The Student Room Group

Girlfriend wants to stop using condoms?

My girlfriend has recently decided to go on the pill and wants to stop using condoms. That sounds great to me, but I've never had any kind of blood/urine test, so I'd have no idea if I had an STD. I don't see any reason why I would: she's my first sexual partner and I've never felt any symptoms of one. Is it easy to check? Would I know if I did have one (would there be symptoms)? Should I get checked before we do it?
Reply 1
i think thats very caring and good of you, you should go get checked out if you want to, just to be 100% extra safe although im sure youre clean.
I think it's always a good idea to get checked. Better safe than sorry. And yes, you can get checked at any GUM clinic - apparently it's perfectly easy.

One thing I would say, though, is make sure you trust her to take the pill properly. I know a couple of guys whose girlfriends had very convenient "accidents" with the pill and whilst most women will be honest and take it carefully, that's the kind of mistake which can completely alter your life and prospects - one of the guys is only 17 and this has completely ruined his chances of going to uni...

Good luck and be safe :smile:
wow what a stupid thread...lol
Original post by DocWho49

Not being rude but how is asking for advice stupid would you prefer them not to ask and spread the clap around

I believe it is you who is stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by vickie89uk
How is asking for advice stupid would you prefer them not to ask and spread the clap around

It is you who is stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought i'd cut right to the chase
There are at least three aspects of the difference to intercourse with and without a condom: practical, physical and emotional. Usually, only the middle one gets talked or asked about, but for the first, you may find you need to use some lube when you could 'just' use the lubrication on the condom. If one or both of you need to conceal that you're having sex, there's a different set of things to consider.

For the emotional side, there is an additional element of trust involved: you're trusting that she's taking it properly and both of you are trusting that the other one hasn't got an STI.

She's your first partner, so the only person you could have caught anything via sex from is her. If you are not her first partner, then it's possible that she may have - presumably unknowingly - caught something. Having both of you testing is something to consider.
Reply 7
Original post by DocWho49

It's not a stupid thread at all, it's honest questions.

To the poster:

You should both get tested to be sure that neither of you have an STD that you're unaware of. Simply explain to her that you've not been tested and that you want her to be safe and ask if she'd be willing to have a test done as well. Second, you should understand that your GF needs to be sure that she takes her birth control correctly. E.g., if she's the forgetful type you may need to remind her about it so that she can adopt a routine every day.
Reply 8
Get checked, then just enjoy it, because unprotected sex with somebody you care about is the best . thing . ever

Quick Reply

Latest