The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Anyone wanting to study 'Deaf Studies and Education' at UCLAN?

Anyone wanting to study 'Deaf Studies and Education' at UCLAN? Want to meet people beforehand. Thats if anyone is interested?
My daughter is - although at the last minute she chose BSL and Deaf studies without the education. She is quite shy and anxious so meeting someone would be great. I think she is going to join the uclan freshers group 2015 when a few more join so you can catch her on there soon. Oh, her name is Aimee.
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
She shouldn't feel shy or anxious were all in the same position as she is. Has she attended an interview day? I have been asked to attend one and would like some information on the questions they may ask?
Original post by CeriAnn01
She shouldn't feel shy or anxious were all in the same position as she is. Has she attended an interview day? I have been asked to attend one and would like some information on the questions they may ask?

Hi. Yes she attended an interview/applicant day on 14 Jan. This was all very relaxed and friendly which certainly helped put everyone at ease.

The interview itself must have been fine as she came out smiling. She said to just be yourself - it was very general, i.e. why do you want to study this course etc and nothing at all to worry about. She enjoyed this day far more than the open day and learned so much more about the uni and these courses. Some current students joined them and answered questions or just chatted generally about the course and their experiences, tips for settling in etc. Really helpful stuff. From the moment we left to return home she was in no doubt at all this was the course she wanted to do and that Uclan was where she wanted to be. Only thing was she has not seen any accommodation so will be choosing blind on this one.

When is your interview? Do not worry, relax, enjoy and good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Reply 4
Im guessing my interview is this month, thank you for your advice please thank your daughter!
did she have to sign at all during her interview? I haven't seen any accommodation so I'm in the same position as she is.. Ive visited uclan twice now and fallen in love
Im guessing my interview is this month, thank you for your advice please thank your daughter!
did she have to sign at all during her interview? I haven't seen any accommodation so I'm in the same position as she is.. Ive visited uclan twice now and fallen in love

They asked who could do some sign language but stressed it was not a requirement. My daughter knows a few bits - and I mean a few so she will be a complete novice in the beginners group. It was probably a 30:70 split - those who could do some and those who could do none but it was not part of her interview. Just a question so they could assess the level as to your starting point. And she fell in love too. A couple of the current students advised her to go into Uclan Halls rather than private for the first year - Aimee can't remember their reasons but they seemed good ones at the time.

No she did not have to sign at all. They did ask who had done some previously and who had not but only as a rough guide. I think they said everyone would be assessed in Sept when the course starts. It was roughly a 30/70 split between those that could do some and those that could do none. Aimee knows a few basic letters/words and I mean a few so she will be starting at the very beginning.

As for Accomm, a couple of second years she was talking to advised her to go into Uclan Halls for the first year at least, rather than private. She cannot remember their reasons but they seemed good ones at the time. I think these girls are in Roeburn.

And yes, my daughter fell in love as well - they were all just so welcoming and friendly. (unlike York where my son is in his final year)
Reply 7
Hi! I'm doing Deaf Studies and Education starting in September. I'm going straight into seocnd year though because I'm switching university/degree. Erm, my interview didn't use any signing, they just asked whether I am a complete novice or not. I'm not because I have deaf family members.

Having been at uni for a while already, I would recommend uni halls, it's convenient, cheaper, you make a big group of friends. If there are any problems with your room etc then there's uni accommodation staff there to sort you out. Way better for settling in and not having to worry about anything.
Reply 8
Original post by r0se_b
Hi! I'm doing Deaf Studies and Education starting in September. I'm going straight into seocnd year though because I'm switching university/degree. Erm, my interview didn't use any signing, they just asked whether I am a complete novice or not. I'm not because I have deaf family members.

Having been at uni for a while already, I would recommend uni halls, it's convenient, cheaper, you make a big group of friends. If there are any problems with your room etc then there's uni accommodation staff there to sort you out. Way better for settling in and not having to worry about anything.

Thank you for your help, Ive already had my interview it was successful and Ive been offered a place. Im living at Walker Street accommodation
Reply 9
Original post by Blovesdreamies
No she did not have to sign at all. They did ask who had done some previously and who had not but only as a rough guide. I think they said everyone would be assessed in Sept when the course starts. It was roughly a 30/70 split between those that could do some and those that could do none. Aimee knows a few basic letters/words and I mean a few so she will be starting at the very beginning.

As for Accomm, a couple of second years she was talking to advised her to go into Uclan Halls for the first year at least, rather than private. She cannot remember their reasons but they seemed good ones at the time. I think these girls are in Roeburn.

And yes, my daughter fell in love as well - they were all just so welcoming and friendly. (unlike York where my son is in his final year)

Thank you for your help, the interview was successful. Im living in Walker Street accommodation. Your daughter should join the facebook pages to gain more friends beforehand, it was very beneficial for me. Ive met some flat mates but so far no one from my course..
Thank you for your help, the interview was successful. Im living in Walker Street accommodation. Your daughter should join the facebook pages to gain more friends beforehand, it was very beneficial for me. Ive met some flat mates but so far no one from my course..

Congratulations - exciting times ahead.
My daughter contacted Walker Street as well but they were limited on availability. They suggested Moor Lane instead, but she did not really want this. She is a pretty anxious person (or at least until she gets to know people), and was advised to stick with Uclan Halls for the first year. There will be more support if needed this way and the security of knowing she could move if she really was not happy with the allocation sort of clinched the deal. She has applied through Uclan now so fingers crossed she gets what she is hoping for. Hopefully some Halls groups will open up when allocations are made. The 2nd years she met at her interview said there should be a BSL Deaf Studies 2015 fb group starting soon so will watch out for that one.
Reply 11
Original post by Blovesdreamies
Congratulations - exciting times ahead.
My daughter contacted Walker Street as well but they were limited on availability. They suggested Moor Lane instead, but she did not really want this. She is a pretty anxious person (or at least until she gets to know people), and was advised to stick with Uclan Halls for the first year. There will be more support if needed this way and the security of knowing she could move if she really was not happy with the allocation sort of clinched the deal. She has applied through Uclan now so fingers crossed she gets what she is hoping for. Hopefully some Halls groups will open up when allocations are made. The 2nd years she met at her interview said there should be a BSL Deaf Studies 2015 fb group starting soon so will watch out for that one.

I'm sure she will fit in just fine! if she needs a friend beforehand she can contact me on my facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ceriannjones01. I'm going to be in one of the same classes as her (deaf studies) so if she needed anyone to talk to/be friends with I'm happy to help :smile:
Hi. Finally my daughter has booked her accommodation. Unfortunately she left it a bit late and Walker St had nothing really suitable left and she did not like Moor Lane. She has booked with Warehouse Apts in the end as they seemed the most helpful and it looks nice on the website at least. Just got a couple of months to work on her confidence now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending