The Student Room Group

2014: Official list of Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs

Here is the list of the Top 10 highest paying jobs for this year
Which jobs on this list do you think deserve to be getting paid higher or lower,and why?
Reply 1
Dog training. Because then I could go into it with glee rather than reject it in favour of a more financially reliable career. This may or may not be a sincere suggestion.

I did come across a comment once calculating the pay a teacher would get if placed within a babysitting wage system. If you were to look at a teacher being a 'babysitter' to each of their pupils every single day they taught them, and then even place the 'value of their knowledge' on top of that, they'd probably be very well paid indeed. P:

Edit - I misread as to what should be on the list. :rolleyes: My mistake.
Reply 2
Original post by awe
Dog training. Because then I could go into it with glee rather than reject it in favour of a more financially reliable career.

The 3 main factors that decide how high the salary of a job is are:
-How many years of training is needed for the job
-How complicated the job is
-How much demand there is from employers for that job, in relations to supply

So based on those 3 assumptions there's no reason why dog training would earn much lol
Reply 3
Original post by Retroo
The 3 main factors that decide how high the salary of a job is are:
-How many years of training is needed for the job
-How complicated the job is
-How much demand there is from employers for that job, in relations to supply

So based on those 3 assumptions there's no reason why dog training would earn much lol

My comment was a joke! P: However I do object to the first two statements haha. You could never stop training, both literally within an institution and outside within your work. It is continuous, there is always more research and more findings, and then you have to respond to that research yourself and with your clients. It can be extremely complicated, when done properly with canine psychology it is a full-fat science. Unless you're in the communities this isn't common knowledge, unfortunately! It's all a bit underground perhaps. Still not sincerely suggesting it be paid 90k a year though. (;
Reply 4
I was referring to the training actually needed before you can get the job, for example to be a doctor it's at least 5 years, however a Mc'Donalds employee probably takes 5 minutes, yet they demand to get higher wages
Reply 5
Basically, regardless of what job you go into,go for the managerial positions and your pay will shoot up
Reply 6
**The Article has been updated with new figures and currencies**
Reply 7
This article is such BS.

First of all, I hate how they put it across 10 pages just to generate more advertising revenue. Ugh.

Secondly, taking an 'average' like that is just nonsense. How can you aggregate the earnings of a director in a FTSE 100 with a director of Bob's Shoe Store and then call that the average earnings of a director? It's just nonsense - those positions just aren't close to the same thing. Shall we include Toni and Guy "Style Directors" in this as well? Laughable.
I think they have just got that from the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings, (download the excel spreadsheet for table 14 to get the full list), as those job titles sound very much like Standard Occupation Classifications that are used in national statistics, which is why some are very broad like "chief executives and senior officials".

There are over 400 occupations in total, here are some that might be of interest to TSR....

Mean salary

£78,482 Aircraft pilots and flight engineers
£76,986 Financial managers and directors
£73,911 Financial institution managers and directors
£70,648 Medical practitioners
£65,185 Production managers and directors in mining and energy
£61,584 Actuaries, economists and statisticians
£53,567 Dental practitioners
£52,470 Physical scientists
£49,128 IT project and programme managers
£45,571 Barristers and judges
£45,360 Taxation experts
£44,439 Electrical engineers
£44,176 Mechanical engineers
£44,024 Architects
£42,811 Management consultants and business analysts
£42,761 Information technology and telecommunications professionals
£40,952 Financial accounts managers
£40,165 Programmers and software development professionals
£39,076 Higher education teaching professionals
£38,855 Quantity surveyors
£38,475 Production and process engineers
£38,236 Civil engineers
£37,850 Chartered and certified accountants
£36,751 Electronics engineers
£36,739 Pharmacists
£35,492 Chemical scientists
£35,480 Chartered surveyors
£35,117 Journalists, newspaper and periodical editors
£34,174 Psychologists
£33,407 Secondary education teaching professionals
£32,374 Veterinarians
£31,818 Public relations professionals
£31,505 Medical radiographers
£30,020 Midwives
£29,870 Web design and development professionals
£29,457 IT user support technicians
£28,999 Human resources and industrial relations professionals
£28,258 Artists
£27,814 Physiotherapists
£26,158 Nurses
£24,520 Farmers
Reply 9
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I think they have just got that from the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings, (download the excel spreadsheet for table 14 to get the full list), as those job titles sound very much like Standard Occupation Classifications that are used in national statistics, which is why some are very broad like "chief executives and senior officials".

There are over 400 occupations in total, here are some that might be of interest to TSR....

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:
About how much do investment bankers get, including their bonuses and shares?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending