The Student Room Group

I've just been referred to Mandatory work activity

How the hell can I get out of it? my adviser referred me to do 4 week Mandatory placement after my temp contract has ended.
Now I am not one of those people who cheat the system and yet I was still referred to do Mandatory work activity ?
Forgot to add I am on JSA
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _icecream
How the hell can I get out of it? my adviser referred me to do 4 week Mandatory placement after my temp contract has ended.
Is this to do with benefits?
Reply 2
Original post by Little Popcorns
Is this to do with benefits?

Yeah I am on Jsa
Yeah I am on Jsa

Why don't you want to do it? Where is it/who is it with? It's only 4 weeks!
Reply 4
Why don't you want to do it? Where is it/who is it with? It's only 4 weeks!

It's 4 weeks unpaid work which I can't really do
But you'll be receiving JSA during it won't you?

Why can't you do it? This is a Tory initiative which I'm fully in favour of. Why should you be given money for nothing?
Reply 7
But you'll be receiving JSA during it won't you?

And...I don't see why I have to work 30 hours a week for JSA which works at roughly around £1.00 an hour way below the minimum wage
Reply 8
Original post by BloodandThunder
Why can't you do it? This is a Tory initiative which I'm fully in favour of. Why should you be given money for nothing?

This is money that I am entitled to which I'll pay back anyway through tax, I don't see why I should work for free
This is money that I am entitled to which I'll pay back anyway through tax, I don't see why I should work for free

no you are not entitled to my money at all

go off JSA and ask your parents for a loan.

Fair point, people should claim back as much stolen tax as possible, although the problem is that the policy can't really discriminate on thoes grounds otherwise you wouldn't be taxed
i dont agree with doing this. for one reason. the work placements they make you do is 9/10 in a field that doesnt, fit your skills. A couple of years back i was placed on something similar. I was placed doing filing in an office, and I was told to leave after a week, because i had interviews for 4/5 days. When i went back to the job centre my advisor aplogised becasue, they relaised that i wasnt sutibale for the placement as it was for people without a years of any work experince, which i already had in a placement. I think if the employer you do the placement ith is happy for you to attend interviews etc then it its ok, but most of the time the company isnt,
And...I don't see why I have to work 30 hours a week for JSA which works at roughly around £1.00 an hour way below the minimum wage
I'm no Tory but... Won't it be good experience? Just trying to look on the bright side.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 13
I'm no Tory but... Won't it be good experience? Just trying to look on the bright side.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

early 20s have plenty of experience in life I am not some stuck up chav who doesn't want to work. The only thing is that I demand to be paid in exchange of my labour
(edited 8 years ago)
early 20s have plenty of experience in life I am not some stuck up chav who doesn't want to work. The only thing is that I demand to be paid in exchange of my labour
Didn't say you were. Doubt there's a way round it at this point though they'll probably just pull sanctions if you don't?
Reply 15
Didn't say you were. Doubt there's a way round it at this point though they'll probably just pull sanctions if you don't?

Yeah I'll probably get sanctioned if I don't turn up so I will just turn up and do the minimum amount of work possible
I guarentee if u stop attending because you have interviews /telephone interviews they will let you leave. The placement company will get annoyed that you are keeping having interviews etc. The job centre still expect you to look for jobs anyway
4 weeks isn't much. Life is **** sometimes, just deal with it. You can't always have everything your way.
My sympathies. They're trying to get me to do one too. I have ten days to get a (better) job or I'll end up stacking shelves in Sainsburys or something equally as unhelpful to my career.
What else are your going too do 4 weeks?
Just suck it up and work harder to get an actual paid job .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending