The Student Room Group

Completely terrified cannot choose a level subjects and quite anxious about future

Hello everyone :smile:

I am in a really difficult position at the moment in that I have no idea what to do for a levels as I don't know what degree I would like to do. Thinking ahead into the future makes me feel extremely anxious, so I didn't do exactly that and just ploughed all my energy into my GCSE revision. The upside of this was that I managed to beat all my target grades and got all a/a* but the downside is that I haven't really thought much about what I am going to do, nor can I choose which subjects to get rid of. It really makes me anxious that some people have a fixed idea and drive for a particular career and yet I have no idea whatsoever, I love all the subjects but I really don't know what I want to do yet. I am really worried because if I don't choose sciences now I won't be able to do a medical career, or if I don't do maths that rules out economics and aeronautical engineering :frown: My original four choices were economics, art, physics and english literature. I realise the subjects themselves are good but is this not a really useless combination, I am really nervous about it. I don't know what I want to do for a career and certain doors suddenly slam shut if I don't take particular options now, it is such a difficult decision because I worked really hard at gcse to do well in all my subjects, it is very confusing to make a decision that will change my life forever. I really enjoy essay writing and humanities; I like studying business and economics, as well as financial and social history, which is why I like english, yet I also like sciences, such as physics, which i find fascinating. I am not a naturally maths person yet I can do it relatively competently with lots of effort; I am just not quick like some people haha :smile: I work hard whatever I do and realistically could do most degrees despite not being the most intelligent person but I am very confused and anxious about what to do with myself. Please could you suggest some advice for me; I am not terrible in any particular area but I am neither better at the humanities or the sciences, they are sort of equal. If I do not choose maths, is that practically goodnight to many degrees that are financial, engineering or scientific? I am actually a little scared and upset because I work so hard and yet if i put everything into my work for the next two years and then get good grades but my combination of grades is a bit oddball, I am stuffed :frown: I am naturally quite indecisive but i am enthusiastic about almost any work or subject I will take, I was just wondering if any current or former potential six formers/college goers had any advice about keeping the options open without shutting off any career path. I may be naive and please correct me if I am wrong but it is apparent to me that in order to get into the top universities, you must know exactly what degree you want to do at this moment so you can meet their stringent entry requirements :frown:

Thank you for your time, James :smile:
Original post by concorde211

I am in a really difficult position at the moment in that I have no idea what to do for a levels as I don't know what degree I would like to do. Thinking ahead into the future makes me feel extremely anxious, so I didn't do exactly that and just ploughed all my energy into my GCSE revision. The upside of this was that I managed to beat all my target grades and got all a/a* but the downside is that I haven't really thought much about what I am going to do, nor can I choose which subjects to get rid of. It really makes me anxious that some people have a fixed idea and drive for a particular career and yet I have no idea whatsoever, I love all the subjects but I really don't know what I want to do yet. I am really worried because if I don't choose sciences now I won't be able to do a medical career, or if I don't do maths that rules out economics and aeronautical engineering :frown: My original four choices were economics, art, physics and english literature. I realise the subjects themselves are good but is this not a really useless combination, I am really nervous about it. I don't know what I want to do for a career and certain doors suddenly slam shut if I don't take particular options now, it is such a difficult decision because I worked really hard at gcse to do well in all my subjects, it is very confusing to make a decision that will change my life forever. I really enjoy essay writing and humanities; I like studying business and economics, as well as financial and social history, which is why I like english, yet I also like sciences, such as physics, which i find fascinating. I am not a naturally maths person yet I can do it relatively competently with lots of effort; I am just not quick like some people haha :smile: I work hard whatever I do and realistically could do most degrees despite not being the most intelligent person but I am very confused and anxious about what to do with myself. Please could you suggest some advice for me; I am not terrible in any particular area but I am neither better at the humanities or the sciences, they are sort of equal. If I do not choose maths, is that practically goodnight to many degrees that are financial, engineering or scientific? I am actually a little scared and upset because I work so hard and yet if i put everything into my work for the next two years and then get good grades but my combination of grades is a bit oddball, I am stuffed :frown: I am naturally quite indecisive but i am enthusiastic about almost any work or subject I will take, I was just wondering if any current or former potential six formers/college goers had any advice about keeping the options open without shutting off any career path. I may be naive and please correct me if I am wrong but it is apparent to me that in order to get into the top universities, you must know exactly what degree you want to do at this moment so you can meet their stringent entry requirements :frown:

There are a huge number of A Levels you could choose from to keep those options, it just depends on what your school/college offers. I would say Maths is a good A Level to take if you enjoy and can do it - it'll definitely keep a lot of doors open. I've chosen Maths even though it's not my strongest subject as I ca do well with hard work and I enjoy it :smile: You could also take a language (especially good if you took a language during GCSE) like French or Spanish. Being bilingual helps you stand out a little in certain jobs, especially those that require communicating with other countries. Any Science or Humanities subject would be a good addition too. Make sure to talk to your teachers and ask them for advice. They will have had students in the past who would have gone through the same problem and will be able to give you more reliable information. Good Luck with it :h:
Definitely take maths and a science (physics or chemistry are very useful even in medicine). A humanity can be very useful too. You can always do the humanities at uni even without the A level e.g history degree without a history A level I have been told is possible, but a science unless its a foundation degree wont be with humanities or Arts A levels.

But yes definitely take maths, unis really love maths... and maybe further maths if its chemistry/physics type degree

Pick the subjects you enjoy and you'll find a career path from there! Physics, Maths and Economics all compliment each other nicely if you like those three, but they're all hard, so a less revision heavy subject like English Lit (which is definitely more natural skill/ learning essay technique instead of learning content) or Art would work out really well! You'll find many doors open for you from these, from sciences to even studying English or History at University. :smile:

Remember if you do enjoy maths but worry you won't be too great at it, you can always drop it at AS (that happened to me!). I would just make sure to pick 2/3 "facilitating" subjects which will make sure you're a good applicant for the top unis, which Maths, Physics and English Lit are so dw! :biggrin:

For finance, to study Economics or a related course at a top uni Maths is definitely a must have, and if you do want to get into a financial career, the top employers will be looking for it at A level.
(edited 8 years ago)

Don't do A Level Physics, unless you're very good at maths. It basically is 50% mechanics.

Do t worry too much. All o can advise is you do ones your better at. For GCSE science, look how good you were with graph and applied questions, or in your coursework. When you weren't reciting knowledge.

For Arts, at uni they need less specific A Levels, just respected ones. Those are Maths/ F Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Languages, English Literauture, History. As long as you had say English for an Rnglish degree, a couple from anywhere else on this list and any other 4th subject wouldn't limit you.

For sciences, well, it's a little more specific.

If you need to keep your options as widely open as possible, then ideally Maths, History, Biology and Chemistry would leave LOADS open. All biological sciences, medicine , Economics, Law, Politics, History, even maybe architecture. You could swap History for English Lit, bu History is better for social sciences.

More important than any of this is you get 4A grades I'd say. So choose wisely! A level is a big jump, really think if you'll cope. I think you should avoid Maths, and possibly Physics as a result. There is no need to do it whatsoever, unless you want to do a science degree like Chemistry or Physics, or of course economics. you don't need it for a good medical school though.

If you do what you're naturally good at and enjoy, you tend to get a job which you'll find satisfying and be successful in.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you very much for a very informative and useful reply, I will try to follow your advice, thank you :smile:
I would advise maybe Maths Physics Economics and History or English Lit?

If medicine is looking interesting to you then Maths Physics Biology and Chemistry. For most Economics courses you dont even need Economics just Maths.

So I guess Maths Physics Chemistry and Biology can suit Medicine, Engineering and Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The first thing that comes to mind is that if you can competently do maths- PICK it! Maths single-handedly opens several doors for you in different careers and not everyone can do it making it a valuable A Level. Physics is similarly another subject that if you're able to do gives you many opportunities.
I didn't do art, economics or english literature but my friends who did eng lit & art enjoyed it a lot (a few struggled with economics but that doesn't mean you will!) I would think that art could be a good subject to have because of the lower levels of stress.

Maybe pick art as an option that is a little less demanding to balance your workload? Also, look up which subjects are required for different courses e.g. engineering reqiures maths & physics (and for chemical engineering, chemistry as well sometimes) The idea is to find a good combination that doesn't stop you from doing a course you want to do.

Good luck and don't worry too much- you can change the subject once you start within the first 3 weeks or so
(edited 8 years ago)
Most people have 6-8 career changes in their lifetime. What you choose now will not be the be all and end all. It's COMPLETELY OKAY if you don't know what you want to do for the rest of your life, because you can definitely change track!

There are things called foundation years in degrees (most science related ones have this) and this means that even if you don't have the necessary a level for that course, you can take this extra year which teaches you what you need to know, and then enter first year.

There are many degrees which don't ask for specific subjects, just good grades.

Honestly, just do what you enjoy the most in this moment. If you're interested in something, go and learn about it. Look at the specifications for the exam boards that your sixth form is doing. See if you are actually interested in the subject as an A level.

I'd recommend you do maths, science and a humanities subject (with either 2 sciences or 2 humanities, or one of each and a creative subject). Physics and chemistry are the sciences that will open the most doors (some medicine degrees don't ask for biology). History, geography or english literature will probably be the most facilitating essay-based subjects, but I don't know much about these since I do sciences.

Also, a huge number of people don't have jobs that are relevant to their degree anyway. If I do a science degree, I don't think I'd actually want to be a scientist. Transferable skills are important though.

You will be okay, remember that you are good at whatever you put your mind to, and now just decide what you want to put your mind to. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
It is indeed unfortunate that you (and everyone else!) has to make such a key decision at such a relatively young age.

Much of the above advice is sound, particularly with regard to Maths and keeping your options open.

Don't forget that there are degrees which mix arts, sciences and social sciences e.g. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/arts-sciences-basc/
If you don't know what you want to do why not take a science, maths, an english based subject like lit or history, and then maybe a language or art? Pretty broad covering all the bases there. Except medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest