The Student Room Group

Will Liverpool ever get a better chance to win the title?

Liverpool have undoubtedly done well this season, even the most hardcore Liverpool fan could never have predicted a title challenge. However, to have the title in their hands with a few games to go only to lose it has got to hurt. Will Gerrard ever get to lift the trophy?

Manchester City and Chelsea have been far from their best this season, and Manchester United goes without saying. None of these sides will be as poor as they have been next year. Chelsea will sign a top striker as well as having Courtois/Lukaku back from their loans. Manchester City will spend big, and Manchester United will undoubtedly have a huge squad overhaul. Then there's Arsenal, who have money to spend for the first time in years. The top 4 will consist of 4 of these 5 teams.

Liverpool will have to cope with a really tough Champions League group due to their poor seeding. Rodgers has got away with not having to rotate this year, he will not be able to do that next year. They will also have to keep Suarez away from Real Madrid, and hope that their average players who have punched above their weight this year can repeat the feat next season as well as strengthening the squad properly. Lallana has had a good season, but should they be targetting players of more proven quality?

Liverpool will not get a better chance to win the league title again for many years.

Scroll to see replies

Liverpool's best chance:

Spoiler

I would be amazed if they get this close again in the next few years.
Original post by sr90
x

I hope that Liverpool is able to win the title in the next years, but I don't believe in it. It is a likeable team and the fans are full of passion and likeable as well. It was the best chance in my opinion which Liverpool has ever had.

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Liverpool's best chance:

Spoiler

Yeah, back to the time in which Liverpool was a power in league - and in Europe!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Liverpool's best chance:

Spoiler

:laugh: That's the best one i've seen so far.
Reply 5
They won't have a better chance than this season, but they could still have a chance.
Reply 6
Original post by sr90
Liverpool have undoubtedly done well this season, even the most hardcore Liverpool fan could never have predicted a title challenge. However, to have the title in their hands with a few games to go only to lose it has got to hurt. Will Gerrard ever get to lift the trophy?

Manchester City and Chelsea have been far from their best this season, and Manchester United goes without saying. None of these sides will be as poor as they have been next year. Chelsea will sign a top striker as well as having Courtois/Lukaku back from their loans. Manchester City will spend big, and Manchester United will undoubtedly have a huge squad overhaul. Then there's Arsenal, who have money to spend for the first time in years. The top 4 will consist of 4 of these 5 teams.

Liverpool will have to cope with a really tough Champions League group due to their poor seeding. Rodgers has got away with not having to rotate this year, he will not be able to do that next year. They will also have to keep Suarez away from Real Madrid, and hope that their average players who have punched above their weight this year can repeat the feat next season as well as strengthening the squad properly. Lallana has had a good season, but should they be targetting players of more proven quality?

Liverpool will not get a better chance to win the league title again for many years.

One thing I will say is a very similar statement was made by a lot of fans in the aftermath of the 08-09 season. They will have a chance again at some point.
Reply 7
A chance, but not as a greater chance as this year.
Reply 8
Original post by Pete_91
One thing I will say is a very similar statement was made by a lot of fans in the aftermath of the 08-09 season. They will have a chance again at some point.

Yh but after the season after, Liverpool basically crumbled out of the top 4 and into the mid table. Same thing could happen if Liverpool lose Suarez just like Liverpool lost Alonso.
Reply 9
Original post by samir12
Yh but after the season after, Liverpool basically crumbled out of the top 4 and into the mid table. Same thing could happen if Liverpool lose Suarez just like Liverpool lost Alonso.

That's perfectly reasonable to predict but that was only 5 years ago so the notion that they won't challenge again for a long time is flawed. They will have another chance in the next few years.
Reply 10
It really is. Gerrard definitely isn't going to win one.

I don't buy the argument that suddenly United will turn the corner. Rooney is still going to be hot and cold whomever the manager is. JVP is a year older and obviously has early onset osteoarthritis so maybe one season left (he's also going to need a contract renewable soon so will want something close to that Rooney 300k).

Chelsea might buy the best stoker ever but Mourinho's ego will still want to be given credit for tactically setting up his team to be impenetrable so what happens if the striker doesn't get the service. They'll still find themselves struggling at home to Burnley.

And city are the kind of person that see a 1 million quid check on the street and walk past it. Cursed club. They won't win it next season. Kompany has been found out and Aguero can't stay fit.

Yh just ****ted on everyone except Arsenal.
Original post by sr90
:laugh: That's the best one i've seen so far.

They just won't stop.

On a serious note, I'm sure their time will come again. I see Chelsea winning the league for the foreseeable with Mourinho in charge. He'll definitely get it right next season.

Will Gerrard ever lift the trophy? Doubt it. I'll be amazed if he does. Chelsea and City will continue to bring in top players, Arsenal are in a great position and United will always be a huge club. There were only two teams to beat this season and Liverpool beat one of them. Next season (and beyond), there'll be four teams for them to beat.
Original post by samir12

Hicks & Gillett were a far bigger problem than the loss of Alonso. I don't think they'll decline as rapidly as we have this season, or as they themselves did in 09/10, but I don't think Liverpool are assured of a top 4 place next season. It'll be 2 from us, them and Arsenal.
Original post by sr90
Hicks & Gillett were a far bigger problem than the loss of Alonso. I don't think they'll decline as rapidly as we have this season, or as they themselves did in 09/10, but I don't think Liverpool are assured of a top 4 place next season. It'll be 2 from us, them and Arsenal.

I'm going to hold off until after signings have been made. The summer transfer is going to be key to whether Liverpool will challenge or even make top 4 next season.
These type of comments always make me laugh, when sports fans say "X club will NEVER again get a better chance than...."

I presume if you are so good at seeing in to the future that you're a happy man after collecting your winnings on your bet that Liverpool would come 2nd and Man United wouldn't even qualify for Europe. You did see that coming right?

I remember when City got relegated in 2001, hearing all the phone ins on Manchester Piccadilly radio where people used to say stuff like "City will NEVER be a big club again, there is too much money in the game now and if you're not in the Champions League never mind the Premiership you are cut adrift and will slowly die".

The financial fair play rules will restrict City and Chelsea's ability to outspend everyone else and monopolise all the talent so that will level things up a bit and push Arsenal and Liverpool back up in to contention, and of course with the right manager United will come back too.

I think Liverpool are very much back in the mix.
lol, the troll never ends. Have no idea how United and Arsenal fans are piping up so much.

It's quite simple. If a team gets 90 points, they win the league. Liverpool get 90 points next year, and they'll win the league.

This year Liverpool have 84. They need to make signings worth 6 points and a few to enable a CL run. It's not implausible, we're third favourites after City and Chelsea in the minds of the bookies. Don't see how you can write off a team that just scored 101 goals - it's much easier to get a good defence and that will be sorted out this summer.

Look forward to an era of Liverpool competing for the title, ladies and gents.
One day they're going to win it again but I can't see it happening for a long time. This was their chance, no European football, no long cup runs to contend with and no real pressure on them until the end. They could play the way they wanted to for the most part because they weren't closely scrutinised and criticised like the other big teams, cos top 4 in itself was their aim. So they built up confidence and really believed this could be the year.

Going into next year now all their fans and the press are going to be looking for them to be involved again and that's gonna heap massive pressure on them. Being so close and so sure of winning it - for a group of players who never have - could totally break them. Gerrard surely will never win it now.

Not to mention the fact that their pot one status has long gone in the Champions League. They could end up being the whipping boys for Europe's elite next season.
Original post by IanDangerously
Not to mention the fact that their pot one status has long gone in the Champions League. They could end up being the whipping boys for Europe's elite next season.

Everyone in Europe will **** themselves at the prospect of Liverpool in their group. The only team that has outplayed us this season over two matches is Chelsea.
Never.
Quite predictably they lost their bottle on the run in. They do not have the mental strength to go again next year. Forget the Scousers for another 20 years.

Quick Reply

Latest