The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York firmers 2014

Hello, just thought I would create a thread for York firmers as I couldn't find one for this year! I am hoping to study biology, maybe going to try for one of the exchange programmes outside of Europe, but will decide when I get there. :smile: Also thinking of applying to James college, but haven't really looked into all the accommodation side of things yet. Anyway it would be good to hear from others going to York and we can discuss courses and colleges and York in general............ :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there! Not put down my firm and insurance yet (still got another open day to attend), but York is definitely my firm! I'm also thinking of applying to James college, the new buildings there seemed quite nice, wouldn't want one of the old ones however...
University of York
York
Hi all, Firmed York for Economics/Economic History. Haven't a clue on the accommodation side of things, I was thinking Alcuin but theres still some time to sirt that out!

Wishing you the best of luck for the exam!
I've also applied to Biology and am 99% sure I will be firming York, I'm too scared to officially do it though :P I'm also considering James, or perhaps Alcuin.
Reply 4
Hey guys! I've firmed York for English lit and am thinking of Vanbrugh for accommodation :smile:
Haven't long firmed York for English, but still not sure on which college to go for yet, although I'm thinking James.
Reply 6
I've firmed York for English Lit, and I like the sound of Vanbrugh (and I'm not just copying vikingmeg) :biggrin:
Hi there :smile: I've firmed York for Psychology, looking at James college for accommodation, I really hope I get the grades, I want to go to York so bad! :biggrin:
Getting pretty excited about uni now! Anyone else? So many clubs and societies to get involved in! But haven't firmed yet, not sure why, it's just making that commitment. Also anyone done their student finance? is it as laborious as UCAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm flip flopping firming between Politics at York or Edinburgh Uni. Will be visiting and going on campus tours soon. Hopefully it will make my choice better. If I firm York I like the look of James College!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zakkaz
I've firmed York for English Lit, and I like the sound of Vanbrugh (and I'm not just copying vikingmeg) :biggrin:

Great minds think alike
Original post by Chocolatefrogs
Getting pretty excited about uni now! Anyone else? So many clubs and societies to get involved in! But haven't firmed yet, not sure why, it's just making that commitment. Also anyone done their student finance? is it as laborious as UCAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here! Lots of exciting societies at York! Student finance is pretty quick as long as you have your passport and national insurance number on hand, not as bad as Ucas and all it's personal statement glory
Original post by vikingmeg
Same here! Lots of exciting societies at York! Student finance is pretty quick as long as you have your passport and national insurance number on hand, not as bad as Ucas and all it's personal statement glory

Ok cool! Good to hear it's not too tedious :smile: what are your thoughts on catered vs self catered? I really want to go self catered as to me it's that extra bit of freedom! But my parents are trying pretty hard to convince me to go catered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chocolatefrogs
Ok cool! Good to hear it's not too tedious :smile: what are your thoughts on catered vs self catered? I really want to go self catered as to me it's that extra bit of freedom! But my parents are trying pretty hard to convince me to go catered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely self-catered for me I think. I'm a vegetarian so it's more convenient for me and cheaper in the long run as long as I spend carefully, besides I like the freedom of being able to eat when I want. Plus, I might be wrong but I don't think catered provides every meal so you'd still be spending money on top of that.

Do you prefer ensuite or shared bathroom?
Hi! I applied for deferred entry last year so had York firmed for well over a year now! Excited to be finally going in just a couple of months. I'm going to do chemistry and hoping to apply for Alcuin.
Hey everyone! I have firmed York for Biochemistry, and I am hoping to apply for accommodation in Alcuin :smile:
Really looking forward to going!

Congratulations on all of your offers :biggrin:
Reply 16
I can't wait, just hope I get the grades now!!

Original post by vikingmeg
Great minds think alike

Indeed they do
Reply 17
Firmed for York for film and television production. Thinking goodricke for accommodation but I'm so undecided! Anyone got any opinions on the different colleges? Would also be cool to hear from any other film and TV firmers!
Reply 18
99% sure I'll be firming York for Law, so excited! But pressure is mounting now in terms of all the revision needed.
I'm thinking of Langwith!
Reply 19
Hi everyone, I've just put down York as my firm choice for Midwifery, and I'm thinking about Alcuin College :smile: so excited for Sept 2014 now! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest