapy courses. Imperial, St. Andrews, UCL, Queen's Belfast; then Cardiff and Southampton. I just registered to take the UKCAT at the end of the month. If anyone has some advice they wanna share about applying/studying/whatever, I'd love to hear it!
UTK or UTC antsukc??

I'll be at University of Tennessee (Knoxville) on an exchange year from mid August, studying History and Politics and ice skating on Wednesdays lol
Reply 17
To Tarts and Vicars,
UTK!!
Wow that's so awesome :biggrin: Let me guess where you'll be living... Andy Holt apartments?? That's where they put all the exchange students. And woohoo, I'll be living there too! We should go iceskating together sometime :cool:
Yep Andy Holt it is! Is it quieter in there than the regular dorms? I've got a UTK "buddy" who wants to take me to some frat parties lol
Reply 19
There are no quiet dorms. What's more, Andy Holt is probably the biggest building! And right next to frat row... Ohh, it's gonna be fun :p: The only drawback is that the fire alarm tends to go off way more than necessary, there's always some idiots playing with fire in there. Oh, and frat parties always means free beer for girls :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending