The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by somethingunique
But I mean is it really fair to say ''people with 2:2s dont deserve a job''?

Of course it isn't.

But corporates are not exactly pumping money into HR's recruitment process, helping people from all walks of life get employed are they?

Frankly, many don't give a **** about people with 2.2s/**** UCAS points etc. That's why the OP is screwed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SloaneRanger
I can go to my director and he would give me a few days off a week to do it.

Again off topic.
Original post by fat_hobbit
Again off topic.

My point was people that work for these grad schemes have the opportunity, they have shown as if you cited the whole post. Showing good grades at alevel and degree its safe for a company to invest into qualifications for its workers. Im sure your uncles company can do the same, its only £500 expenditure. He can claim it back on his tax return, he just doesn't trust you enough to do so.
I thought the UK was in desperate need of STEM graduates. Why is the OP and many other Computer Science grads unemployed :/
Reply 384
Mad Vlad is right.

And the higher you go up the league tables, the more theoretical the courses are.

I know at Edinburgh, students spend a lot more time doing math, rather than actually programming. That was the common complaint those who transferred from Edinburgh to Aberdeen had.

So when these students go out into the commercial environment they have gaps in their knowledge. And very often, instead of making lives easier for themselves, by using frameworks, 3rd party API, they try and create everything from scratch. There is an art to software engineering, which you only truly appreciate ONCE you work in industry and work on a commercial app

The art is in managing the complexity and that certaintly doesn't involve writing your own search/sort/collection implementations.
All I am saying, its fair enough they want to do things that way.

But it's not like they can still get good quality candidates by doing it how IBM has.

It just means a more rigourous selection process to get to the final round. I believe IBM had 4-5 rounds.

I never got in, but I am thankful they gave me the chance. Better than getting your app chucked in the bin at app stage because of UCAS points.

I believe in giving people second chances, you and sloane don't. If they had a bad time during ALs but worked hard during their degree to get a 2.1, you know what that is testament to how they picked themselves up after a set back. A key skill in business.

They have a limited number of places. Why do you deserve a chance more than those who worked hard, got the grades and everything else too? By giving you a second chance this would take away the chance from someone who has the UCAS points, who has the consistently good grades, who has the experiences. 160 apps for 1 place at Unilever, and it is not even remotely one of the most popular companies afaik. You feel the way you do because you do not see it from the employer's perspective. It is an employer's market and the way they do it is fair in getting the best candidates in. You think that out of all the candidates they don't have what you have in experience and then the academic grades too? There are plenty with more calibre than you, do they have to give up their first chance so that you can have your second chance? World does not work like that. Resit your A-Levels or quit moaning about what is a fair system.
Original post by INTit
The art is in managing the complexity and that certaintly doesn't involve writing your own search/sort/collection implementations.

I agree.
UCAS points are for getting into a university not a job.

Original post by Tom_Ford
They have a limited number of places. Why do you deserve a chance more than those who worked hard, got the grades and everything else too? By giving you a second chance this would take away the chance from someone who has the UCAS points, who has the consistently good grades, who has the experiences. 160 apps for 1 place at Unilever, and it is not even remotely one of the most popular companies afaik. You feel the way you do because you do not see it from the employer's perspective. It is an employer's market and the way they do it is fair in getting the best candidates in. You think that out of all the candidates they don't have what you have in experience and then the academic grades too? There are plenty with more calibre than you, do they have to give up their first chance so that you can have your second chance? World does not work like that. Resit your A-Levels or quit moaning about what is a fair system.

Private companies can ask you to do the samba if they wanted to. Its there money, just like your uncle wouldn't hire me because i have to many ucas points. I think that is discriminatory!
Sorry guys. All you graduates with big loans have been conned. Better to start in Tesco post GCSE. Find a gf. Get her pregnant. Council house etc.

Your arguments really are getting desperate lol. Again, that is your opinion not the employer. They can ask for you as a Brit to know 3 languages if they wanted to (some jobs do in fact). It's their money and resources, not yours.
Doesn't mean you have to justify their **** policies.
Your arguments really are getting desperate lol. Again, that is your opinion not the employer. They can ask for you as a Brit to know 3 languages if they wanted to (some jobs do in fact). It's their money and resources, not yours.
Doesn't mean you have to justify their **** policies.

Your opinion, not mine. I think their policies are fair (companies which require high UCAS points).

Yeah, UCL has a language requirement he just doesn't like it and will go on about unfair teaching. He doesn't want to blame bad parents. Every time I direct it to bad parenting he edits the reply.
Your opinion, not mine. I think their policies are fair (companies which require high UCAS points).

But UCAS points was original used to get into uni.

Again even a cabbage as a parent would have said, get good A-Level grades. He isn't willing to point blame to those who affected his results. People that are around you are influencers to good and bad results.
But UCAS points was original used to get into uni.

Well , explain why those who leave college and don't go to universities when applying for jobs also have a UCAS grade requirement for jobs they are applying for? Grades are a central part of the recruitment process for graduates at both college and university level , whether you like it or not. The fact that you think you know better than all of these big companies who have had years upon years of successful recruitment is really reflective of your arrogance. The world is not going to move for your benefit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MUN123
I graduated last month with a 2:2 in Computer science and since then I have been applying for graduate jobs non-stop with a lot of rejections. I then had to sign on JSA, now the Job center are advising me to work for free for 2 weeks in a call center to get "experience" which I've refused because I dislike to be exploited by the company and work for free in a field that does not interest me.

I explained to the Job centers that I'm interested in IT jobs to which they replied that they would not be paying me benefits so that I could sit and wait for a very specific job. And after applying to loads of minimum wage jobs and getting loads of rejections they want me to work for free in some crappy job to get experience.

The other day they sent me to a compulsory course which explained about how to use the internet to apply for jobs I thought it was laughable they must be stuck in the 90's. They have no clue on how to deal with graduates

I know exactly how you feel. I'm glad I'm not the only one. They made me attend that same thing earlier this week. The Job center are completely inadequate to deal with graduates. They are only hindering my search for a job by making me attend these pointless things designed for people who can barley read or write.

I have a 2.1 degree and I've been rejected from Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, McDonalds, Pizza Hut and Greggs just to name a few....
Degree mark is more relevant tbh,

Well , explain why those who leave college and don't go to universities when applying for jobs also have a UCAS grade requirement for jobs they are applying for? Grades are a central part of the recruitment process for graduates at both college and university level , whether you like it or not. The fact that you think you know better than all of these big companies who have had years upon years of successful recruitment is really reflective of your arrogance. The world is not going to move for your benefit.
Degree mark is more relevant tbh,

Everything is relevant. You have to have everything and employers have every right to demand this. It is your own fault you're too inactive to retake your A-Levels. You've had years since graduation to do so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending