The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by passage of time
it depends, are you planning to do futher maths?
if you are good at it and enjoy it, they stick to your option.
however, the entrance test is not like the questions you will usually get in a GCSE paper.

Totally agreed. And it's easier to get in doing single maths only because if you do further maths you are expected to get near full marks on the paper, but if you do single maths you're expected to get about half. The maths teacher told me after I mistook him for a pupil :smile: The maths entrance test is like maths challenge if you've ever done that before
Original post by bigbadpoo

Original post by bigbadpoo
Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry :biggrin: Will I see you at all??? :smile: Ahhh I still can't believe I got in! And well done to you as well :smile: :smile: :smile:

I choose chemistry and maths as well!!! so hopefully we can get into the same class~~~haha~~
I know!! I wasn't expecting to get in, cos the competition is so intense, but there we go~~~~haha~~~
Good luck to you in your GCSEs,only 6 As..I don't thinking that's really challenging to me...what do you think?
Original post by passage of time
I choose chemistry and maths as well!!! so hopefully we can get into the same class~~~haha~~
I know!! I wasn't expecting to get in, cos the competition is so intense, but there we go~~~~haha~~~
Good luck to you in your GCSEs,only 6 As..I don't thinking that's really challenging to me...what do you think?

Maybe we will! hahahh :smile:
I know, surprise right, I can still hardly believe it xD im soooo excited
and we got the induction day in may! :biggrin:
good luck yo you too! I don't think it's really challenging either, but I don't want to get complacent :smile: 6 As allows me to flunk French anyway :wink:
Reply 1183
I got in too O_o

Bigbadpoo, I'm doing the same subjects as you! :smile:

Guys is it me or did I read or hear somewhere that the school is going to send us a letter early this term with the dress code and what house we are going to be in? :s-smilie:

Speaking of houses, who wants to be in which? :biggrin:
Reply 1184
wow...3 years on, this thread is still going strong! I am now older and wiser than 2 years ago and now I am applying to unis. Let me just tell you all that if you get into Westminster, that's great, have a fantastic time and use it well. But if you don't, it's not the end of the world, people who don't get in still end up in great unis like Oxbridge. Have faith!
Reply 1185
Thank you ough789 :smile:
Original post by Psyche05
Yeah, she applied for a bursary and her parents had an interview with the bursar on interview day.

If you get 100% bursary do you still have to pay the acceptance fee?
Rich kid's thread lol
Original post by theharrovian
So... you a bit of an Abingdonian, huh? How many pages did you write for your Economics exam this time? 13? 14? Hmm? Got a bit of an essay going? Written a structure for your Westminster retake yet? Hmm? Confident about getting into Abingdon and Westminster? Hmm? Am I sensing a bit of misplaced overconfidence? A bit of... bipolar disorder? Hmm?

Just read through the entire thread and found this. Doesn't it remind you of Stewie from Family Guy? :tongue:
Original post by pompompandapple
Just read through the entire thread and found this. Doesn't it remind you of Stewie from Family Guy? :tongue:

Yeah... sort of based it on Stewie actually...
Hey, i'm in year 10 and am thinking of applying to westminster. i will therefore be taking exams in maths, economics, history and latin. How can i prepare for these? i heard the maths exam is really hard, would doing maths challenges help for this?

Thanks
Reply 1191
Original post by born confused
Hey, i'm in year 10 and am thinking of applying to westminster. i will therefore be taking exams in maths, economics, history and latin. How can i prepare for these? i heard the maths exam is really hard, would doing maths challenges help for this?

Thanks

Yep, maths challenge would help. The maths exams are a lot like maths challenge tbh, but of course not the same. And a little bit easier than the senior one, it has to be said :smile:

I don't know about the other three - I didn't take them - but I have heard that the exams change a lot from year to year, and I remember at the open day they just said learn what you've covered. The tests are designed to test your natural ability, I also remember someone saying, which is why the maths paper is how it is.

Any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
thanks
are the maths papers much harder than the imc, is it multiple choice?
Reply 1193
thanks
are the maths papers much harder than the imc, is it multiple choice?

Ahhh ya you see they are not multiple choice, and that makes it harder! Ermm...I don't remember it being that much harder than the imc. The first half of the questions are quite alright, actually, it's the second half that seems more challenging. Some of the last questions I'd say are harder than imc, probably smc. :smile:

Thanks

the latin exam is very hard

You can't really prepare.. you see, they're looking at your potential and your ability to think on the spot
So either you're their kind of student or not
Latin-wise, I'd revise your vocab though
Original post by therealOG
Rich kid's thread lol

ever heard of bursaries, dickhead?
Original post by forsaken_earth
ever heard of bursaries, dickhead?

Last I heard, only a tiny proportion of kids get bursaries. Dickhead.
Would you say that we should learn all of GCSE physics and chemistry if we have not already learnt it?
1217 posts :eek:
Hey everyone, first time posting here :smile: I actually made an account just to post on this thread.
I'm thinking of applying at Westminster this year. From what i've read it, the tests are near to impossible and even so the threshold is pretty high.
I'm just like everyone else, wanting advice about the entrance exams and interviews. If anyone could be so kind to help out it'd be great :smile: Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending