The Student Room Group

Should I mention that I was bullied in my personal statement? HELP!!!

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Really, really, not.
Why waste your word count whinging about a dick bully when you can describe your short time in the army, and explain how you realised it wasn't for you and made you realise what you really wanna do?
That would be put in your reference rather than your PS. Your PS is all about bigging yourself up whereas the reference is an outside view on the situation.
Reply 4
I really wouldn't recommend putting it in your personal statement. Focus more on what you've accomplished rather than why you were hindered.

If it needs explaining, just mention you left due to personal dilemmas at the time but decided to return to education.

At least, that's my two cents.
Personal statement is not an X Factor sob story. So definitely not.
The person reading your PS may be a softy..and it may work

but no, dont.
No.
Reply 8
Most people got bullied at school to some degree. Its not an excuse, it will make you look weak.
"I failed because someone bullied me"
You don't want to look like you're asking for a "sympathy offer" :rolleyes:
Reply 10
No... just no
You could comment on how you have changed as a person maybe, with triumphs over personal obstacles to be where you are now, maybe. I wouldn't make specific reference to bullying though (?).
you think they'll dig that, dude? that's like putting in "my pets all got run over when I was a child"
My son had a bad time with his first try at uni, so tried again with Solent. They seem to be ready to give students a second chance and they even gave him an offer although his personal statement didn't fit the course (he said he would do an updated one but they accepted him before he did it). Also be sure to contact Access if you get in - they are there to help students with problems.
Original post by Ollie231213
You don't want to look like you're asking for a "sympathy offer" :rolleyes:

You wouldn't say that about minorities getting an advantage at most institutions.
I don't want to give a sob story, I just don't want them to think that I couldn't be assed. Anyway that's why I asked, thanks.
Popped this in Personal Statement Advice :h:
##
(edited 9 years ago)
So sorry you had to go through that ! I can't imagine how it must have felt for you !

On a realistic note, your'e trying to sell yourself on the PS so I'd advice against mentioning it.
Original post by SocialSmocial94
Okay, so when I was in school I was bullied by some *******. I was 13 and he was like 18 and he lived close to my house and school. I was assaulted multiple times over a 3 year period not including being chased with knifes and bricks.

Anyway, it less than motivated me to do well in school and a long story short I left school without GCSE's (3 F's).

I left school and joined the Army however I left during training as it was not for me.

Since starting college in 2011, I've gained two Distinction Stars and one Distinction. Only one is at level 3 though and I'm hopefully going to get another D* for my current college year.

I should of picked the two year course as I would of got 3 A levels but wasn't sure whether to go uni because of financial reasons so I picked a one year subsidiary which is equivalent to one A level.

I decided that I do want to go to uni and so I've paid for a second year subsidiary meaning I've done the same amount of time as a two year course receiving 3 A levels but I'm receiving two instead, plus I paid for it.

I want to study sports science I'm a qualified fitness instructor and employed and I'm also studying a personal training and nutrition course along side with my main BTEC course. I have also gained an A-C equivalent in English and am retaking English GCSE and completing a A-C equivalent in Math's.

I've came a long way I just want to know is it a bad idea to tell them that I was bullied? Otherwise why else did I do so bad during my secondary education?

I'm applying to Solent University for Applied Sports Science and I'm 20 years old.

Any help appreciated! Thanks guys :smile:

This could be something that your referee notes down in their reference but not you :smile:

Good luck with your application, fingers crossed for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending