The Student Room Group

English Personal Statement

Hi - have now written two draft personal statements for eng lit and I still believe both focus on completely the wrong thing. Wondering if anybody knows exactly what to include? It's my main paragraph I am most worried about. I focus on Victorian Literature, and take different novels and write about each for a while, but am not sure if it's organised enough and eurgh am just finding it very difficult to know if I am on the right track. Can anybody give me a structure for an eng personal statement, or just any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Without reading it (and I'm not saying to send it to me or anyone else) it is very difficult - you should focus on why you are interested in reading them and critiquing them. There is generic advice linked in my signature below :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ohitstia
Hi - have now written two draft personal statements for eng lit and I still believe both focus on completely the wrong thing. Wondering if anybody knows exactly what to include? It's my main paragraph I am most worried about. I focus on Victorian Literature, and take different novels and write about each for a while, but am not sure if it's organised enough and eurgh am just finding it very difficult to know if I am on the right track. Can anybody give me a structure for an eng personal statement, or just any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hey! I'm currently going into my third year of studying English Literature. With my personal statement I found it quite difficult to write my opening line so I went straight into writing the body of the statement and came back to the beginning at the end.

I can give you a loose structure of my personal statement but please don't take this as a definite structure that should be used by every single English student because your personal statement is supposed to reflect you as an individual and thats probably why there isn't a bog standard structure out there!

Intro - What literature as a subject/whole is to me, what i interpret it as and why.
P1 - What skills I have picked up studying literature up until now, I used a recent essay example here (explained it's topic and book subject and how I had used said skills)
P2 - what topics and authors I had explored throughout studying English up until now, I picked out two or three authors who I had studied in class that I had really enjoyed
P3 - I picked out my favourite author and explained why his work really influenced me and gripped me as a reader
P4 - How my other A2 subjects (Sociology and Media Studies) helped me in my literature studies in regards to contemporary media and social context
P5/conc - I outlined any relevant extra-curricular activities I had participated in, any achievements and any experience I had gained

I hope this helps you give some structure to your own statement but as I said before, please don't think that this is a set structure or the only kind of structure you should follow. As long as yours makes sense and outlines what you want to do and why then I don't see why it wouldn't be okay!
You don't need to put your A Levels (related or otherwise) in your PS - it won't make you stand out, as 99.9% of applicants will do English A Level and other similar subjects
Reply 4
Original post by Jess194
Hey! I'm currently going into my third year of studying English Literature. With my personal statement I found it quite difficult to write my opening line so I went straight into writing the body of the statement and came back to the beginning at the end.

I can give you a loose structure of my personal statement but please don't take this as a definite structure that should be used by every single English student because your personal statement is supposed to reflect you as an individual and thats probably why there isn't a bog standard structure out there!

Intro - What literature as a subject/whole is to me, what i interpret it as and why.
P1 - What skills I have picked up studying literature up until now, I used a recent essay example here (explained it's topic and book subject and how I had used said skills)
P2 - what topics and authors I had explored throughout studying English up until now, I picked out two or three authors who I had studied in class that I had really enjoyed
P3 - I picked out my favourite author and explained why his work really influenced me and gripped me as a reader
P4 - How my other A2 subjects (Sociology and Media Studies) helped me in my literature studies in regards to contemporary media and social context
P5/conc - I outlined any relevant extra-curricular activities I had participated in, any achievements and any experience I had gained

I hope this helps you give some structure to your own statement but as I said before, please don't think that this is a set structure or the only kind of structure you should follow. As long as yours makes sense and outlines what you want to do and why then I don't see why it wouldn't be okay!

Thank you so much - that's very useful! I had already gone down a similar structure, so am now not as worried as I was - seeing it written down is very useful - thanks again! If you don't mind me asking, where do you now study eng lit? Thank you :smile:
Thank you so much - that's very useful! I had already gone down a similar structure, so am now not as worried as I was - seeing it written down is very useful - thanks again! If you don't mind me asking, where do you now study eng lit? Thank you :smile:

Hey! Sorry to butt in but I saw this and know Jess so just wanted to say that she studies at the University of Essex now :smile:
Original post by Natalie.1
Hey! Sorry to butt in but I saw this and know Jess so just wanted to say that she studies at the University of Essex now :smile:

hi what career prospects does a degree in english have? is ti a very employable degree? whats the difference between an english degree and english literature degree?
@Jess194
(edited 8 years ago)

This might help.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563&p=37765516#post37765516
Reply 8
Original post by scrawlx101
hi what career prospects does a degree in english have? is ti a very employable degree? whats the difference between an english degree and english literature degree?
@Jess194

Heya! When looking at different universities and what the differences between an "English" course and an "English Literature" course were, I mainly found that English by itself tends to include both the literature and language aspect of English.

With regards to prospects, I think that there is the obvious pathways of teaching, writing, journalism etc. But honestly, I find that because English is quite a traditional subject, it doesn't limit you to any career prospects and it keeps the path quite open for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending