The Student Room Group

Any other women feel like this?

I don't know when it started, but it was sometime in the past year. I'm 20yo by the way.
It started with me noticing babies and children more. Perhaps around the time I started working at a daycare. I've worked in child care before but it was different, meeting all these children who were all so different and unique (lots were foreign too, it was a uni daycare). I started having thoughts like "wow, I hope my kids are ____ like him/her". Then I found out my friend from high school who moved across the country before her senior year (I'm a year older) was engaged, then got pregnant (she's southern and they do things early there, it seems). I was so happy for her, but I was also envious, being recently single and having difficulty picturing myself committing to one person (just because divorce rates are so high! Are they the one?). Anyway, 6 months later, now, she's just had her baby. I've fully given in to what I've been trying to bottle up and am fully admitting that I have serious baby envy. Even though pregnancy is scary seeming, I just want to have a baby so bad!! It's insane. Are my hormones doing something odd or what? has anyone felt like this?
(edited 9 years ago)
You seem to be feeling this way due to both your job and what's happened to your friend, if you're going to be around it a lot more, it's going to seem appealing, but keep in mind you're only 20. You've got plenty to do with your time and life before you should settle down with a child, there's a lot more too it than what it seems.
I think its going to be your natural instinct kicking in, and I know a lot of girls who think babies are cute and want one, but you should only go through with it if you're completely ready. Plus, with your friend having children, maybe deep down you feel like you're missing out on something?
Original post by D_ecrivaine
I don't know when it started, but it was sometime in the past year. I'm 20yo by the way.
It started with me noticing babies and children more. Perhaps around the time I started working at a daycare. I've worked in child care before but it was different, meeting all these children who were all so different and unique (lots were foreign too, it was a uni daycare). I started having thoughts like "wow, I hope my kids are ____ like him/her". Then I found out my friend from high school who moved across the country before her senior year (I'm a year older) was engaged, then got pregnant (she's southern and they do things early there, it seems). I was so happy for her, but I was also envious, being recently single and having difficulty picturing myself committing to one person (just because divorce rates are so high! Are they the one?). Anyway, 6 months later, now, she's just had her baby. I've fully given in to what I've been trying to bottle up and am fully admitting that I have serious baby envy. Even though pregnancy is scary seeming, I just want to have a baby so bad!! It's insane. Are my hormones doing something odd or what? has anyone felt like this?

Do you really want to be cleaning up feces and spew for the next god knows how long? Are you ready to give up sleeping for the next 10 years? Do you want to lose all your disposable income on baby food and diapers? How about having no free time to do things and go out on weekends?
Cost of having you own baby. Your far better off just renting one from the daycare or whatever you do now.
Original post by UlttraViolett
You seem to be feeling this way due to both your job and what's happened to your friend, if you're going to be around it a lot more, it's going to seem appealing, but keep in mind you're only 20. You've got plenty to do with your time and life before you should settle down with a child, there's a lot more too it than what it seems.
I think its going to be your natural instinct kicking in, and I know a lot of girls who think babies are cute and want one, but you should only go through with it if you're completely ready. Plus, with your friend having children, maybe deep down you feel like you're missing out on something?

Yeah I know I have lots I want to do before having kids, I probably want to wait at least 7-8 years. I probably am feeling a little left out, plus it seems like a sign of maturity/responsibly to have kids I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Laomedeia
Do you really want to be cleaning up feces and spew for the next god knows how long? Are you ready to give up sleeping for the next 10 years? Do you want to lose all your disposable income on baby food and diapers? How about having no free time to do things and go out on weekends?
Cost of having you own baby. Your far better off just renting one from the daycare or whatever you do now.

Haha I'm not actually gonna go and have one. I just have this inexplicable urge to have one. Obviously parenthood isn't easy, but still very rewarding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, I know the feeling. I don't work in childcare but all my friends seem to he having babies (we're all 20+) and it's making me feel the same :frown: it's gotten into my dreams too :frown: I'm not about to go out and get pregnant, I'm definitely not ready for it, I just have that urge to be a mother and hopefully I will be one day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope. I strongly dislike babies, they irritate me, and I find the thought of giving birth terrifying :\
Reply 7
I have become more open to the idea of having children as I've grown older (when I was in my teens and early 20s I used to say I never wanted kids ever)but I don't envy other women for having kids nor have I ever had the urge to have a baby.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by glacier fruit
Lol, I know the feeling. I don't work in childcare but all my friends seem to he having babies (we're all 20+) and it's making me feel the same :frown: it's gotten into my dreams too :frown: I'm not about to go out and get pregnant, I'm definitely not ready for it, I just have that urge to be a mother and hopefully I will be one day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've had dreams about being pregnant/having babies! :eek: I wouldn't dare until I finished my bachelors+masters but then there's the fear of never meeting anyone...

Original post by redferry
Nope. I strongly dislike babies, they irritate me, and I find the thought of giving birth terrifying :\

Yeah I don't feel mentally prepared to be a mother, the whole process of pregnancy and birth sounds a bit unpleasant to me. It's the end results (child) that I like.

Original post by gemmam
I have become more open to the idea of having children as I've grown older (when I was in my teens and early 20s I used to say I never wanted kids ever)but I don't envy other women for having kids nor have I ever had the urge to have a baby.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending