The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York firmers 2014

Scroll to see replies

Chances are if you've ended up in Halifax, you had no choice. Trust me, Halifax is much better than it's made out to be and, in my opinion, being completely detached from the working environment of Hes East & West is nice and relaxing. Plus it's the biggest college and you'll find you'll make a LOT of friends because there are so many people around.

Also, your rooms are typically bigger than standard rooms in the others colleges. :smile:

ALSO. Horses.

The only downside really is the kitchens are pretty awful.
(edited 9 years ago)
University of York
York
Original post by grape monster

The only downside really is the kitchens are pretty awful.

Expand on this cause I'm gonna cook often.
I came via clearing and really want either James or Derwent, what do you guys think? will there be any spaces with the economy standard?
Original post by Brodderz
I came via clearing and really want either James or Derwent, what do you guys think? will there be any spaces with the economy standard?

There may be spaces on Economy Standard Catered in Derwent - there was when I applied at quarter to 4 - and I went for Derwent. Which course are you going to do?
I want to be in the sporty/social area of campus!

I'm doing Accounting, Business Finance and Management, yet to find someone doing the same course as me
Original post by Brodderz
I want to be in the sporty/social area of campus!

I'm doing Accounting, Business Finance and Management, yet to find someone doing the same course as me

The sporty college is generally quoted as James :smile:
Reply 586
Original post by Photovoltaic
Probably will I imagine. Yeah wasn't a very enjoyable experience but I've applied for an ensuite in Langwith, you?

I'm applying tomorrow as I went through clearing, hope to get somewhere close to the department tbh
Original post by Pat Mustard
Missed Alcuin! :frown: didn't realise I had the email until this afternoon. Anybody else in for en suite Langwith?

Ah I'm the same, missed Alcuin and applied for ensuite in Langwith. It's looks great though, think we'll enjoy it there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
Expand on this cause I'm gonna cook often.

It depends on which court you're in. In St Lawrence, there's 20 to a house. There are two kitchens but they're not nearly big enough, especially when you compare them to other colleges. The other courts have around 10 to a house and kitchen space is considerably better.

My house found the cooker and oven kept breaking to the point where the smaller kitchen was basically out of use in second term. It's a pain but it's bearable so long as the entire house isn't trying to cook at once. Of course, I haven't lived in every house in Halifax - this is just my personal experience.
It depends on which court you're in. In St Lawrence, there's 20 to a house. There are two kitchens but they're not nearly big enough, especially when you compare them to other colleges. The other courts have around 10 to a house and kitchen space is considerably better.

My house found the cooker and oven kept breaking to the point where the smaller kitchen was basically out of use in second term. It's a pain but it's bearable so long as the entire house isn't trying to cook at once. Of course, I haven't lived in every house in Halifax - this is just my personal experience.

What about [h="1"]Ainsty Court, do you know anything about it?[/h]

Im not too bothered about the kitchen. Will most likely spend absolutely zero time in there whatsoever. I cant cook lol
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
What about [h="1"]Ainsty Court, do you know anything about it?[/h]

Rooms are a bit smaller than the average Halifax room but that's because they're en-suite, I think. I've been in one flat that had a pretty small kitchen but there were only 6 or so people (I think) sharing it. The other flat I've seen had a considerably bigger kitchen.

Ainsty is a liiiittle separate from the other courts but everyone in Ainsty tends to know one another. That's all I really know!
Original post by andyt8765
Ah I'm the same, missed Alcuin and applied for ensuite in Langwith. It's looks great though, think we'll enjoy it there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep Alcuin wasn't even an option by the time I got my email, I've applied for Langwith ensuite also
Original post by Benny100
Hey, I think your first year modules will be similar to economics as the first year is to provide everyone with a strong knowledge of all the different areas...

Thanks very much ; I haven't bought any books yet, but I've been able to find parts of (or sometimes whole) textbooks in pdf form online. Also, yes, it does look as though the first year is a common core
Original post by jennifere
What do you mean? What did you have to do to set it up properly?

Aah, I didn't realise you had to log on to the email account via Gmail. At least I got it sorted in the end though :tongue:
Original post by xGraceygirlx
Me:smile: What are you studying?

English lit! The modules for it look really great, I'm excited about getting started. What are you studying?
Reply 596
Due to a complication I'm only able to apply for accommodation now, and I received the 'Joining instructions' email and upgraded my IT account, but I still can't apply for it? Am I supposed to still do something first before I can apply for accommodation?
Original post by kaizzu
Due to a complication I'm only able to apply for accommodation now, and I received the 'Joining instructions' email and upgraded my IT account, but I still can't apply for it? Am I supposed to still do something first before I can apply for accommodation?

You should have got an email to your York account with instructions on how to apply, have you got that?
Reply 598
Original post by CallMeBatwoman
You should have got an email to your York account with instructions on how to apply, have you got that?

Yes, I did that. I upgraded my IT account although I don't think it asked me to put in my date of birth as it says on the email... Do I need to complete the enrolment first before I can apply for accommodation or not?

Someone a few posts up mentioned something about needing a gmail account, is that so?
Original post by kaizzu
Yes, I did that. I upgraded my IT account although I don't think it asked me to put in my date of birth as it says on the email... Do I need to complete the enrolment first before I can apply for accommodation or not?

Someone a few posts up mentioned something about needing a gmail account, is that so?

I'd recommend enrolling ASAP anyway but I don't think you need it to apply. You should have a gmail account through the uni with your log in details being your username @york.ac.uk plus whatever password you set for your IT account, the email to apply for accommodation will have been sent to that email address :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest