The Student Room Group

Sexy Hand Luggage Question

I was considering posting this in the travel section but I would rather be anonymous for obvious reasons so decided to put it here instead. I am aware that it is an unusual question but a few things need to be clarified for me. Basically, I am wondering if anyone with knowledge of airport security would be able to help with a little issue I have with luggage. I frequently travel short-haul from the UK to various European countries, mainly with my girlfriend. If we wanted to bring some of our toys (namely nipple clamps, bondage tape, rope and possibly a riding crop or whip) with us, would we get away with putting this in our hand luggage or would it have to go in the hold? Additionally, would we get any unwanted attention from security for having it on the flight at all? She wants me to bring our gear on our next break but I'm apprehensive about getting into trouble. Additionally, we normally travel with a certain budget airline that is far cheaper if you can stow all of your stuff in the overhead compartments, so it would be costly for me to have to pack all of this away in the hold.
You won't get into trouble for having these items, its not as if they're illegal... but do bear in mind, if you put them in hand luggage, security checks are random so it might be a bit embarrasing if you're checked.

Be sure that you remove the batteries of anything vibrating. We've all heard the stories of people being checked because they thought a vibrator that had gone off was a bomb. I don't know how true these stories are but better safe than sorry
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not particularly concerned about them seeing the items as I can just about handle the embarrassment of explaining myself (and my girlfriend will back me up, of course) but I'm more worried that it will look as though I have some sinister motives - although admittedly, I'm not sure quite how nipple clamps or bondage rope could be used to do damage to an aircraft. Can anybody tell me definitely whether or not they are going to be allowed on the plane?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not particularly concerned about them seeing the items as I can just about handle the embarrassment of explaining myself (and my girlfriend will back me up, of course) but I'm more worried that it will look as though I have some sinister motives - although admittedly, I'm not sure quite how nipple clamps or bondage rope could be used to do damage to an aircraft. Can anybody tell me definitely whether or not they are going to be allowed on the plane?

I've got some experience with the Rapiscan Xray machines they use at airports. I can guarantee that they will see what you've got in your bag on the screen. & if they think something is suspicious they'll search your bag when it comes out the machine.
I'm not sure clamps would get through. Probably not rope either. The tape probably would.
The thing to remember is that anything that could be used to kill/injure a member of the cabin crew or another passenger isn't going to be allowed in a cabin bag.
One final point: seeing as there was that plot to use a phone battery as a bomb, anything electronic must be able to be turned on. So a vibrating dildo would have to be checked (I'd love to see someone's face if something like that got pulled out of a bag.)
Rope and a crop could be seen as something sinister.
Reply 5
Original post by Tempest II
I've got some experience with the Rapiscan Xray machines they use at airports. I can guarantee that they will see what you've got in your bag on the screen. & if they think something is suspicious they'll search your bag when it comes out the machine.
I'm not sure clamps would get through. Probably not rope either. The tape probably would.
The thing to remember is that anything that could be used to kill/injure a member of the cabin crew or another passenger isn't going to be allowed in a cabin bag.
One final point: seeing as there was that plot to use a phone battery as a bomb, anything electronic must be able to be turned on. So a vibrating dildo would have to be checked (I'd love to see someone's face if something like that got pulled out of a bag.)

I can't breathe. That would be the funniest thing ever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'd say don't take anything battery powered, incase it has to be "checked" that it works. You're also not allowed any lithium batteries outside the items they're for, so depending what batteries it takes....just safer not to!
Maybe ring the airline and ask about it, obviously withholding your number if you're really nervous about it!
Or take things that are "safe" for the cabin crew, and just locate a shop to get some cheap bits out there. Most European countries have it more accessible, and you can pick up those kind of things quite cheap, they just won't be as nice as the ones you're used to.
So a vibrating dildo would have to be checked (I'd love to see someone's face if something like that got pulled out of a bag.)
Agree with everything you said. The items listed by the OP would need to go in the hold or there is the almost certainty that they will not be allowed in the cabin and have to be left at the security gate.

On a humorous note, in the past (before 9/11), I frequently went abroad for the company I worked with on international projects.

On one trip, four engineers including myself, plotted against a fifth colleague and we planted a vibrator (a rather large pink phalous shaped one with veins) in his briefcase which he had not locked and had left with us in the cafe as he visited the loos.

At the security gate he was asked to reclaim his briefcase upon which he was asked the usual questions like 'is this your case sir?'and did you pack this yourself'?' etc.

Then he was asked to open it and his face was priceless as he literaly did a double take because he could not believe what he was looking at! The security officer then asked him to turn it on. By this time, several other people around him were looking intently curious and not a little bemused.

We had also set the thing to maximum speed which was very audible and as more people turned to look, the security officer called over a colleague for a second opinion. Obviously intent on getting the maximum mileage out of the incident!

Poor old A***s (name witheld) was so flustered and stuttering, I have never seen someone so embarrassed and purple in the face.

After all that, the first security officer said 'thank you,' and the second added 'have a nice evening!' and they both could hardly stiffle their laughter.

I have never laughed so much that my sides hurt since that event. A***s never lived the incident down.

(Absolutey true story)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
I am still giggling to myself after reading this.

My partner and I rock climb a lot, but have on separate occasions been told that we were not allowed rope in our hand luggage. I don't know about your other objects, but rope is usually a no no.
Original post by uberteknik
Agree with everything you said. The items listed by the OP would need to go in the hold or there is the almost certainty that they will not be allowed in the cabin and have to be left at the security gate.

On a humorous note, in the past (before 9/11), I frequently went abroad for the company I worked with on international projects.

On one trip, four engineers including myself, plotted against a fifth colleague and we planted a vibrator (a rather large pink phalous shaped one with veins) in his briefcase which he had not locked and had left with us in the cafe as he visited the loos.

At the security gate he was asked to reclaim his briefcase upon which he was asked the usual questions like 'is this your case sir?'and did you pack this yourself'?' etc.

Then he was asked to open it and his face was priceless as he literaly did a double take because he could not believe what he was looking at! The security officer then asked him to turn it on. By this time, several other people around him were looking intently curious and not a little bemused.

We had also set the thing to maximum speed which was very audible and as more people turned to look, the security officer called over a colleague for a second opinion. Obviously intent on getting the maximum mileage out of the incident!

Poor old A***s (name witheld) was so flustered and stuttering, I have never seen someone so embarrassed and purple in the face.

After all that, the first security officer said 'thank you,' and the second added 'have a nice evening!' and they both could hardly stiffle their laughter.

I have never laughed so much that my sides hurt since that event. A***s never lived the incident down.

(Absolutey true story)

absolutely hilarious!

I used to work at an airport, and have a couple of funny security stories:

First, a female colleague was getting married, and she bought a pair of rubber breast-enhancers from a shop before security. As we were going through the staff-lane security checkpoint, I whispered to a security guy to check the woman's bag, which he did, and immediately pulled out the enhancers! :biggrin:

Second story is a bit more serious, I was going through (on my own this time), and had a random bag search, and at the bottom of my bag was a chopping knife that I'd forgotten all about - I'd taken that bag with me every day since I started the job, which was about 6 months, and it wasn't discovered until then!
Thanks for your posts everyone. Given that rock climbing equipment can cause problems and I wouldn't be surprised if the security people perceived some of our gear as capable of injuring someone on the plane, I'm not going to risk it and I will pay to put it in the hold.

(Absolutey true story)

PRSOM.
I've always thought something like that would be an amazing prank.
I was deployed to the Olympics & got to use the Xray machines there. I've got a few funny stories but nothing including any sex toys. We did have a woman try to get through a chopping knife at one point. I did a double take when I saw it appear on the screen :-P.
Reply 12

(Absolutey true story)

Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha that is the funniest thing I've ever seen/heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tulisa (of N-Dubz & X Factor fame) had a dildo start vibrating in her luggage whilst going through security at an airport. Not sure what happened after that though.
Reply 14
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Tulisa (of N-Dubz & X Factor fame) had a dildo start vibrating in her luggage whilst going through security at an airport. Not sure what happened after that though.

Oh OK. Why am I not surprised?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just FYI you're not allowed to put handcuffs in your carry on.
Original post by SophieSmall
Just FYI you're not allowed to put handcuffs in your carry on.

Do you know this from previous experience? ;-)
Do you know this from previous experience? ;-)

No comment :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending