The Student Room Group

Primary teacher with mental health issue??

I want to apply for Primary Education, but I need to write my mental health issue in the occupational health for. They would test and check whether this course is suited to me.

I was recently diagnosed with Body Dysmorphic Disorder.
It led me to have a distorted view of my body, dark thought, self harm, obsessive behaviours (calorie counting and excercising) and my insecurities being constantly on my mind which affected my performance in AS.

I'm currently getting treated with CBT. Would this affect my chance of applying to Primary Education.
Reply 1
Original post by sunshine97
I want to apply for Primary Education, but I need to write my mental health issue in the occupational health for. They would test and check whether this course is suited to me.

It led me to have a distorted view of my body, dark thought, self harm, obsessive behaviours (calorie counting and excercising) and my insecurities being constantly on my mind which affected my performance in AS.

I'm currently getting treated with CBT. Would this affect my chance of applying to Primary Education.

I doubt it would, as it doesn't/won't affect the children, so you should be fine :smile:

i wouldnt worry as long as your mental health is stable when you start the course:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by HarpZsc
I doubt it would, as it doesn't/won't affect the children, so you should be fine :smile:

Original post by claireestelle
i wouldnt worry as long as your mental health is stable when you start the course:smile:

What makes you guys say that based on what I wrote? Plus wouldn't they think I can't handle their course since it affected my performance at college in the past?
(edited 8 years ago)

I am currently in this situation. I have body dysmorphia really badly and I have suffered with eating disorders in the past I am just scared to go to my doctor even though people around me tell me I should go. I dont want it to affect my chance of getting onto teacher training. Did they offer you medication? I know someone who was fine to be teacher training as she was on medication controlling her depression. I dont know what I should do
Reply 5
Original post by trifleontoast
I am currently in this situation. I have body dysmorphia really badly and I have suffered with eating disorders in the past I am just scared to go to my doctor even though people around me tell me I should go. I dont want it to affect my chance of getting onto teacher training. Did they offer you medication? I know someone who was fine to be teacher training as she was on medication controlling her depression. I dont know what I should do

Looks like we're on a similar boat. I felt like you as well this whole year, I thought it could go by itself and I thought there was no point in taking such a risk that could hinder my chances of being a primary teacher. It got worse everyday and I really couldn't handle it by myself so a day ago I went to my GP. They referred me to CBT, I haven't had the treatment yet and so far I haven't been offered medication.

It might be best to go if it's not getting cured by leaving it alone. But I'm still unsure on whether it could affect the chances of getting into primary education.

Btw how bad was the girl with depression' condition? and how long was she getting treatment for prior to starting her course?
Looks like we're on a similar boat. I felt like you as well this whole year, I thought it could go by itself and I thought there was no point in taking such a risk that could hinder my chances of being a primary teacher. It got worse everyday and I really couldn't handle it by myself so a day ago I went to my GP. They referred me to CBT, I haven't had the treatment yet and so far I haven't been offered medication.

It might be best to go if it's not getting cured by leaving it alone. But I'm still unsure on whether it could affect the chances of getting into primary education.

Btw how bad was the girl with depression' condition? and how long was she getting treatment for prior to starting her course?

Yeah sounds like we are, although im alot older than you, im postgrad now. It did affect me through my degree and caused big issues in my final year. Well that was bulimia but I guess the two are linked. I have improved massively on my own but still there are issues. Thats good, glad you got referred, I went to see my GP about six months ago and he only gave me a self referral form to a place and I never bothered with it because you dont need a gp to do so, so i felt it was a waste of time. I wouldnt go down the mediciation route I dont think personally.

It could affect yes, I had to fill in a health questionnaire in september for the course I am on now, and I didnt say I had an issue because it hadnt been diagnosed so yeah I thought Im not putting it down as you have to go and see them if there are things on it that can be a problem. Offers are coniditonal on meeting the dbs and health check clearance so they are important and could stop you getting on, if they deemed you not fit to teach.
Shes been on antidepressants for years, she told me about the side effects of taking them but that she needs them or she gets really bad, she gets benefits for her depression too so I guess its taken seriously. She had to inform the lecturers about her depression.

Maybe just show you are managing it, then you will be allowed on the course, I imagine.
What makes you guys say that based on what I wrote? Plus wouldn't they think I can't handle their course since it affected my performance at college in the past?

If You can do nursing with an mh condition if you re stable and taking any treatment offered then I d assume it's the same for teaching, it based on your health when you start really not the past so much unless it was very recent
Reply 8
Original post by trifleontoast
Yeah sounds like we are, although im alot older than you, im postgrad now. It did affect me through my degree and caused big issues in my final year. Well that was bulimia but I guess the two are linked. I have improved massively on my own but still there are issues. Thats good, glad you got referred, I went to see my GP about six months ago and he only gave me a self referral form to a place and I never bothered with it because you dont need a gp to do so, so i felt it was a waste of time. I wouldnt go down the mediciation route I dont think personally.

It could affect yes, I had to fill in a health questionnaire in september for the course I am on now, and I didnt say I had an issue because it hadnt been diagnosed so yeah I thought Im not putting it down as you have to go and see them if there are things on it that can be a problem. Offers are coniditonal on meeting the dbs and health check clearance so they are important and could stop you getting on, if they deemed you not fit to teach.
Shes been on antidepressants for years, she told me about the side effects of taking them but that she needs them or she gets really bad, she gets benefits for her depression too so I guess its taken seriously. She had to inform the lecturers about her depression.

Maybe just show you are managing it, then you will be allowed on the course, I imagine.

I'm glad your conditions improved, and I hope it continues to do so. I wish i were as strong as you, it did affect me during the whole A2 year, I tried improving it by myself but it failed miserably.

I heard if it's something that could affect others around you e.g. Bipolar it make it less likely to be accepted into primary education. And I know BDD only affects the person themselves (depending on how serious it is) my one only affects me, but I'm scared that the fact that it affected my performance during A2 could affect my placement. I'm just going to hope my symptoms improve before applying in september-january 2015.

What kind of side effects does she get without the medications? Does her depression effect her productivity with her uni work? And others?
Reply 9
Original post by claireestelle
If You can do nursing with an mh condition if you re stable and taking any treatment offered then I d assume it's the same for teaching, it based on your health when you start really not the past so much unless it was very recent

I had it for a year and I got diagnosed with it a day ago and I will be having CBT. But I will be applying for primary education around september-january 2015.

Im not sure if this will affect my chances of getting accepted into primary education
I had it for a year and I got diagnosed with it a day ago and I will be having CBT. But I will be applying for primary education around september-january 2015.

Im not sure if this will affect my chances of getting accepted into primary education

you wont be asked to do the occupational health until you ve got a firm choice i think so it could be this time next year before you d be asked to do one, so if you would have had treatment for a good few months and were in reasonably good mental health i recon you d be fine
Honestly, I know of some teaching courses that really consider the details you put on your health forms that you complete before starting the course. I know a girl who has been struggling with stress and depression recently and she's now deferred and is starting the course again next year. Some departments will ask for proof from your doctor that you're "fit" (whether that be mentally or physically) enough to teach, because it is a demanding course and profession to go into.

It could be an idea to talk to universities about it though and ask whether your situation would affect your chances. All the best!
I doubt it; mental health issues should be treated and discriminating against those who suffer won't help this cause in the slightest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending