The Student Room Group

Resit a levels or go straight to uni?

I know there's a lot of threads with the same topic but I'm really confused about where I wanna go. I got grades BBC and missed out on my firm and insurance choice for biomed/biochem which require AAB/ABB. I got a place at mmu through clearing but tbh I don't really wanna go so should i retake my a levels or give mmu a try?
Reply 1
Hey,

This is so weird but I am in the exact same position (apart from the biomed/biochem part), I needed to get ABB in order to go Queens (my firm) and ended up getting a BBC, but was accepted by my insurance Greenwich, but I am not entirely chuffed about it. I am currently also contemplating whether to resit. However, I feel like so far theres no point resitting because I would only retake the C and resit 3 units.

Personally what helped me was thinking about whether I would actually be motivated enough to go back and study everything again.

I hope that helped x
Original post by grandpa-tofu
I know there's a lot of threads with the same topic but I'm really confused about where I wanna go. I got grades BBC and missed out on my firm and insurance choice for biomed/biochem which require AAB/ABB. I got a place at mmu through clearing but tbh I don't really wanna go so should i retake my a levels or give mmu a try?

Heya I've just graduated in Biomedical science, I got A*CC at A level but got into my firm choice. It's a difficult question because you don't want to risk going somewhere you don't like, but at the same time, if you like the course then I think wherever you go, you will have a great time! I went to Keele and it was brilliant. MMU is nice, I visited for my masters, so in all honesty I would go there, but I'd go with your gut feeling, also bear in mind, by retaking, you are losing a year of earning money (as you graduate a year later) and remember, you're at uni to study the course, you will make loads of friends wherever you go, and manchester is a great city. Good luck! What was your firm and insurance choices to begin with?
Reply 3
Original post by kaydee97
Hey,

This is so weird but I am in the exact same position (apart from the biomed/biochem part), I needed to get ABB in order to go Queens (my firm) and ended up getting a BBC, but was accepted by my insurance Greenwich, but I am not entirely chuffed about it. I am currently also contemplating whether to resit. However, I feel like so far theres no point resitting because I would only retake the C and resit 3 units.

Personally what helped me was thinking about whether I would actually be motivated enough to go back and study everything again.

I hope that helped x

The only thing that's holding me back is the number of modules I'm going to retake and I'm worried employers will look at my alevels when deciding to employ me or another candidate. I've looked at mmu's course content and so far it seems good if not better than most unis but they don't have a sandwich course for offer, i was thinking of whether to transfer into another uni if i could get a 2:1 or 1st in my first year but at the same time most unis don't take transfer anx will look at your alevels
Reply 4
Original post by Physflop
Heya I've just graduated in Biomedical science, I got A*CC at A level but got into my firm choice. It's a difficult question because you don't want to risk going somewhere you don't like, but at the same time, if you like the course then I think wherever you go, you will have a great time! I went to Keele and it was brilliant. MMU is nice, I visited for my masters, so in all honesty I would go there, but I'd go with your gut feeling, also bear in mind, by retaking, you are losing a year of earning money (as you graduate a year later) and remember, you're at uni to study the course, you will make loads of friends wherever you go, and manchester is a great city. Good luck! What was your firm and insurance choices to begin with?

I don't mind taking a year out to resit and I'll probably work part time along side with my studies. I'm just really conflicted seeing as i don't really wanna go to mmu and I feel like i might waste my time but on the hand i have a place at uni so should i go? I heard some people say it's a waste of time to resit but considering my grades a lot unis won't consider me.

My firm was bath and insurance was Manchester

Giving uni a try is expensive if you decide in the end that it is not the course for you. Your resit year is free (for under 19s), and having a better grasp of the subject is likely to be very helpful when you start your uni course. If you find that you have quite a bit of free time in the resit year you could do some part-time work too.
Reply 6
I'm just really conflicted seeing as i don't really wanna go to mmu and I feel like i might waste my time but on the hand i have a place at uni so should i go?

If you've just finished A-levels then I'm guessing you're 18? You have time on your side, and plenty of time to fix this. I would really recommend against going somewhere that you don't want to go, potentially wasting a year of your life (if you end up leaving) and a load of money.

If I were you I would take a gap year, resit, and consIder your plan of action for next year. I wish somebody had told me the same thing when I was 18. I made stupid decisions due to the pressure of feeling I had to go to uni ASAP (despite not knowing what I actually wanted to study) and they ultimately cost me far more time than if I'd just stopped and taken the time to plan out what I really wanted do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi, I was kind of in the same situation as you until yesterday.

My firm was Bath which required AAA and I got AAB, I didn't get in.
I still got into my insurance uni but Bath was the only uni I wanted to study my course at.
So I asked my insurance uni to release me into clearing, and through clearing I got an offer from City.

I didn't mind going to City as I knew it was a good school but I wasn't 100% for it.

Now I have decided to retake my A2 Economics only, to bring up the grade from a B to an A and give a go for the 2016 entry.

I honestly thought it was a waste of time but think about it, one year would be nothing if this could change your career/future forever. It might not turn out as good as you think but at least you will know you've tried!

There's no rush, you don't have to go to university now. An extra year could actually give you a clearer idea of where you really want to go and what you want to study - and I think this is one of the greatest perks of taking a gap year.

Decision is yours, this is my general thought :smile:
Hey,

I hope that helped x

Hey just wondering if you accepted your Greenwich offer ? I'm starting there is September for biomed :smile:
I had my heart set on Dentistry at Kings, but was rejected after interview. I was offered a place at Belfast and, although I wasn't too keen, put it down as my firm as it was the course that I wanted to study.

I had too many other commitments and jobs etc. during my a-levels and ended up with much lower grades than expected. I didn't get into Belfast, but got a place at Plymouth for Biomedical Sciences (without looking at the uni rankings :/ ). I decided not to retake a year and will hopefully study Dentistry after my degree. Think about all the stress you went through etc. during sixth form. Uni will be much more relaxed and fun, and, at the end of the day, you'll be on the right track to getting a degree in the subject you want. Who cares about which uni, or where - wherever you go, you'll make friends, have good tutors and a good life if you put in the effort.

I'd say retaking may not be worth the time, effort or risk of not improving.

Woahh, I didn't mean to make my post that long, sorry for boring you, but anyway, you now have
my opinion!

Alice
Reply 10
Do unis want anything else from this gap year? Such as getting a work placement or apprenticeship whilst retaking your modules? And is it too late to contact my sixth form now for a space in their school since term time begins in september again?
Reply 11
Original post by kjyang

Now I have decided to retake my A2 Economics only, to bring up the grade from a B to an A and give a go for the 2016 entry.

What did you get in the modules for econ3+4. I felt they were so harsh on marking this year. Confident all year round, confident in exam but ended up with such unexpected results.
I 100% recommend resitting your exams. At first you may feel inclined towards going straight to uni (compromising on the uni) especially considering how a lot of your friends may be planning to go to uni this year too, however don't feel pressurised! A resit is BRILLIANT! If you put your mind to it, you will eventually get very good grades (leading towards admission at a much higher-ranked uni too). These A Levels will be with you for life! Later on in life, when employers ask for you to have 'certain A Level grades' you will not sense any regret either. These grades will be with you for life! TAKE THE RESIT, do not fall into a pressure fuelled trap, it will be the best decision you will ever make! I promise you! One year of your life is nothing, this extra year of study may just transform your life!
Reply 13
The only thing that's holding me back is the number of modules I'm going to retake and I'm worried employers will look at my alevels when deciding to employ me or another candidate. I've looked at mmu's course content and so far it seems good if not better than most unis but they don't have a sandwich course for offer, i was thinking of whether to transfer into another uni if i could get a 2:1 or 1st in my first year but at the same time most unis don't take transfer anx will look at your alevels

I have never heard of employees looking at A level resits, perhaps they do, but i wouldnt put too much emphasis on that. If you want to go MMU but the only thing holding you back is not having the option of a sandwich year, you can always do it yourself, take a year out and find a work placement yourself. However, if you feel like your current A levels will hold you back later on in life, then perhaps resitting is the route you should take. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by cupcake2nite
Hey just wondering if you accepted your Greenwich offer ? I'm starting there is September for biomed :smile:

Hey, Yeah I did, and that's brilliant :smile:, are you planning to commute?
Reply 15
Original post by KnoVolt
What did you get in the modules for econ3+4. I felt they were so harsh on marking this year. Confident all year round, confident in exam but ended up with such unexpected results.

Exactly!
I needed to get 75 to get an A because my AS was 85.
But I ended up with 69 which only gives 77 in the full A Level..
So I didn't get into my firm uni by 3 marks off :frown:
Hey, Yeah I did, and that's brilliant :smile:, are you planning to commute?

No , i live too far to commute so will be staying there . Have you had a look around the campus yet ? What do you think of it ? I got my place through clearing so haven't had a chance to see the uni yet . What course are you planning to do ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Wow i am in the exact same position as your right now!

i want to study biomedical science and applied to the university of Birmingham and King's college London but i missed my chemistry grade and got a C instead of an A.
i got an offer from Aston in clearing but i don't really like the course or the university very much. i don't know, maybe i'm over thinking it, maybe i should be grateful I've been given an offer or maybe i should take a year out and resit, i just dont know. There is always the chance that i might not make it in next year either....! OCR chemistry is too unpredictable!

Any advice?

Original post by SA197
Wow i am in the exact same position as your right now!

i want to study biomedical science and applied to the university of Birmingham and King's college London but i missed my chemistry grade and got a C instead of an A.
i got an offer from Aston in clearing but i don't really like the course or the university very much. i don't know, maybe i'm over thinking it, maybe i should be grateful I've been given an offer or maybe i should take a year out and resit, i just dont know. There is always the chance that i might not make it in next year either....! OCR chemistry is too unpredictable!

Any advice?

For now I've decided to resit my alevels while I go uni and hopefully be able to transfer to a better uni because I've talked about this with my parents and they are extremely against me taking a year out so I'm gonna meet them half-way. But tbh if you don't like the uni then it's better to take the year out and focus on your resits
Reply 19
Original post by cupcake2nite
No , i live too far to commute so will be staying there . Have you had a look around the campus yet ? What do you think of it ? I got my place through clearing so haven't had a chance to see the uni yet . What course are you planning to do ?

Hey, sorry to reply so late, Ive decided not to go Greenwich and resit the year. When I went to their open day, It didnt feel quite right personally. I was planning to study management and marketing there.

Good luck with everything and I hope you like Greenwich. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest