De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Starting at De Montfort for 2014?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ashley Redman
:P I took my A levels a few years ago haha, I'm 20, starting uni a little late i know :frown: hope I'm not the oldest there, but for A levels I took Computing, I.T and Product Design :smile: I work like 20/30 minutes away from the University campus.

Your self? :smile:

Ohh ok :biggrin: why the late start? If you dont mind me asking :smile: and I'm doing Art, Maths and Economics :biggrin: Thats good then! not too far from home! Oh Wow! where do you work? I really need a summer job, but its really hard to find one :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by hemmie
Ohh ok :biggrin: why the late start? If you dont mind me asking :smile: and I'm doing Art, Maths and Economics :biggrin: Thats good then! not too far from home! Oh Wow! I really need a summer job, but its really hard to find one :frown:

:P Well, basically I f##ked up my A levels, so I started at a new college, earned some diplomas in an apprenticeship, worked for quite some time :smile: then thought, I need to get back into something more academic.

:smile: Yeah quite close, and summer jobs are hard to find :/ but I guess it depends on what you want to do!
Reply 22
:P Well, basically I f##ked up my A levels, so I started at a new college, earned some diplomas in an apprenticeship, worked for quite some time :smile: then thought, I need to get back into something more academic.

:smile: Yeah quite close, and summer jobs are hard to find :/ but I guess it depends on what you want to do!

Aw! well at least you got a hell of a lot experience! yeah :frown: I had an interview and i messed it up badly and i really wanted to work there :frown: i'l probably send out a lot of letters to different architecture firms and see if i get any work experience.
Original post by hemmie
Aw! well at least you got a hell of a lot experience! yeah :frown: I had an interview and i messed it up badly and i really wanted to work there :frown: i'l probably send out a lot of letters to different architecture firms and see if i get any work experience.

What I have found to be the most effective way to gaining experience is going to the company's website, emailing them (with a CV attached I guess) offering a week or two volunteering work (asking if a soon be to be student could offer any value to them for that amount of time), It does suck working for nothing but it's a pretty solid way of at least getting involved, then potentially they might take you on for the rest of the summer with or without pay, money wise its sucks :P but experience wise, I don't think you can beat anything like that at this age.

Also create a LinkedIn account :smile: its a good way to network with people and businesses.

:biggrin:
Reply 24
What I have found to be the most effective way to gaining experience is going to the company's website, emailing them (with a CV attached I guess) offering a week or two volunteering work (asking if a soon be to be student could offer any value to them for that amount of time), It does suck working for nothing but it's a pretty solid way of at least getting involved, then potentially they might take you on for the rest of the summer with or without pay, money wise its sucks :P but experience wise, I don't think you can beat anything like that at this age.

Also create a LinkedIn account :smile: its a good way to network with people and businesses.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to try that! Ok will do :biggrin: so whats it like in Leicester? As in is there a lot to do? :smile:
Original post by hemmie
Thanks! I'm definitely going to try that! Ok will do :biggrin: so whats it like in Leicester? As in is there a lot to do? :smile:

Leicester its self, its not bad, theres a good amount of places to go shopping :P which is always a plus for me.
its a nice area really, around the center. Depends on what you want I guess, plenty of places to go out etc if thats what your into :smile:

Where abouts are you coming from? :smile:
Reply 26
Leicester its self, its not bad, theres a good amount of places to go shopping :P which is always a plus for me.
its a nice area really, around the center. Depends on what you want I guess, plenty of places to go out etc if thats what your into :smile:

Where abouts are you coming from? :smile:

Ok :biggrin: thats fine then, because when i came for the open day i didn't get an opportunity to look around :frown: but sounds fine so yay! I'm from London :biggrin: love it when the weathers good haha!
Original post by hemmie
Ok :biggrin: thats fine then, because when i came for the open day i didn't get an opportunity to look around :frown: but sounds fine so yay! I'm from London :biggrin: love it when the weathers good haha!

:O London, i'm jealous :frown: when did you come for the open day? I went for one but I looked bait stupid walking around on my own :P
Reply 28
:O London, i'm jealous :frown: when did you come for the open day? I went for one but I looked bait stupid walking around on my own :P

hahaha! Its not that special i guess, but then again i've lived here my whole life so i'm used to it :P and i came last year and then again for my interview so its been a while :s-smilie: and aww! ahh atleast you didnt get lost! We tried looking for this building for a talk and we got lost! Our faces were like "Oh ok urm.. PANIC!" it was so embarrasing! and people were just staring at us like Wow what on earth are they doing! :eek:
Original post by hemmie
hahaha! Its not that special i guess, but then again i've lived here my whole life so i'm used to it :P and i came last year and then again for my interview so its been a while :s-smilie: and aww! ahh atleast you didnt get lost! We tried looking for this building for a talk and we got lost! Our faces were like "Oh ok urm.. PANIC!" it was so embarrasing! and people were just staring at us like Wow what on earth are they doing! :eek:

:P No worries, after some time you will get used to the area!
Reply 30
:P No worries, after some time you will get used to the area!

Hopefully! that was a really scary experience :O
Reply 31
Original post by MBarratt1
Originally from Rugby which is closeish to Leicester and wanted to be closer to my hometown but moved to Cornwall last year so quite far away :smile: you?

ha i lived in bedford not far from leic and moved to devon last summer, sort of same situation lol! i wanted to be close to home aswell:smile: 4hour train journey tho:frown:
Hello all! Single honours Film or Victoria Halls block A anyone?
Reply 33
Original post by MBarratt1
I'm going, doing media and film studies :smile: Booking my accommodation tonight but still unsure which one! Probably Liberty Park! :smile:

hey! did you get a place in liberty for real? :biggrin:
Just making a post for anyone who is starting at De Montfort Uni this September :smile:

Anyone else?

Halls situation?

Feelings about it etc?

Studing Fine Art, staying at Newark Point! Im feeling a bit nervous but cant wait for the fresh start and new faces! xx
Original post by Shannon Connolly
Studing Fine Art, staying at Newark Point! Im feeling a bit nervous but cant wait for the fresh start and new faces! xx

:biggrin: I'm also at Newark Point, where abouts?

I know what you mean :biggrin: fresh start sounds pretty good
:biggrin: I'm also at Newark Point, where abouts?

I know what you mean :biggrin: fresh start sounds pretty good

Im in NP -C-3-3 you?

Yeah i cant wait! Just got 2 weeks of college to get through and then summer!
I'm also in newarke point np-c-3-4 :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gemmahare
I'm also in newarke point np-c-3-4 :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool thats like the flat next to me
Original post by Shannon Connolly
Im in NP -C-3-3 you?

Yeah i cant wait! Just got 2 weeks of college to get through and then summer!

:biggrin: Awesome, I'm in NP-A-5-1 room C :P

Not long now >.<

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending