The Student Room Group

is there any disadvantage of applying next year over deferred entry

I'm currently in year 13 and having a crisis over whether I want to do medicine anymore
As the UCAS deadline for medicine/oxbridge is fast approaching and I am realising more and more that I do not actually know what I want to do for the rest of my life at 17, I am starting to consider a gap year.
So it looks like I'm going to have to apply for the 2017 cycle as I don't know what I want to do, I was wondering whether this has any disadvantages over deferred entry?
Also how do unis (including oxbridge) consider gap years (assuming you've done something worthwhile during the year e.g. work, volunteer etc.)?
The deferred entry/post-A2 application advantages depend on each uni. A lot of unis consider them the same, but I know Bristol may give a higher offer to a deferred entry application, so you may want to check this with other unis.

In terms of the gap year itself, for a vocational course like medicine then the more experience the better, so a productive gap year will only move to strengthen your application.

Quick Reply

Latest