The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Anyone else applying at DMU for the game art course? Sept 2015

Hey just wondering who's applying or if anyone has done the interview and has any tips?
Or to just discuss the course and make new friends!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by halex
Hey just wondering who's applying or if anyone has done the interview and has any tips?

Hi! :biggrin:
Yes, I have applied to De Montfort Game Art but I haven't heard back from them yet. I currently live in Hungary, so they did not invite me to an interview (though the option was given to me), but instead they asked for an eportfolio.

If a Game Art Design student reads this, I would love to know what Game Art students think of the course? Is De Montfort as awesome as I heard? Do you need to use maths on a daily basis? The course modules on the website aren't detailed at all, and I am wondering what "Critical Studies" could possibly be and what "Game Production" entails?
Thanks so much. :smile:
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
i looking into joining this course a friend of mine also interested in the course found and sent me this hopefully its of use. :smile: http://www.dmu.ac.uk/documents/art-design-and-humanities-documents/portfolio-advice/portfolio-game-art-design-20121217.pdf
Reply 3
Hello!

I'm an international student as well (EU) and I've been looking at the Game art course at De Montfort as well!
The rest of the courses I'll be applying to through UCAS are for illustration. But my personal statement is broad enough to apply for this course as well... I REALLY like the course at De Montfort! I want to get into the industry eventually, preferably as a concept artists. Do you guys think that the course prepares people for the industry well? I should apply for it or should I stick to illustration instead?
Reply 4
Hey guys, I'm a current 1st year on the course & would be happy to answer any questions you have

Visual Design - In these classes we've learnt to draw from perspective, use tone, digital paint, concepting with silhouettes and photobashing, colour theory and various design techniques. We have life drawing, digital painting and drawing outside sessions every week(the outside drawing sessions can be in your own time, we tend not to do it in the rain). The life drawing lessons are very beneficial to learn and understand the human anatomy. The digital painting sessions range from photoshop tutorials to colour theory and design theory. The outdoor sessions we've had have been in various locations across Leicester including the guild hall museum, bradgate park, the canal and an archway. There's some great places around Leicester to gain inspiration from. In one week we usually do 20 thumbnail sketches and a final piece.

Game Production - These are the classes for 3D modelling with the program 3DSMax. Some of the upper years use both 3DSMax and ZBrush, but we start from the very basics with 3DSMax. They give us video tutorial files, written tutorials and live lessons in the computer labs. The tutors are always happy to help if you're stuggling with the program at the beginning. There's also upper years that are very helpful. I've had 2nd years and 3rd years teaching me how to do various things in the program.
The process includes research>concepting ideas>refining & developing concepts>choose concept>various colour concepts for chosen idea>final concept>3D modelling & texturing>putting your new asset into game engine(UE4). We use Photoshop for concepting but there is also the option of doing the first designs traditionally.

Critical Studies - This is the written based side of our course. It is very beneficial and allows us to improve greatly. We do weekly blog posts on our progression and development & write about how to improve. Don't let this put you off the course because it isn't a lot of writing. And it really makes a big difference to your progression as well as show the tutors how you are doing. Also in the 2nd-3rd year your blog will be looked at by potential employers, at which point I'm sure you'd like your blog to be informative and at a high standard. :wink:
I think there are 2 written pieces aside from out blogposts in the first year. One is likely to be on game art history, I'm not sure about the other.
There are also sessions to improve our teamwork since there are team projects and the industry is all team-based working.

There's also a guru/grasshopper system where you'll be assigned to a number of 3rd years that will help you learn anything you need to know & they set fun weekly side projects for you. I've become really good friends with mine and have learnt a ton from them. The course is challanging, but really beneficial if you want to be a part of the industry. I would say it's the best course in the UK.

If you want to be a concept artist then you have to work really really hard in your own time no matter what course you choose to be on. Usually concept artists climb through the ranks in the industry, so I'd advise learning all the essentials for a game artist before going straight for that

For interviews they love traditional work (AVOID anime style at all costs). If you've done 3D modelling before then chuck some of that in your portfolio as well. What they really want to see is work done using a range of different materials(pencil ranges, pen, ink, paint). Draw from life, try to do a number of drawings a day from now up to the day of your interview and let them see that you are determined. It'll improve your skills a lot. Study people and landscapes, try to focus on tone and form & a bit of colour to make your sketch book a little more interesting.

Try to learn about the art masters if you haven't already. I don't know many but here's a few from the top of my head;
Herbert Draper
JW Waterhouse
William Adolphe Bouguereau
Caravaggio

They did ask me what artists I liked during my interview.

It's good to know artists in the industry too;
Feng Zhu
James Paick
David Levy
Noah Bradley
Marek Okon
Maciej Kuciara
Alex Negrea
Arnaud Pheu
Michal Kus
Espen Olsen Sætervik
Level Up! (Wojtek Fus, Jonas De Ro, Darek Zabrocki)

As for Leicester; I really love it here, and all the people on the course are amazing & the tutors are understanding and supportive. Everyone pushes you to succeed. There's some good places for food and a good shopping center & some cinemas and stuff. The canal & the swans complete it as a location :P

Anyways if you have any questions just reply to this and I'll try remember to The Student Room often ^^ or if you want you can drop me a message on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/LilyYuriDunn
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey Lily :biggrin: thanks for offering to answer questions, I have a few!

- Roughly how many students are international? (curious about the diversity :P )
- Do game art students mingle with students from other courses? Maybe overlapping modules or lessons?
- If there is a computer lab or place where you can work in your spare time (and if there is, how late does it stay open for? :biggrin: )
Reply 6
Original post by coffeecakey
Hey Lily :biggrin: thanks for offering to answer questions, I have a few!

- Roughly how many students are international? (curious about the diversity :P )
- Do game art students mingle with students from other courses? Maybe overlapping modules or lessons?
- If there is a computer lab or place where you can work in your spare time (and if there is, how late does it stay open for? :biggrin: )

I think about 10-15% of my year are international students, and there's around 90-100 students in total in year 1.

We don't mingle lessons with other subjects, but we do mix during social events sometimes. Some Animation students come to our Friday night hangouts :smile:
Animation does do some similar work to us, but we are seperated. Also they use Maya where as we use 3DSMax.

There's a number of labs in the building for us game art students. We have 2 labs downstairs and one upstairs. There's also a 2nd year lab and 3rd year lab. Plenty of space for everyone. They're open from 9am-9pm on week days :smile:
There's also a cintiq lab that we have permission to use when there's space free, but first years can be asked to leave if an upper year needs to use one. And those are 24HD Cintiqs.
The computers are all new and powerful, they have no trouble running the software we use.. We've also had a few gaming nights in the labs since Steam is installed on all of them :wink: those are fun.
Reply 7
Original post by coffeecakey
Thanks Lily :biggrin: sounds awesome.

(how do upper years know who are first years?? haha) I guess people just recognise faces :smile:

Yeah we get to know eachother, after a while it becomes obvious who's in what year :smile:
It's probably easier for first years to tell who's in what year though.. The 3rd years are often busy and don't really go in our labs since theirs are better. ^^
Reply 8
Lily, thank you very much for the thorough and detailed reply!

If I may ask, how is the student accommodation over there? Also, can you stay for more than the first year or do you have to move out? And if so, are there decent homes in the vicinity? Thank you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by AVGA17
Lily, thank you very much for the thorough and detailed reply!

If I may ask, how is the student accommodation over there? Also, can you stay for more than the first year or do you have to move out? And if so, are there decent homes in the vicinity? Thank you :smile:

You're welcome! ^^ People answered questions for me last year so I thought I'd check back here again this year to sort of carry on the tradition :P

I'm currently staying in Newarke Point halls of residence which are pretty good. It's one of the more expensive accommodations and has ensuite. I'm sharing a kitchen with 4 other people. It costs me £118 a week I think, and to wash and dry clothes it costs about £5.
I've heard that Victoria Halls is a good place to live, I'm not sure how much it is but you can probably find out through DMU's website :smile:

One thing I will note though is that the CODE accommodation isn't linked with the university. In fact they bound me in a contract recently which I couldn't undo. They hide the fact that you have to pay £1.5k early in the summer before your student finance comes through. Apparently it's quite common for that to happen with student housing too..
I would stick with whatever DMU recommends :smile: Just look out for scams and really read the terms and regulations like I SHOULD HAVE.

& you book a room for one year, but you get first chance to book again for the year after. That also gives you a change to get friends to live in the same flat as you :smile:

As for housing.. Well most of the houses I think have been booked already since 2nd and 3rd years usually go for them.
Hey guys, current second year here.

Good luck with all your interviews and portfolios; it's nerve racking but fingers crossed, you should get in!
If you want I can take a look at some of your portfolios and try and help you on what would please the tutors, but the main pointers are:
No anime, no fanart, *go for realism*!.
I'll be helping out the uni during open days so I might see some of you if you come to check out the facilities.

I stayed in Victoria Halls in the first year, and highly recommend it for a simple, value for money place. It's cheap, ensuite, and great location.
Reply 11
Original post by Imamomobird
Hey guys, current second year here.

Good luck with all your interviews and portfolios; it's nerve racking but fingers crossed, you should get in!
If you want I can take a look at some of your portfolios and try and help you on what would please the tutors, but the main pointers are:
No anime, no fanart, *go for realism*!.
I'll be helping out the uni during open days so I might see some of you if you come to check out the facilities.

I stayed in Victoria Halls in the first year, and highly recommend it for a simple, value for money place. It's cheap, ensuite, and great location.

Sent you a message! Thanks a lot for offering to help :smile:
You seem to be on the right track :smile:

Sent you a quick critique on your profile. Just keep doing what you're doing, and maybe some more landscapes/drawings from life.
Original post by halex

yeah i have also applied for the game art design course 2015 and i cant wait :biggrin: i have my interview on the 21st of January , does anyone have any good tips? :smile:
Am I right in thinking we have to prepare a presentation for our interviews?
Reply 15
Original post by tabitha_02
Am I right in thinking we have to prepare a presentation for our interviews?

I just asked a 3rd year about it. Yeah, you have to prepare presentations.. 'Guess it's different from the past years.
I'm sure they'll email you regarding the information. Or you could email tech admissions, I think the email is on the DMU website.

good luck, all!
Oh god haha, thank you :-)
MehRandom:

> Be positive, don't be shy about your work. Push your good pieces, and don't undersell yourself
> Lots of drawings from life, no anime and cartoons (unless you can draw amazing realistic, and are just showing a few to showcase stylisation skills)
> Be happy and friendly. Show you're motivated!
Original post by ncbiro
Hi! :biggrin:
Yes, I have applied to De Montfort Game Art but I haven't heard back from them yet. I currently live in Hungary, so they did not invite me to an interview (though the option was given to me), but instead they asked for an eportfolio.

If a Game Art Design student reads this, I would love to know what Game Art students think of the course? Is De Montfort as awesome as I heard? Do you need to use maths on a daily basis? The course modules on the website aren't detailed at all, and I am wondering what "Critical Studies" could possibly be and what "Game Production" entails?
Thanks so much. :smile:

Hey there fellow Hungarian, and all of you kind people! I wish to join myself, let's shoulder each other's burdens, shall we? :biggrin:
Uh, now that I read all comments through (exceptionally cheerful and helping comments btw:smile:) I'm starting to feel immensely lost and one without any experience... My art is decent, I dare hope it's decent enough to not get my face red all over because I have 1 anime sketch in my collection -__-'
And what exactly do you mean by fanart for example? As I could not resist to include a heavily detailed (albeit rather small) drawing of a nanosuit's mask... I'm really nervous about my portfolio. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending