The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
rupertj
How did people find the physics exam? How many questions did you miss out? What did people you speak to thinkg about it?

well the head of physics who set last years paper has left now. So its unlikely to have been the same one as I sat. I found it quiet easy at the time. From what I've been told the current head of physics has a very different personality to the former.
rupertj
Out of curiosity, do you know much about Economics?

not very much im just interested in the subject, but i actually wanted to do theatre studies but it didnt fit the blocking system. but the economics exam was just common sense for the essays and like the questions were current affairs so it was not as bad as i was dreading it.
Reply 182
well to be honest some people found it really hard last year. I actually did better than I thought I did. i.e. I was expecting somewhere in the high 70s - low 80s. But got 92%.btw tryto remember and do the questions you couldn't do. You'll be asked about it at interview. oh yeah was there a question about parsecs in the paper.
Reply 183
Yeh I didn't get the second part of the parsecs question about angular diameter, I had no idea what they meant by measuring the diameter using angles???
Reply 184
Chemistry was very easy, I thought it was great how they let you choose which two questions to answer and the variety there was, i chose the first two. I think I got nearly full marks in it but for physics....thats a different story.
wilbsz
well the head of physics who set last years paper has left now. So its unlikely to have been the same one as I sat. I found it quiet easy at the time. From what I've been told the current head of physics has a very different personality to the former.

WHAT JMB has left?!
Reply 186
dinkymints
WHAT JMB has left?!

yep he left to become head of science at godolphin apparently.
Reply 187
saran35
Yeh I didn't get the second part of the parsecs question about angular diameter, I had no idea what they meant by measuring the diameter using angles???

you were meant to use trigonometry. That was in the paper I did. Was the last question about the man in the lift.
Reply 188
Would anyone like to answer my question about how many questions for maths are single maths candidates expected to get correct?
i actually dunno but i found maths alright- you just had to think about it, history- was ok aswell but i mucked up on the essay- spanish was quite easy but it was the easy stuff that i didn't learn. lol .when i handed in the essay(for spanish) i saw that everybody did 2 pages whilst i only did 1! Apart from that, i enjoyed history of art but i was a bit rushed for time :s
Reply 190
I had a look at the candidate list there and there was around 30 names on each page and there were 8 or 9 pages so around 270 maximum this year
Reply 191
wow you got candidate lists this year. You know it cost the school 19000 to rent out the hall. We did it in school last year. But because last year there were an unexpectedly large number of entrants apparently (350) I think the school decided to rent out the hall instead.
Reply 192
ough789
Would anyone like to answer my question about how many questions for maths are single maths candidates expected to get correct?

last year it was about half.
Reply 193
yeh it was about the man in the lift
Reply 194
does anyone remember what the question about solar eclipses was?
Hey guys!
I also really want to get into Westminster and took the exams yesterday :smile:

I took maths, biology, chemistry and latin.
One thing, i never saw a question about parasecs... or men in lifts?! There were 14-16 questions on a double page, that's all right?? :eek: I actually arrived fifteen minutes into the exam having run from the station due to transport for london... but I still managed to finish the paper and give an answer for every question although for the algebra question about a school trip I kept getting n as a negative number :indiff:
Currently I'm rewriting my personal statement. I didn't realise how important it really is.

Does anyone know for biology what actually happens when you cut off the tip of the shoot and then put some agar on it? And alsoo, how much do they expect you to get in latin? Because i remember writing about five translations for one scentence and thinking, all of these could theoretically be right, and choosing my favourite...

And another thing :biggrin: whats a good first scentence for a personal statement?
Reply 196
Hey! welcome!

I got a negative number for the school trip question too...weird. and maths was (i think) my worst exam. I just couldn't think clearly which was really annoying. I really get annoyed when I know I could have done better. I'm worried that my maths paper has let my whole application down.
I didn't do biology but from my own knowledge you use agar to make the shoot grow towards the light source.
How can you change your personal statement? I thought we can't change it after the application deadline.
saran35
Chemistry was very easy, I thought it was great how they let you choose which two questions to answer and the variety there was, i chose the first two. I think I got nearly full marks in it but for physics....thats a different story.

I thought chemistry was harder than general IGCSE stuff but I think I've done okay in it, and yeah Saran i chose the first two questions too, did you get the formula of propane as C3H8? And i heard a lot of people complaining about the physics exam afterwards...
ough789
Hey! welcome!

I'm worried that my maths paper has let my whole application down.
I didn't do biology but from my own knowledge you use agar to make the shoot grow towards the light source.
How can you change your personal statement? I thought we can't change it after the application deadline.

hey! And yeah, i said it would continue to show positive phototropism. I'm also worried that maths has let my application down but I'm only doing single maths so if the other subjects are better then it'll be fine im sure. And you supposedly cant but I'm going to rewrite mine and send it in because I really didnt think much about it the first time round, or even include anything much about EC activities and i actually do quite a lot :smile:
Reply 199
yeah, the physics paper according to my friend was extremely difficult and although she did finish it, many others could not.

Latest

Trending

Trending