The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
As someone who didn't go to medlink as an applicant and only went for the first time this year to help out at the stall I thought it was crazy, i just couldn't believe how busy it was, we gave out over 2,700 prospectuses and I lost my voice :frown: people seemed to enjoy it though.
Reply 121
I know some people who went out but tbh I was so tired after the lectures I wouldn't have made it that far. The exhibition was crazy when we went in the morning it was so hard to move in there. My dad came up after so I went around with him in the afternoon and it was useful though. Also he saved me from another interesting dinner....:p:
Reply 122
I went to Medlink 2006. I thought it was ok.. some inspirational lectures, some mediocre ones and some not so interesting ones. Went on too late every night though.. plus socials after was too tiring and was dead after travelling all the way back to Portsmouth. I don't think I'll go to Medsim though, what about everyone else?
i went in 2004
i seem to remember that it was boring , badly organised and put me off medicine for life.

looks got on a cv tho
Reply 124
Doesn't look good on a CV - medical admissions do not take it seriously, as it is an indicator of relative wealth and support, not of desire to study medicine...
Reply 125
Going on courses shows that you are at least interested in studying medicine, not necessarily medlink.. there are some cheaper day courses provided by ISCO for example. My friends who either couldn't make medlink or couldn't afford to go went on a day course in St Georges Uni on a similar style.
Reply 126
There are plenty of free courses and summer schools... The RCS does a very good one as part of their annual open day.

However, going to courses doesn't prove anything... sustained voluntary experience does...
If you want to pay money to listen to a schizophrenic actor dancing about on stage, having people endlessly advertising their medical courses in Timbuktoo and you like going around showing off to all your posh toff friends about how you have 15 As at A-level then I highly recommend medlink...

Please don't go on this course... I was a naive 17 year old once and I was told that I needed to go to medlink by my carreers advisor if I wanted to go to medical school... It got so bad after a while - they were even offerring places at Prague uni as "Prizes" when I was there *rollseyes*... I was perhaps the only one thinking that it must be dodgy if that was the way they give out places - but everyone else seemed to flock to this nonsense in desperation... I don't really know what the aim of medlink was - to pay money for such blatant profiteering? It certainly put me off medicine for a while... So don't go children... Medlink, like smoking, is bad for your health...
Reply 128
ya thats cos there was no one feckin out cos everyone was at the medlink university challenge!
I can't believe no one here has gone on a massive rampage about what a waste of money the whole thing is.
I think we have. :p:
Why has someone resurrected this thread??? We all know that Medlink (and Medsim, and even worse, Medisix) sucks, that it's a waste of money, and no admissions tutor cares, so why is it being discussed again?

Btw, I'm pro-Medthing. Went this year and loved it. :smile: Wouldn't encourage anyone else to go though.
Becca-Sarah
Why has someone resurrected this thread??? We all know that Medlink (and Medsim, and even worse, Medisix) sucks, that it's a waste of money, and no admissions tutor cares, so why is it being discussed again?

Btw, I'm pro-Medthing. Went this year and loved it. :smile: Wouldn't encourage anyone else to go though.

Actually we had an admin tutor from birmingham university talking to us about the ucas process, personal statement etc and he did say (was referring to specfically to medics) that if you did go to medlink put it down, anything and everything which shows you have the passion and drive...so unless an admin tutor from an university explicitly says its meaningless then I would have to disagree with you.

I went and I learn't quite a bit and Maybe just having a sentence saying you attended a medlink lecture on X and found it interesting on how everyone works as a team or refer to the video of the live operation etc, it something to talk about and show that you really want to do medicine. but obviously you'd need to have everything else eg work experience, medlink isn't going to guarantee you an offer!!

That's just my view anyway.
Reply 133
There is at least one admissions tutor for whome it is neither a positive or a negative, because it is essentially a product anyone can buy onto their personal statement if they have the money. I'll give you three guesses which school this is....
davidjones90
video of the live operation etc

I've seen operations during my work experience at neurosurgery. Up close and personal and 30cm from someone's brain. You can watch videos of live operations on BBC documentaries. Not really sure what the benefit of that is.
Reply 135
Twaffy
I came back a few days ago. :biggrin: 2 girls got chucked off the course and taken to hospital for drinking
I did really enjoy the course it was amazing but I thought it was going to be more practical and more things about getting in. I loved it all the same though :biggrin:

I remember that! lol Obviously wanted experience of being a patient in hospital!
Reply 136
davidjones90
Actually we had an admin tutor from birmingham university talking to us about the ucas process, personal statement etc and he did say (was referring to specfically to medics) that if you did go to medlink put it down, anything and everything which shows you have the passion and drive...so unless an admin tutor from an university explicitly says its meaningless then I would have to disagree with you.

Totally disagree with this. It show's you have money, not passion. ANyone can go to these courses if they can afford to... Arranging W/E is more difficult and shows real passion ans determination!

I could name at least 5 schools off the top of my head that ignore anything re: pay-to-do tasters, meaning you waste valuable space. If I were interviewing you and your form banged on about MedLink, I would assume you had nothing else worth talking about. Not a good start.
Reply 137
Fluffy
Totally disagree with this. It show's you have money, not passion. ANyone can go to these courses if they can afford to... Arranging W/E is more difficult and shows real passion ans determination!

I agree, having tried to arrange work experience at hospitals. Ten letters, piles of H&S forms and forms before they will consider you, I managed to get 3 days. A lot of hard work for 3 days, but this work experience was priceless and I will be certainly putting this work experience down on my ucas form, even though i'm not applying for medicine anymore!
Reply 138
davidjones90
Actually we had an admin tutor from birmingham university talking to us about the ucas process, personal statement etc and he did say (was referring to specfically to medics) that if you did go to medlink put it down,
what is the name of this admissions tutor (if thats what you mean?)
i'll mail him in the morning to discredit this med-****e you are saying.

not to discredit the good you said of course, you need everyfing else.
Reply 139
oops sorri, bit of date hehe.

Latest

Trending

Trending