The Student Room Group

I'm looking to apply to Harrow, but not sure if I'm eligible

I would like to apply for Harrow School, but I'm not the best academically, I don't have an A* in every subject. I gained a C in Maths in year 9 and I am now working as the best in my class, I keep getting told I can get an A*. I also achieved a B in Science Core last year. However, my Working at Grades don't show that I'm too good.
Here they are:
English - C
Mathematics - B
Science - B Core
Computer Science - A*
History - C
Music - C
PE - Distinction
Photography - B

It's odd because in maths, I can do A grade questions very easily, in Science I find it easy in class, but in exams I fail. In English, I got a high B in my exam, but it says C. I don't know if they'll accept me. I'm very talented in Computer science, but they don't even offer this as a subject.
I don't mean to be discouraging but If those grades are reflected in your entry test performance you will not get in.
You need to sort out why you can't translate your classroom understanding into a good exam result.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I applied to Harrow with all A* target grades, got to the interview stage but fell short of an academic scholarship. The promising thing is that they're not just looking for academics, there looking for people with potential for later in life. You'd have to convey you're a well-rounded person (your PE could help you with this by showing them you take part in sports, perhaps competitively?) which would show them how much you'd want to do at the school.

I started yr 10 with all A grades but have managed to raise them by showing my teachers I'm a hard-working student, and performing well in mocks. You need to do the same in order to stand a chance in the application process, by working to raise your grades to at least A, preferably with a several A*s (you could ask your teachers to raise them just for your application but this still wouldn't clear you on Harrow's entrance exams). If anything, they'd be impressed by how some of your targets have raised by 2/3 grades, which would show your rapid development as a student that would carry on at their school.

This is possible, but requires you to really excel in the classroom from this point in time to when you'd be applying. My experience in the application has been very positive and has also been useful in other ways - I would recommend after boosting your grades over the next year or so you don't hesitate in filling in the application form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending