The Student Room Group

Further Maths GCSE

Hey!
In my school they've started a thing this year (It only began this week) where a few students can go after school once a week for a lesson on Further Maths, so that we can do the Further Maths GCSE in June with our other GCSEs, as an extra qualification.

Is anyone else here doing Further Maths? Are you doing it as part of the curriculum or in your own time?
Reply 1
Hi
I did Further Maths at the same time as my GCSEs and had my exams in the summer of 2014. I got an A^ (A* with distinction) which was a nice surprise.
I would definitely recommend it if you enjoy GCSE Maths and would like to study Maths at AS Level. Almost all of Core 1 at AS level contains the same content as Further Maths.
If you have any questions, feel free to message me!

:smile:
is this the FSMQ you did ?
Yeah I've started this week too. It looks pretty solid though. Saying that, haven't attempted the past paper yet.
Reply 4
I did the Level 2 Further Maths Qualification
He's probably talking about additional maths gcse, it's hard good luck. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by BEARichards
Hey!
In my school they've started a thing this year (It only began this week) where a few students can go after school once a week for a lesson on Further Maths, so that we can do the Further Maths GCSE in June with our other GCSEs, as an extra qualification.

Is anyone else here doing Further Maths? Are you doing it as part of the curriculum or in your own time?

I sat my maths GCSE a year early, so this year my class is doing the further maths GCSE whilst the other classes have their normal maths lessons. I think you should definitely do it, as any extra GCSE's/ qualifications to add to your CV will always help you in the future :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abbie00
I sat my maths GCSE a year early, so this year my class is doing the further maths GCSE whilst the other classes have their normal maths lessons. I think you should definitely do it, as any extra GCSE's/ qualifications to add to your CV will always help you in the future :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did u get A* in gcse maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!

A couple of years back my people in my sisters year got asked to do this. I know my sister was upset as she wanted to do Maths at A Level but her maths teacher never really liked her. In the end she got an A* in Maths, and nearly everyone who got chosen only got a C in Further Maths GCSE, and B in Maths as it took too much focus off their main Maths course (not to mention other subjects). My sister also went on to do Maths A Level and got an A. I got given the option of doing it this year also, I declined on this basis and on how stressed out about other subjects and Maths isn't really something I want to pursue. One of my friends also decided to do the same as she was finding it too hard and wanted to focus on other subjects even though she is taking Maths A- Level. I know people who are doing it and enjoying it, so I think it depends on who you are as a person and how confident you are in maths.
Original post by The_Philosopher
A couple of years back my people in my sisters year got asked to do this. I know my sister was upset as she wanted to do Maths at A Level but her maths teacher never really liked her. In the end she got an A* in Maths, and nearly everyone who got chosen only got a C in Further Maths GCSE, and B in Maths as it took too much focus off their main Maths course (not to mention other subjects). My sister also went on to do Maths A Level and got an A. I got given the option of doing it this year also, I declined on this basis and on how stressed out about other subjects and Maths isn't really something I want to pursue. One of my friends also decided to do the same as she was finding it too hard and wanted to focus on other subjects even though she is taking Maths A- Level. I know people who are doing it and enjoying it, so I think it depends on who you are as a person and how confident you are in maths.

I absolutely agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hey!

In my school, we started maths a year early, meaning I'd finished all 3 exams by the end of year 10. I still got an A*, and then we were given further maths to do as an extra qualification in year 11, in which I managed a B. The grade boundaries are very low (I think it was about 50% for an A, don't quote me) and the work done really helps if you're planning on doing maths/further maths for AS and A2. I'd recommend taking it if maths is something you want to continue, though if you're not planning on doing maths/further maths/physics for A levels then I'd give it some though, for instance if you reckon you can handle the extra revision or not
Reply 11
I started doing further maths at the start of this year in lesson time cos I finished my GCSE last year. It's a bit harder than GCSE, but the papers you do for it are almost exactly the same as core 1 and core 2 at A level. My brother started A level maths this year and so far he's found it really easy, hardly has to do any work on it at home at all :smile: So much for 1 hour at school= 5 hours at home lol!
If you want to do A level maths though, DO FURTHER MATHS, it's easier than learning core 1 and core 2 at collage. If you don't want to do A level maths, then do it anyway, you need it for almost anything. :wink: :smile: :wink:
Did it last year. Found it really good. If u like maths and/or want to do A level maths - take it. It's an extra qualification so why not? However if u think u won't be able to handle the stress it might worth advising with ur teacher/ thinking about it for yourself. Good luck!
Hey.
I am doing it as we speak. It's not hard as long as your good at math and can understand A/A* Grade GCSE stuff with ease. Those who are on B's or lower i WOULDN'T RECOMMEND it. As you will find it quite difficult.
PM with any questions.
Reply 14
I'm doing Further Maths GCSE because I was chosen to do it. If you enjoy maths then take it
Reply 15
Original post by Chittesh14
Did u get A* in gcse maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an A but was 5 marks off an A* so retook it last month to hopefully get an A*!😁we don't find out until January though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abbie00
I got an A but was 5 marks off an A* so retook it last month to hopefully get an A*!😁we don't find out until January though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow I get one chance in year 10 that's it my final grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am doing the AQA Level 2 Further Maths Certificate and it is relatively easy at the moment. I achieved an A* in my Maths GCSE in Year 10, getting 189/200 with no revision !:colondollar:
I am predicted an A^ for this which should be simple if we move on to the A level content fast.
Reply 18
Original post by Chittesh14
Wow I get one chance in year 10 that's it my final grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow I must be lucky to be able to retake it then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest