The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Applying for 4 LLB courses AND the BA Anthropology and Law?!

I am currently looking at applying for the BA Anthropology and Law Degree here, and hopefully end up with a qualifying Law degree as well as the knowledge from the Anthropology side, which I think will be a real interest to me.

However, I was wondering how I could incorporate Anthropology into my current personal statement based solely on Law, and if I did include aspects of Anthropology, would it hurt my applications to the other universities?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Bumping this because I want to send application off ASAP xD
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hi!

I am a student here in the department and although I do not do Anthropology and Law I am aware that the re exists a document giving advice about Personal Statement writing for the joint programme. Please email [email protected] with your question and even if they won´t provide you with very specific guidelines they will definitely provide you with sufficient advice.
Reply 3
Original post by Rayzor97
I am currently looking at applying for the BA Anthropology and Law Degree here, and hopefully end up with a qualifying Law degree as well as the knowledge from the Anthropology side, which I think will be a real interest to me.

However, I was wondering how I could incorporate Anthropology into my current personal statement based solely on Law, and if I did include aspects of Anthropology, would it hurt my applications to the other universities?

Thanks!

Hi there,

as anthropology enquiries may only provide you with general advice I would suggest that you should mention anthropology in relation to law in your personal statement if you're going to apply for an anthropology and law course as part of your UCAS app.

Specifically it would be good to talk about law anthropologically - thinking about the role which culture plays in shaping and dictating law around the world (think about people who have dual citizenship and get stuck between two different legal systems, or the culturally variable ways in which disorder in society is dealt with across the world: from modern industrialised countries who rely on centralized authoritative legal systems to smaller scale societies that rely on alternative/different forms of resolving disputes and disorder).

This way you can write about different aspects of the law in interesting ways, appealing to the core of what a law degree is and not missing out on some of the essentials of legal anthropology and what it means to study the law anthropologically. Which is what you will need to do to be taken seriously for any law and anthropology degree, and at the same time it should not discourage any sensible law department from considering your application for a pure Law degree.

*I am currently a third year student studying straight social anthropology, I did a course in legal anthropology in my second year which I LOVED! Here is a link to it http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/courseGuides/AN/2014_AN226.htm

Hope this helps, and best of luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Rayzor97

Thanks!

This is exactly what I'm planning to do this September ( apply for 4 LLBs and the BA ) ; how did your application get on? were you successful? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending