The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pretty Boy Floyd
Don't try and switch it round now and act all innocent. Your above comment (now lionised in my sig) was blatantly something you said due to the issue of Laura Walker saying coloured, being raised in the first place.

What, and qualify your conservative brand of racism?

hey man lewisyboy is everything BUT racist. certainly if he was he would openly be in saying a lot more negative thing;, i mean maybe the term from laura was down to pure ignorance on the matter and NOT racism. however, i do empathise with the subject as i'm 'coloured' aswell and don't feel any substantial offence.

so lets forget this and continue the op's subject.
erm guys i have a question. is it true that oxbridge candidates even get turned down by the bar?
Reply 62
In a word....YES.
but negro is latin for black.
and nigger is just a colloquialism for negro.
so how is it worse than calling you blaclk ?

is that a serious question?!
Now this is degenerating... the only thing I can raise in defence of some of these questions (although not that negro one... ****** is a disgusting word, although it's rather dbl standard that some black people call themselves it...) is that it's very hard to judge people's levels of acceptance. Calling people afro-caribbean etc can also be hard because some people will be offended unless you are 100% correct. It's also almost impossible to keep up with the cycle of PCness, as in.... knowing what term is currently "acceptable" and vice-versa.

I know this isn't quite the same... but I wouldn't be offended if you called me "colourless", or whatever abusive words I'm sure exist in black communities for white people. Sticks and stones, etc.
Mylla
is that a serious question?!

I hope not! otherwise i'll be reduced to handing out petty insults and btw I am loooving Headkandi too

and sorry if a "coloured" person or persons in this case deems the term offensive do not use it full stop no questions asked!
acolyte
but negro is latin for black.
and nigger is just a colloquialism for negro.
so how is it worse than calling you blaclk ?

and anyway, black is a colour.
so would calling someone coloured-black or black-coloured be ok ?
Anyway it is much better than the names that I have heard peopple calling those like that

So if black is a colour..white is what?! and besides races aren't actually the colours they go by!- I don't know why i'm even responding to this as JJ once said you can't reason with stupidity! those like that!? really though smh.
I agree with the "if they find it offensive, stop".

I have a mate at uni who used the term "Chinky" to refer to the food (NOT THE PEOPLE), as that was accepted where he's from. However, friends of ours were offended by this (in varying degrees)... but it still slips out of his mouth every now and again. I find this ridiculously uncomfortable, but he justifies it by saying that he is only referring to the food :frown:.
Lewisy-boy
I agree with the "if they find it offensive, stop".

I have a mate at uni who used the term "Chinky" to refer to the food (NOT THE PEOPLE), as that was accepted where he's from. However, friends of ours were offended by this (in varying degrees)... but it still slips out of his mouth every now and again. I find this ridiculously uncomfortable, but he justifies it by saying that he is only referring to the food :frown:.

yeah i know what you mean lewis. people here up north always say that about the food but it does make me feel a bit singled out. well, people take the racism thing a bit too seriously nowadays anyway and i'm a chinese :rolleyes: . it'll be better if we just get on with life, and IF someone offends us then stick two fingers up: simple as.

so can we all be friends and forget about this debate?
Please... stuff like this never goes down well, especially as one comment out of turn can be so bad!

Declaring (if I have the power) that this racism debate is over.

Back to the topic of becoming a barrister from Southampton... hopefully.
i have a question which isn't thread related...from your experiene lewis, is the teaching in se asia/expertise any different from the uk?
Very much so. The focus is way way different, and if you do any sort of public law stuff you get a very very different perspective. It's difficult to explain in a short post, and I'm too tired to bother with a long one, but let's just say that the Asian view is very different on a lot of things! If you do stuff like International Banking, of course, there isn't a lot of difference to if you studied that in England, but if you do like Human Rights, anything like that you notice a huge difference.

Suddenly there is opposition to ideas such as "universalism of rights", which you are never really exposed to in the UK because all HR courses focus on ECHR etc and so theory is never really explored. Doing the UDHR etc shows the debates of cultural relativism and that they claim that it is "western, liberalism, individualism" which runs contrary to collective views. How much weight lies in these claims is certainly an interesting debate, as you can twist the facts to just about any argument.

The best case I've done in awhile was a freedom of religion case... in Malaysia (an Islamic nation), and it was, well, different to say the least!
hmm yes...the asian human rights attitudes do seem pretty intriguing to study in a comparitive nature to the uk attitudes.

well that should be interesting with the clashes between different viewpoints in the religions (islam/buddhism etc)...may i ask what is the general stance of the se asians on religions...

also, a striking topic would be the death penalties. as we all know there is obvious controversy from the western world on whether this should be abolished but what are the general stances on this?
shady lane
Did you seriously use the term "coloured?" That's extremely offensive.

EDIT: didn't see that other people had said something already. Honestly LW you're using your full name and loads of personal details, then saying "coloured." Not good for a future legal career.

Quite right too, Shady_Lane, so may I apologise for using the incorrect word. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored I just thought 'black' was abrupt. In a way, despite using the wrong phrase, I was, at least trying, to be ANYTHING BUT OFFENSIVE. A RESOLUTE STANCE AGAINST RACISM BEING MY INTENTION COMPLETELY I was saying that you can be non-Oxbridge, caucasian and get a job there (i.e like the man from York) and therefore the treatment of the other Gentleman, who you may call Black, was nothing to do with his race. I implied that he bloody got there on his merits, man! His bloody merits. Good for him!! They were not making special exceptions. Do you honestly think the TSR holds that much weight on my future. Of course, racism (which is wrong) should definitely cause you to take issue with any person using it! I encourage you to do so. I am glad I have the guts to use my name on here and not hide behind a screen to make hurtful comments, as people often try to on chat forums.

Sadly life is really really s**t and sometimes people say the wrong thing, far worse when they mean it. I had that at my last university from teaching staff about a disability. Its ****. I learnt after having that from those staff that to ignore it was the best way to make them look stupid.

My hair is naturally slightly redish at the bottom with lots of blonde strands, get your own back, called me ginner. It sounds minor but people with ginger hair used to get bullied at my school for being fair and I am very fair. I once got punched in the face for having blonde/very slightly ginger hair. Hey, racism might not be such an issue one day as my race, i.e fair, ginger blonde is dying out because the gene is not dominant.
LauraWalker
Quite right too, Shady_Lane, so may I apologise for using the incorrect word. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored I just thought 'black' was abrupt. In a way, despite using the wrong phrase, I was, at least trying, to be ANYTHING BUT OFFENSIVE. A RESOLUTE STANCE AGAINST RACISM BEING MY INTENTION COMPLETELY I was saying that you can be non-Oxbridge, caucasian and get a job there and therefore the treatment of the other Gentleman was nothing to do with his race. I implied that he bloody got there on his merits, man! His bloody merits. Good for him!! They were not making special exceptions. Do you honestly think the TSR holds that much weight on my future. Of course, racism (which is wrong) should definitely cause you to take issue with any person using it! I encourage you to do so. I am glad I have the guts to use my name on here and not hide behind a screen to make hurtful comments, as people often try to on chat forums.

Sadly life is really really s**t and sometimes people say the wrong thing, far worse when they mean it. I had that at my last university from teaching staff about a disability. Its ****. I learnt after having that from those staff that to ignore it was the best way to make them look stupid.

My hair is naturally slightly redish at the bottom with lots of blonde strands, get your own back, called me ginner. It sounds minor but people with ginger hair used to get bullied at my school for being fair and I am very fair. I once got punched in the face for having blonde/very slightly ginger hair. Hey, racism might not be such an issue one day as my race, i.e fair, ginger blonde is dying out because the gene is not dominant.

I like you Laura, I feel you are totally genuine and I can actually believe what you say. That's why your comment isn't in my "Ignorance watch" signature. :smile:

Others however (who have posted in this thread), I'm not so sure about, and I feel that they DO hold an inherent prejudicial attitude (more than the 'norm'). I don't know, maybe it's xenophobia.

P.S. Laura, I don't think anyone accused you of racism.
Thanks. I don't think anyone accused me of racism. I just wanted to make it clear that I think it is abhorent to be racist. Just to be sure because I felt bad that I said something that might upset someone.

Thanks for the tip though! I am kind of pleased that I now know people might find that offensive. My uncle is really against racism and he actually thinks it is nicer than black. It seems that people who are African do not think so. It is worth knowing. I'll tell him too because he helps in African countries.

Yours, Fair women, who wants some pigment, MAN!
Reply 76
Pretty Boy Floyd
I like you Laura, I feel you are totally genuine and I can actually believe what you say. That's why your comment isn't in my "Ignorance watch" signature. :smile:

Others however (who have posted in this thread), I'm not so sure about, and I feel that they DO hold an inherent prejudicial attitude (more than the 'norm'). I don't know, maybe it's xenophobia.

gaha now your accusing folk of being xenophobic, arr pull the other one will ya.

It totally depends on the context words are used to the offence of them. I am however against ni***r used in any context. but coloured i really don't mind, if someone is saying it in a blatant racist way then yeh, but in general description of somebody, i don't see a problem.
LauraWalker
Quite right too, Shady_Lane, so may I apologise for using the incorrect word. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored I just thought 'black' was abrupt. In a way, despite using the wrong phrase, I was, at least trying, to be ANYTHING BUT OFFENSIVE. A RESOLUTE STANCE AGAINST RACISM BEING MY INTENTION COMPLETELY I was saying that you can be non-Oxbridge, caucasian and get a job there (i.e like the man from York) and therefore the treatment of the other Gentleman, who you may call Black, was nothing to do with his race. I implied that he bloody got there on his merits, man! His bloody merits. Good for him!! They were not making special exceptions. Do you honestly think the TSR holds that much weight on my future. Of course, racism (which is wrong) should definitely cause you to take issue with any person using it! I encourage you to do so. I am glad I have the guts to use my name on here and not hide behind a screen to make hurtful comments, as people often try to on chat forums.

wow erm laura. never knew you had it so bad. even though im in a different race i don't get the punching treatment. you have my respect for putting up your identity on tsr, shows guts.

plus i was pretty shocked that teaching staff would treat you like that on your disability...makes me think about what sort of world we live in...
LOL. I don't really have it that bad, just noting people at my last school went around punching people with ginger hair. My hair is a combination of blonde and ginger so it lead to a hugh fight in the 'playground' from a girl who was totally red ginger (I am not) It resulted in me taking a punch but I was 12 at the time. I pushed her over into the flowers. Yes, kiddie stuff. Very, very silly stuff. As adults we are mates, we just annoyed each other and bash. He, He at least I am not Jade off Big Brother. The yobby cow.

As for my disability people were quite nasty about it Hull in my opinion but life goes on. I struggled sometimes when I was unwell. I was really pissed off when one of them even felt the need to bring it up at my graduation infront of someone dsylexic who took the degree part time despite being full time. I thought, thanks for that, being negative infront of another bloody student, especially as you made me retake things I got high firsts in due to my illness affecting deadlines within the whole structure when others get to spread it out because of other problems. If you want to make me retake things and do worse when I am unwell, then shut up with the negative comments at least!
Oh dear, I might have use one word incorrectly (wrongly thinking it was the pleasant one) but a can of worms really has been opened and luckily not by me.

Latest

Trending

Trending