The Student Room Group

Is QTS achieved in England recognised in Wales?

If I gain my QTS (via PGCE or TeachFirst) in England, is it also valid in Wales?
Original post by Gales
If I gain my QTS (via PGCE or TeachFirst) in England, is it also valid in Wales?

Pretty much. You do have to apply to have it recognised.

http://www.gtcw.org.uk/gtcw/images/stories/downloads/registration/GTCW_Application_-_EEA_EU-12.pdf
Reply 2

I assume it's pretty much never rejected? If it's approved, are you allowed to teach in Wales straight away?

Also, on a side note, thank you so much! You're so helpful :biggrin:
Original post by Gales
I assume it's pretty much never rejected? If it's approved, are you allowed to teach in Wales straight away?

I would imagine so. We have employed other EU teachers in England and had to employ them as instructors while their applications were being processed. When confirmation of their status came through we backdated the additional pay to their start dates.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
I would imagine so. We have employed other EU teachers in England and had to employ them as instructors while their applications were being processed. When confirmation of their status came through we backdated the additional pay to their start dates.

Okay, that's even more useful. So I can apply for jobs in Wales with just the English QTS and then get full pay when it's confirmed?
Original post by Gales
Okay, that's even more useful. So I can apply for jobs in Wales with just the English QTS and then get full pay when it's confirmed?

I expect so but it would obviously be wise to check with the school at interview before accepting a position.

My advice would be to train in Wales if you want to work in Wales. There are curriculum differences and you will make professional connections during the PGCE that will make it easier to secure a job.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
I expect so but it would obviously be wise to check with the school at interview before accepting a position.

My advice would be to train in Wales if you want to work in Wales. There are curriculum differences and you will make professional connections during the PGCE that will make it easier to secure a job.

Just to update you, I contacted the GTWC and they said that QTS in England is usually recognised in Wales with "some exceptions". Only NI and Scottish are required to apply for recognition :smile:
Original post by Gales
Just to update you, I contacted the GTWC and they said that QTS in England is usually recognised in Wales with "some exceptions". Only NI and Scottish are required to apply for recognition :smile:

Did they say what the exceptions are?
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M
Did they say what the exceptions are?

Just waiting for them to tell me what the exceptions are, will update you :smile:
Original post by Gales

His true name is Mr. Mackernell and he was born to serve the Education and Teaching sub-forum. :tongue:
Original post by Juichiro
His true name is Mr. Mackernell and he was born to serve the Education and Teaching sub-forum. :tongue:

Worryingly I spend more time in F38 Maths.
Reply 11
Original post by Mr M
x

"All teacher training options that lead to qualified teacher status (QTS) in England are also accepted in Wales, with two important exceptions:
- Although overseas trained teachers from Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA can apply to be recognised as qualified teachers in England, they cannot in Wales.
- Likewise, while further education teachers who have been awarded QTLS by the Institute for Learning (IfL) and are members of the IfL are recognised as qualified teachers in schools in England, they are not in Wales."

Those are the exceptions :smile:
Original post by Gales
"All teacher training options that lead to qualified teacher status (QTS) in England are also accepted in Wales, with two important exceptions:
- Although overseas trained teachers from Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA can apply to be recognised as qualified teachers in England, they cannot in Wales.
- Likewise, while further education teachers who have been awarded QTLS by the Institute for Learning (IfL) and are members of the IfL are recognised as qualified teachers in schools in England, they are not in Wales."

Those are the exceptions :smile:

That's interesting. I was aware of the last one. I wasn't sure whether they would accept Teach First but it seems that is ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending