The Student Room Group

when to start revision for gcses?

Hello!

I'm more of a C-B grade student who will be sitting my exams in May this year and hope to get at least a good amount of A's or even A* for a matter, however the problem is that i havent even started my revision yet and would just like to know that if i revise now, would i still be able to get good grades?

Hiya,
It really depends on your revision style, so prefer to work under pressure others prefer to go steadily. -Don't worry about others and do what suits you best :smile:
I would suggest you write down all the things you've got to revise, highlighting the priorities and put together a plan being realistic about how much you would be able to do each day.
You can get organised now maybe making revision cards, learning smaller aspects like key words to save time later but I wouldn't start just yet as otherwise you'll be so revisioned out by the end. (I'm going to start after half term).
It's the quality not the quantity of revision that counts - learning the exam technique as well as the content, reading texts for English properly e.t.c :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,
It really depends on your revision style, so prefer to work under pressure others prefer to go steadily. -Don't worry about others and do what suits you best :smile:
I would suggest you write down all the things you've got to revise, highlighting the priorities and put together a plan being realistic about how much you would be able to do each day.
You can get organised now maybe making revision cards, learning smaller aspects like key words to save time later but I wouldn't start just yet as otherwise you'll be so revisioned out by the end. (I'm going to start after half term).
It's the quality not the quantity of revision that counts - learning the exam technique as well as the content, reading texts for English properly e.t.c :smile:

Ahh thank you so much for the wonderful advice and I hope to take it seriously and actually revise my butt off sooo....REVISION HERE I COME!!!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 3
You still have time! :smile:

What helped me the most (did GCSEs in 2014), in particular for the sciences), was printing off the specifications so I knew exactly what I had to know. For me, I revise best by making colourful mind maps on revision cards, and when I had finished making cards for/revising a topic, I would highlight that particular topic on the specification - I don't know why, but the process of 'highlighting off' the topics really motivated me to do more revision :smile:

As for when to start: I had made revision cards/materials through out the two years, but didn't officially 'start revising' until February half term. The earlier you start, the more time you have to cover all the topics thoroughly and see teachers if you don't understand something. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Kat1029
You still have time! :smile:

What helped me the most (did GCSEs in 2014), in particular for the sciences), was printing off the specifications so I knew exactly what I had to know. For me, I revise best by making colourful mind maps on revision cards, and when I had finished making cards for/revising a topic, I would highlight that particular topic on the specification - I don't know why, but the process of 'highlighting off' the topics really motivated me to do more revision :smile:

As for when to start: I had made revision cards/materials through out the two years, but didn't officially 'start revising' until February half term. The earlier you start, the more time you have to cover all the topics thoroughly and see teachers if you don't understand something. :smile:

Thank you :smile:
I've printed out most of the specifications and past papers for each subject, however I just can't seem to find out the 'right' revision technique which I think is the most important part when it comes to revison, so I will try out your method of revising and hopefully see it how goes x

Quick Reply

Latest