The Student Room Group

Do medical schools know if one is a reapplicant?

Do medical schools know if one is reapplicant?

First of all, would they know if I re-applied to the same university without me explicitly stating it?

Second, would they know if I was a re-applicant (in general) for other universities of which I previously did not re-apply?

Third (probably the most important), would re-applying give me any advantage in final decisions - in terms of motivation of not changing careers, achieved grades, persistence or even some sympathy of being rejected by all 4 in one cycle previously?
Reply 1
UCAS doesn't tell them, if that's what you're asking. They would see that you're applying a year later than usual obviously, but they won't know for sure if you're a reapplicant or just took a gap year. If you're applying to some of the same places as last time there is a chance the admissions tutors will remember you, especially if they interview you a second time.

As for any advantage, I don't think there is any just for being a re-app. I applied last year for Vet Med and asked those questions just in case (now applying for different course anyway) and opinions varied. Bristol told me that they quite often admit people they rejected first time round if they have got more experience and are more mature. Whereas Cambridge (who only really care about the academics tbh) said 'Well, if we don't want you one year, what makes you think we'll want you the next year?'.

So it depends on the individual unis. But that only really applies to unis you applied to last time, the others won't know.
Hi,
if you're applying to medicine as a re-applicant you're at a massive disadvantage normally (but it sort of depends on your circumstances.) I know because I'm a re-applicant to- there's a whole thread of us if you search for resit medicine applicants 2015. Are you resitting your A-levels, or do you already have them and just didn't get any offers?
Only a few uni's will take you if you're resitting A-levels, although more will if you have exceptional mitigating circumstances. Some uni's will consider you depending on your grades first time around. This is what I've found..
Lancaster- CCC first time, then no discrimination
Liverpool- ^^ same as above
Exeter- don't look at it
UEA- requires A*AA third time
Keele- AAB first time around (I think)
Cardiff-with evidence of mitigating circumstances
Edinburgh- ^^same as above

Obviously, all this is subject to change
feel free to PM me if you have any more questions

Original post by solarplexus
Do medical schools know if one is reapplicant?

First of all, would they know if I re-applied to the same university without me explicitly stating it?

Second, would they know if I was a re-applicant (in general) for other universities of which I previously did not re-apply?

Third (probably the most important), would re-applying give me any advantage in final decisions - in terms of motivation of not changing careers, achieved grades, persistence or even some sympathy of being rejected by all 4 in one cycle previously?
Original post by abbiemac
Hi,
if you're applying to medicine as a re-applicant you're at a massive disadvantage normally (but it sort of depends on your circumstances.) I know because I'm a re-applicant to- there's a whole thread of us if you search for resit medicine applicants 2015. Are you resitting your A-levels, or do you already have them and just didn't get any offers?
Only a few uni's will take you if you're resitting A-levels, although more will if you have exceptional mitigating circumstances. Some uni's will consider you depending on your grades first time around. This is what I've found..
Lancaster- CCC first time, then no discrimination
Liverpool- ^^ same as above
Exeter- don't look at it
UEA- requires A*AA third time
Keele- AAB first time around (I think)
Cardiff-with evidence of mitigating circumstances
Edinburgh- ^^same as above

Obviously, all this is subject to change
feel free to PM me if you have any more questions

I achieved A*A*A* in one sitting luckily enough, but I did not have any offers (except UCL biochemical engineering which I reluctantly declined). So I'm not a resit applicant.

So you're saying that re-applicants are a massive disadvantage normally - you sure about that??????
I achieved A*A*A* in one sitting luckily enough, but I did not have any offers (except UCL biochemical engineering which I reluctantly declined). So I'm not a resit applicant.

So you're saying that re-applicants are a massive disadvantage normally - you sure about that??????

If you're not resitting A-levels then no you won't be at a disadvantage, as long as you've got all the work experience then you'll be fine.
Original post by abbiemac
If you're not resitting A-levels then no you won't be at a disadvantage, as long as you've got all the work experience then you'll be fine.

Ok (I thought so), but my question is: is there any advantage of achieved grades, persistence, sympathy of being rejected etc?
Reply 6
Ok (I thought so), but my question is: is there any advantage of achieved grades, persistence, sympathy of being rejected etc?

Depends really; at MMIs, the interviewers will not know whether you are a first time or second time applicant unless they have access to your PS (which they most likely will not have access to). At panel interviews, they will know that you are a gap year applicant but the interviewers will not give you any "extra points" for being one. At the interview, you could talk about the fact that you were rejected last year and have since improved by doing "this and that". Stating how you have improved (e.g. getting more experience) and presenting yourself as a more mature person will put you at an advantage.

The interviewers may feel sympathetic towards you, but they will not show it / admit it. It's the same as saying "would having a good personality give me an advantage?" - it depends on the interviewer.
A lot of medical schools have a policy on re-applicants (Nottingham won't consider re-applicants who previously made it to interview) so they must know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending