The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crazylemon

Personally ambivalent about becoming Dr Lemon. Mainly because I see that name belonging to my father. I suppose I could double barrel but that also feels wrong...

Yeah, I associate it with my dad too - and he has the same initial as me too. Talk about stealing my thunder :hmpf: He's a PhD dr though :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
So written finals really weren't too bad, think I'd prepared enough for them not to throw anything drastically ridiculous. Now for a weekend off and the OSCE in just under a fortnight.
Newcastle are scrapping their osce's for the 3rd years and beyond... poor dears
Original post by Lantana

So they're keeping pre-clinical OSCEs and scrapping clinical OSCEs?
Original post by Lantana

Why? :s-smilie:
Original post by Kinkerz
So they're keeping pre-clinical OSCEs and scrapping clinical OSCEs?

Original post by Hippokrates
Why? :s-smilie:

I know for finals they're scrapping the whole lot and replacing them with (extra) MOSLERs instead. Potentially the others as well - because what's the point in practicing something you won't have to and neglecting the other format which you will.. The reason given was because you can just become a robot with it and tick all the boxes but not have to think about it which I can see their point about it. But if you drill enough times for OSCE's it makes you less anxious and is easier to do compared to trying to do MOSLER practice... Anyhow, won't affect me *evil laugh*
Yesterday I finished the longest and ?hardest year of medical school; thought I'd be feeling pretty good about it but to be honest I'm just pretty meh. Everything the med school do seems designed to **** us in various ways. The highlight must be the final day of my last placement before exam week. 1/4 of my group were reduced to tears when they didn't pass a clinical skills sign off on the first attempt and were told by one socially inept staff member that they wouldn't be allowed to sit the exam on Monday. Then they were told they could attempt the sign off again on the morning of the exam, but without any of the remedial teaching that I am fairly sure they are entitled to.

I thought that I'd got away pretty lightly, got my sign offs done and handed my logbook in to be signed off on the module by a consultant who I had never even seen. That evening I had an email from the (nice) admin lady telling me that Mr X refused to sign me off because of the MOST PEDANTIC BUNCH OF *******S THAT I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED and that I would have to attend clinic on the morning of my exam. This is partly because the clinics the timetabling people assigned me to did not provide sufficient exposure to tick every required box. Apparently I was supposed to just lie and say that I had done it, because that would have been the path of least resistance.

I'm not going to get started on my psych placement because thinking about that administrative cluster**** just makes the vein in my forehead pop.

I'm done with it. I'll play the game and work through to the end, but I'm never shilling for Nottingham Medical School again. The next time an applicant asks me a question they are getting a completely honest answer.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Yesterday I finished the longest and ?hardest year of medical school; thought I'd be feeling pretty good about it but to be honest I'm just pretty meh. Everything the med school do seems designed to **** us in various ways. The highlight must be the final day of my last placement before exam week. 1/4 of my group were reduced to tears when they didn't pass a clinical skills sign off on the first attempt and were told by one socially inept staff member that they wouldn't be allowed to sit the exam on Monday. Then they were told they could attempt the sign off again on the morning of the exam, but without any of the remedial teaching that I am fairly sure they are entitled to.

I thought that I'd got away pretty lightly, got my sign offs done and handed my logbook in to be signed off on the module by a consultant who I had never even seen. That evening I had an email from the (nice) admin lady telling me that Mr X refused to sign me off because of the MOST PEDANTIC BUNCH OF *******S THAT I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED and that I would have to attend clinic on the morning of my exam. This is partly because the clinics the timetabling people assigned me to did not provide sufficient exposure to tick every required box. Apparently I was supposed to just lie and say that I had done it, because that would have been the path of least resistance.

I'm not going to get started on my psych placement because thinking about that administrative cluster**** just makes the vein in my forehead pop.

I'm done with it. I'll play the game and work through to the end, but I'm never shilling for Nottingham Medical School again. The next time an applicant asks me a question they are getting a completely honest answer.

Sorry to hear that buddy, it's never nice when you're dumped on like that :frown: I agree that sometimes we are just forced to play a game and jump through hoops. Final push though, hopefully it will be worth it for you in the end.
Original post by Lantana
I know for finals they're scrapping the whole lot and replacing them with (extra) MOSLERs instead. Potentially the others as well - because what's the point in practicing something you won't have to and neglecting the other format which you will.. The reason given was because you can just become a robot with it and tick all the boxes but not have to think about it which I can see their point about it. But if you drill enough times for OSCE's it makes you less anxious and is easier to do compared to trying to do MOSLER practice... Anyhow, won't affect me *evil laugh*

What on earth is a MOSLER?

Fission_Mailed
x

Sounds crap. But you've survived! Try to give them feedback, though I can't guarantee it'll get listened to.
I thought people exaggerated when they said 2nd year was hard....but nope, it's exam time and I'm literally finding it the hardest year of my life :-/ I've honestly never worked so hard in my life and to make matters worse, I feel like I've retained nothing and I keep forgetting details. Rant over.

I thought that I'd got away pretty lightly, got my sign offs done and handed my logbook in to be signed off on the module by a consultant who I had never even seen. That evening I had an email from the (nice) admin lady telling me that Mr X refused to sign me off because of the MOST PEDANTIC BUNCH OF *******S THAT I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED and that I would have to attend clinic on the morning of my exam. This is partly because the clinics the timetabling people assigned me to did not provide sufficient exposure to tick every required box. Apparently I was supposed to just lie and say that I had done it, because that would have been the path of least resistance..

I've come against that problem too, really infuriating. It's almost as if medical school is trying to hit all the honesty and probity out of you. And then their 'solution' to the problem just compounds things and you end up with a pissed off stressed student who had to traipse round doing pointless things when there were more effective uses to do with that time in which they could actually be learning something. And they wonder how we all transition into bitter cynics...

Original post by Helenia
What on earth is a MOSLER?

Multiple Observed Structured Long Examination Records!!

7 mins for hx, 7 mins for exam (you have to choose appropriate one and can bodge them together from different systems if you like e.g. in diabetes) and 6 mins for presentation and questioning

3 of those and 1 of an explanation station - so looking forward to it :no:
...and that I would have to attend clinic on the morning of my exam...

That souunds dreadful! But think positively; you've made it through the year! A longish(?) summer to look forward to now!

Original post by Lantana

And yeah, what is the MOSLER? Would be interesting to see just how different this is from the OSCE and the PACES.
Original post by Nuttyneuron
I thought people exaggerated when they said 2nd year was hard....but nope, it's exam time and I'm literally finding it the hardest year of my life :-/ I've honestly never worked so hard in my life and to make matters worse, I feel like I've retained nothing and I keep forgetting details. Rant over.

Don't worry, you'll get through it. 2nd year is certainly tough and there's a lot of stuff to learn, but if me and all my mates could do it, so can anyone :tongue: Good luck, just that final push now!
Original post by Mushi_master
Don't worry, you'll get through it. 2nd year is certainly tough and there's a lot of stuff to learn, but if me and all my mates could do it, so can anyone :tongue: Good luck, just that final push now!

This was written several months ago, but I only just saw it for the first time this afternoon. Very interesting read if you haven't already read it.

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/guddi-singh/asleep-on-job-englands-young-doctors-and-nhs-reforms
Original post by Nuttyneuron

Join the club!
You'll be fine I'm sure, I think we do paper 2 with you on friday?
I am going to be soooo drunk next friday afternoon it's going to be brilliant - a shame we have teaching again starting the tuesday after :'(
Original post by Kmohazeb
Sorry, I know this is irrelevant but I love your dp :wink:

Faqat Irano mardomesh :smile:)

Indeed :wink::biggrin:
Original post by Lantana
Multiple Observed Structured Long Examination Records!!

7 mins for hx, 7 mins for exam (you have to choose appropriate one and can bodge them together from different systems if you like e.g. in diabetes) and 6 mins for presentation and questioning

3 of those and 1 of an explanation station - so looking forward to it :no:

Sounds entirely sensible to me. In fact I'm amazed this kind of thing hasn't been instigated in more schools and sooner than now.

More difficult to assess practical skills though, presumably.
Signing up to do lots of teaching on the basis that if i make the presentations now i'll be set for all that teaching i'll have time for in my future career :erm: Prezi is still fun though :biggrin:
Original post by nexttime
Signing up to do lots of teaching on the basis that if i make the presentations now i'll be set for all that teaching i'll have time for in my future career :erm: Prezi is still fun though :biggrin:

Are you going to be one of those annoying doctors who opens up presentations from 2007 that still have the same spelling mistakes? :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending