The Student Room Group

I feel like I won't get hired

I'm a second year Chemical Engineering student and I'm starting to think about getting a job after Uni. I've just written a draft CV to see where I am heading and I've just realised that my CV looks really poor. I have no relevant work experience(It's hard to get any), no employment in the past, no interests which may be appealing to the employer(Unless video games are).
I'm also currently struggling with my degree and am finding it difficult to get the results I want in my exams.

I don't want to finish this degree and end up underemployed or even unemployed. Do most people with merits similar to mine end up in this situation?
You really need experience. I'm guessing since you haven't had work so far you don't need to work for money at the moment? This is a good thing as there are far more good work experience opportunities that are unpaid. You definitely need to look at doing an internship this summer (most internships are during second year summer). You might struggle to get on one due to lack of experience so what I would do is get down to your university volunteering unit or volunteering websites such as Do It and get signed up to something as soon as possible! Then you'll have something to put down on your applications to internships. I'd say with some good volunteering and a solid internship behind you, you'll be in a 10x better position come next summer.

It's worth noting also that yes, stuff like volunteering and internships are good for getting you a job, but they're also good at helping you work out what you'd like to do! So it's for your own benefit as well rather than being something you 'have' to do to be employable.
Reply 2
Original post by moutonfou
You really need experience. I'm guessing since you haven't had work so far you don't need to work for money at the moment? This is a good thing as there are far more good work experience opportunities that are unpaid. You definitely need to look at doing an internship this summer (most internships are during second year summer). You might struggle to get on one due to lack of experience so what I would do is get down to your university volunteering unit or volunteering websites such as Do It and get signed up to something as soon as possible! Then you'll have something to put down on your applications to internships. I'd say with some good volunteering and a solid internship behind you, you'll be in a 10x better position come next summer.

It's worth noting also that yes, stuff like volunteering and internships are good for getting you a job, but they're also good at helping you work out what you'd like to do! So it's for your own benefit as well rather than being something you 'have' to do to be employable.

Yes, that's why I didn't try for employment and because I'm lazy.
I am currently doing volunteering for a society at University. I am also looking into volunteering for charity, but have not decided which one to do it at.
I also have no idea how to apply for internships. I really want to get one this summer otherwise my summer will be so boring. Do I do it through University or directly to these companies?
Original post by zarif3
Yes, that's why I didn't try for employment and because I'm lazy.
I am currently doing volunteering for a society at University. I am also looking into volunteering for charity, but have not decided which one to do it at.
I also have no idea how to apply for internships. I really want to get one this summer otherwise my summer will be so boring. Do I do it through University or directly to these companies?

Start with a site like Milkround. They'll have some suggestions. You can also look at the Times Top 100 Graduate Employers list and go to their graduate sites and see if they offer an internship scheme (most do). Some schemes are limited to certain groups of people for example some schemes are only open to those from minority groups or those with disabilities etc, with the idea that if people enjoy the internship they then might then be encouraged to apply for the grad scheme when they graduate. You usually apply directly to each company via their website. If you're not sure how to approach the application forms, interviews, or any other aspect your university careers service will be able to give you advice.
Reply 4
Original post by moutonfou
Start with a site like Milkround. They'll have some suggestions. You can also look at the Times Top 100 Graduate Employers list and go to their graduate sites and see if they offer an internship scheme (most do). Some schemes are limited to certain groups of people for example some schemes are only open to those from minority groups or those with disabilities etc, with the idea that if people enjoy the internship they then might then be encouraged to apply for the grad scheme when they graduate. You usually apply directly to each company via their website. If you're not sure how to approach the application forms, interviews, or any other aspect your university careers service will be able to give you advice.

Thank you. I will start looking soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending