The Student Room Group
A couple of my mates were over before christmas and they said it was absolutely fine. Just a friendly chat more than anything else. I'll ask them tomorrow if you want?
its orite... the panel are ok... Friendly atmosphere...
this is one of my earlier posts... hope it helps:
This was my interview:

Umm, it went alright actually, nothing taxing. I was quite happy as they wanted me to explain how your handicap goes down in golf as one of them had just started playing golf!!! But it was weird as they didnt ask me 'Why medcine'. They asked me lots about the PBL course and the structure of the course. Also a recent article i had read. I mentioned this one:
http://www.hiptechblog.com/2006/05/19/robot-does-worlds-first-unassisted-heart-surgery/

This surprised them as they had never heard of it, and said 'OK, lets move on'. This made me a bit nervous. BUT, its there and done, so i hope nothing to worry about.
Also, they picked up on me mentioning chemistry in my personal statement and why i didnt do chemistry. I answered the ususal: Medicine is about being round people, being with people and integrating many skill all at one time which is what attracts me and not chemistry. I mentioned about research in chemistry blah blah blah.
Then one of the harshest questions was: 'Glasgow is considered the black deatch city of europe (or something like that), could you tell us why???'
I was stumped as this was a wide question. It was freezing there so guess where my mind was saying: 'The weather.'
She said 'no' and to try again. So i thought because its a massive city with lots of offices, i thought of fat people somehow and went on to say that 'there is a lack of exercise facilities.' She said that thats what she wanted. Then she went on to ask me that if the govt had unlimited money, 'how would they improve that situation'? I said that to have 'swimming lessons as this is the best form of exercise and cheaper gyms and have similar things to whats happening now: free dancing lessons for OAPs. And more educational awareness and restrictions to the amount of Burger kings and MacyD's.' This made then laugh and they said 'If only the govt had enough money 'eh?'

thats about it . I REALLY liked the city its an amazing place. All the buildings are modern and the uni itself has a massive victorian style building like cambridge, but not as good which has a lot of character. The Med school is modern which is good. I really enjoyed my stay there besides the waiting at the end for a plane!.

But i cant tell how it went because i think they might hold me against the chemistry stuff and the black death thingy!
Reply 4
Well it just depends who interviews you. Myself and a couple other people I know had a not so pleasant time. They asked me a lot of questions which I was sitting there thinking "How the ******* am I supposed to know that?" They also seemed a bit disinterested whilst interviewing me. On the other hand one of my other friends said her interview went really well and she had nice interviewers. It's just your luck on the day. Just be prepared to think on your feet and to not get intimidated by any questions they might throw at you. After my interview people told me they might just want to see how you react to the questions they ask you - so if you genunely don't know an answer instead of sitting there stammering just say you don't know unless you can think of something without sounding like a stuttering idiot =]
Reply 5
becca2389
A couple of my mates were over before christmas and they said it was absolutely fine. Just a friendly chat more than anything else. I'll ask them tomorrow if you want?

Ya thanks becca that would be gr8!
Reply 6
Pratik_thakkar
this is one of my earlier posts... hope it helps:
This was my interview:

Umm, it went alright actually, nothing taxing. I was quite happy as they wanted me to explain how your handicap goes down in golf as one of them had just started playing golf!!! But it was weird as they didnt ask me 'Why medcine'. They asked me lots about the PBL course and the structure of the course. Also a recent article i had read. I mentioned this one:
http://www.hiptechblog.com/2006/05/19/robot-does-worlds-first-unassisted-heart-surgery/

This surprised them as they had never heard of it, and said 'OK, lets move on'. This made me a bit nervous. BUT, its there and done, so i hope nothing to worry about.
Also, they picked up on me mentioning chemistry in my personal statement and why i didnt do chemistry. I answered the ususal: Medicine is about being round people, being with people and integrating many skill all at one time which is what attracts me and not chemistry. I mentioned about research in chemistry blah blah blah.
Then one of the harshest questions was: 'Glasgow is considered the black deatch city of europe (or something like that), could you tell us why???'
I was stumped as this was a wide question. It was freezing there so guess where my mind was saying: 'The weather.'
She said 'no' and to try again. So i thought because its a massive city with lots of offices, i thought of fat people somehow and went on to say that 'there is a lack of exercise facilities.' She said that thats what she wanted. Then she went on to ask me that if the govt had unlimited money, 'how would they improve that situation'? I said that to have 'swimming lessons as this is the best form of exercise and cheaper gyms and have similar things to whats happening now: free dancing lessons for OAPs. And more educational awareness and restrictions to the amount of Burger kings and MacyD's.' This made then laugh and they said 'If only the govt had enough money 'eh?'

thats about it . I REALLY liked the city its an amazing place. All the buildings are modern and the uni itself has a massive victorian style building like cambridge, but not as good which has a lot of character. The Med school is modern which is good. I really enjoyed my stay there besides the waiting at the end for a plane!.

But i cant tell how it went because i think they might hold me against the chemistry stuff and the black death thingy!

Thanks 4 the information and ur medical article is gr8 wit da stuff u said in the interview im sure ull get the place man gd luck!
Reply 7
I had an interview in December and it was very much personal statement and work-experience based. If there's anything unusual that you've done, be prepared to talk about it.

I was asked about PBL, teamwork and "What's your greatest non-academic achievement?" (Not a great question for someone who's achievements are almost all academic. :mad:)

I found that they kept prodding to drag answers out of me, compared to Liverpool anyway, who just asked one question after the other.

Latest

Trending

Trending