I'm freaking out
Reply 21
Original post by macachiclana
WHY IS EVERYONE GETTING THEIR OFFERS ALREADY

I'm freaking out

Haha where are you applying to?
Original post by JayYY99
Haha where are you applying to?

I applied for Cambridge- I know they don't tell you if you are invited to the interview until November so that's fine...

But my first choice is UCL! Apart from that I applied to queen mary and Edinburgh.

Nice to see another international applicant! I'm from Spain :tongue:
Reply 23
I applied for Cambridge- I know they don't tell you if you are invited to the interview until November so that's fine...

But my first choice is UCL! Apart from that I applied to queen mary and Edinburgh.

Oh really? I am living in Salamanca at the moment.

UCL is my first choice as well, but I haven't heard from them yet.
I really hope they send me the questionnaire soon... Have you gotten it yet?
Original post by JayYY99
Oh really? I am living in Salamanca at the moment.

UCL is my first choice as well, but I haven't heard from them yet.
I really hope they send me the questionnaire soon... Have you gotten it yet?

Nice! Never been to Salamanca... I live in Madrid!

And no way!! I think in the email they said that they start sending the questionnaires around december... So I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think anyone apllying to Linguistics has the questionnaire yet

Anyway do you know anything about it? I can't find any info about them...
Reply 25
Nice! Never been to Salamanca... I live in Madrid!

And no way!! I think in the email they said that they start sending the questionnaires around december... So I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think anyone apllying to Linguistics has the questionnaire yet

Anyway do you know anything about it? I can't find any info about them...

tampoco encuentro nada sobre el cuestionario... Pero he oído decir que preguntan sobre los aspectos de lingüística: cual te interesa más, qué sabes sobre ellos, etc. Así averiguan si tienes pasión por la materia.

Ello! Romanian checking in. Which Cambridge college did you apply to? And I haven't got anything from UCL or Edinburgh other than acknowledgements either.
hey everyone, I didn't realise we had a thread...

I've applied to:
Queens' college Cambridge
Edinburgh
York
Newcastle
Leeds

I have A*AA predicted grades and have so far only had an offer (AAB) from York
Original post by JayYY99
tampoco encuentro nada sobre el cuestionario... Pero he oído decir que preguntan sobre los aspectos de lingüística: cual te interesa más, qué sabes sobre ellos, etc. Así averiguan si tienes pasión por la materia.

Buen español!!

Oh God... I don't know what to expect hahah! so scary
Original post by maracatinca
Ello! Romanian checking in. Which Cambridge college did you apply to? And I haven't got anything from UCL or Edinburgh other than acknowledgements either.

I applied to king's! crazy I know... how about you?
I applied to king's! crazy I know... how about you?

Oh my, King's is so beautiful <3 But yeah, lots of competition. Fingers crossed! I chose Christ's :h: What sold you on Linguistics, may I ask?
Oh my, King's is so beautiful <3 But yeah, lots of competition. Fingers crossed! I chose Christ's :h: What sold you on Linguistics, may I ask?

Good luck!

Well I had no idea what it was so I went to a masterclass for y12's in cambridge last feb and absolutely loved it! it was like an intro

how about you?
Good luck!

Well I had no idea what it was so I went to a masterclass for y12's in cambridge last feb and absolutely loved it! it was like an intro

how about you?

Oh, what a nice opportunity!

In my case, well I vaguely knew about it since like 2 years ago, but never paid much attention. Since I had relatively good performance in Chemistry and Science Olympiads and contests, I thought I'd be studying Biochem. But then I read some articles on language disorders and then explored more and just fell in love, really. I had someone told me my situation was like some rom-com, only with Linguistics as the strange unlikely friend turned love interest lol
Hello everyone I am applying for Linguistics + Spanish combination at Edinburgh and Oxford (Merton) and French and Spanish at UCL, Exeter and Durham. Anyone got offers from these places? Ps how is everyone feeling about Mlat next week?
Oh, what a nice opportunity!

In my case, well I vaguely knew about it since like 2 years ago, but never paid much attention. Since I had relatively good performance in Chemistry and Science Olympiads and contests, I thought I'd be studying Biochem. But then I read some articles on language disorders and then explored more and just fell in love, really. I had someone told me my situation was like some rom-com, only with Linguistics as the strange unlikely friend turned love interest lol

hahahaha that's the best i've heard! in my case i was so frustrated because i liked english lit, languages and all that but not enough to do them separately! so linguistics was there like "hey guuurl why dont ya come with me"
hahhaha
Reply 35
Original post by hennersftw
Hello everyone I am applying for Linguistics + Spanish combination at Edinburgh and Oxford (Merton) and French and Spanish at UCL, Exeter and Durham. Anyone got offers from these places? Ps how is everyone feeling about Mlat next week?

Hey, for Oxford I am applying to Spanish+Linguistics as well (but straight linguistics for my other choices).

Well, I think the Spanish part of the MLAT is pretty straight forward, but the linguistics part seems a bit random to me. For example, in the specimen paper they provided, I didn't know that something like the "pair conjugation" existed (in opposed to singular and plural), so I couldn't figure out some of the questions. So now I am just reading linguistic profiles of different languages so I will hopefully be more familiar with other unique linguistic features. But analyzing the vocabulary and grammar seems really fun to me.

What do you think about the MLAT? Have you sent in your written work yet?
(edited 8 years ago)
Omg!!! I also received an offer from king's for English language and linguistics as well!!! It should be my firm choice.

Original post by natwhite0
I've applied for English Language and Linguistics at York, Edinburgh, Sheffield, King's College London and English Language at Sheffield Hallam. My predicted grades are AAA (English Lang, Psychology, Religious Studies).

UPDATE: Received my first offer on Friday from King's! (AAB with an A in English or Psychology)
In case I need to present an argument in my interview, or at least show that I can consider different arguments (also this relies on my getting a Cambridge interview which is far from certain), what are the main arguments against Chomsky's transformational grammar/language acquisition device, because I've been struggling to find them.
Original post by JayYY99
I am applying from Hong Kong, and yes my offer was unconditional.

BTW have you or anyone heard from UCL yet?

I just did today, with an offer of AAB :h:, which is suprising because I thought they would send a questionnaire of some sort?
Original post by zxc_keito
I just did today, with an offer of AAB :h:, which is suprising because I thought they would send a questionnaire of some sort?

LUCKY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! I am obsessed with checking my email now :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending