The Student Room Group

If you do badly in first year of uni

Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Say for example, if your first year weighs 10% of your final degree, and you do badly, can you resit?

If you don't fail, you can't resit. That's not how uni works.

Edit: And if you do fail, resits are generally capped at the pass mark (40% for most stuff on most degrees, no idea about Medicine), unless there are extenuating circumstances that speak for you being able to sit as if it were a first attempt.
(edited 9 years ago)
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Okay, thanks.
So you can only resit if you fail right? and do you get a grade in the end of every year or a percentage?

See my edit.

And I don't recall ever getting an overall mark of any kind (for languages). I got a percentage back for each exam or essay (sometimes a 20 credit unit was based on just one of the two, sometimes it was based on two of one, or a mixture). The only time I ever found out how I did overall in a year (without working it out myself, which isn't hard) was when I got a letter from the Dean, which meant that I must have got a First overall that year.

As far as I am aware, though, none of this is particularly relevant to Medicine.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
so you get given first, second and third after each year, and then they total your percentage to give you your final degree?
Do you think its difficult to get a first?
Sorry about all the questions, just trying to make sense of it all.

I didn't get given anything after each year. I had all my marks from the different units, so could work it out myself.

They use your marks for each year, according to the relevant weighting (differs from course to course and uni to uni) and you get a classification based on the result of that calculation.

I would say the difficulty of getting a First depends entirely on the degree, the uni and your own ability (whether that's when you start, or how well you step up during the course). I would likely have got a First if I'd finished my degree. But it wouldn't have been easy. You won't know how likely it is until you've been getting some results back on your course.

Again, this is almost entirely irrelevant to Medicine.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending